Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.

Guest Message by DevFuse

C-MAX Energi membership upgrade information can be found here.

Photo
- - - - -

120V Charging Cord while Charging

electrical information?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

What is the problem with leaving the cord wrapped around the 120V charging cord adapter instead of running it out without loops as stated in the manual?

Heat?   Does it turn into a humbucking pickup?  An electormagnet?  What are the risks and is anyone doing it?  

Any electrician's or EE's insight and explanation would be appreciated.  .

Also,  is anyone plugging into a non dedicated outlet and just making sure that there is zero or a small amp draw on the same circuit?

I have been plugging into a dedicated 120V outlet, but for convenience I can use a closer 20 Amp circuit that only has about 2 amps being used besides the charger.

Thanks in advance for the insight and advice.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   CMXNRG

CMXNRG

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSouthwestern Ontario
  • Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi, Ford F-150

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

This is what happens to a coiled extension cord when it is loaded. Extending it out helps dissipate the heat

img_4156.jpg

• altabrig and Datagrrl like this

#3 OFFLINE   CMXNRG

CMXNRG

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSouthwestern Ontario
  • Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi, Ford F-150

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

You should be fine on a 20 amp circuit as long as other uses are less than 5 Amp. If they are more then that you will just trip the breaker. It may even be a safer circuit to be on. I believe i have read on here that the charger pulls 12 amps that means the circuit is running at 80% capacity. If your 20 amp circuit only has an additional 2 amps that circuit would only be running at 70% capacity and therefore cooler

P.S. I'm not an electrician or engineer but I have electrical experience.

Edited by CMXNRG, 04 March 2013 - 02:47 PM.

• altabrig likes this

#4 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

^Kind of what I assumed <20amps and its good, but the manual errs on the side of caution.

v Maybe not erring on the side of caution, but common sense with regards to charging with a coiled cord?  What about a few overlapping loops on the ground?   Surely heat would dissipate adequately with just a few loops on top of each other on a cold concrete floor?

This is what happens to a coiled extension cord when it is loaded. Extending it out helps dissipate the heat

img_4156.jpg

That would be an expensive charge cord cook if not a house in ashes.  Scary.  

#5 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

I charged it during the day this weekend with the cord coiled around the adapter/cord keeper.   I checked it by hand every half hour while working around the house.   I didn't feel any heat buildup, but that doesn't mean it is safe.

How about leaving a couple of open loops hanging from the J hook.  Can't see any issues with it except from the manual.   Problems?

Chunk's Charge Cord

Edited by altabrig, 04 March 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Large loops with even a little air space between the cords isn't going to be a problem.  The electrons won't even know they're going in circles!

• altabrig likes this

#7 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

^He he he.   I guess I won't replicate the hadron collider in my garage.

Any problems or drain with leaving the charge cord plugged into the socket outside of keeping the green LED lit permanently?

#8 OFFLINE   Valkraider

Valkraider

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

Mine is wrapped around the charger and hung inside a cabinet.

I haven't felt any heat yet, and I have checked a few times.

But I am going to keep checking periodically...
  • altabrig likes this

#9 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

I've noticed a little bit of warmth coming off the charger, but only in comparison to the cold air in the garage. I suspect we don't have to worry about it at all in the winter, but it could become an issue for people charging in the hottest part of the day in the summer, especially people in southern states. But since charging in the heat of a summer day is worse for the batteries than the cord, I'd suggest using a timer to charge overnight and there won't be a problem.

• altabrig likes this

#10 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Anyone keeping their cord plugged into the outlet even when not plugged into the car?

#11 OFFLINE   EVger

EVger

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

I do all the time. I believe the draw is very minimal.
  • altabrig likes this

#12 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, CA
  • Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 300A

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

I have it plugged in permanently via a timer to get the nightly/weekend rates. I also have it wrapped around the charger apart from a few feet (the car's port is right next to where I have it mounted). The cable gets comfortably warm, nowhere near hot. The cable sheath is rated to 105C I believe so it will be _very_ hot way before any failure.

I'd only be concerned if it were outside in direct summer sunlight. But it's not, so nor am I.

As a side note - I've not had a single failed charge. It sometimes doesn't do the port spin when I plug in without power on, and sometimes it does. MFM mostly sends me charge status e-mails (I get them plugging in without the charger on and on full charge), sometimes they are few hours late and once (today) the full charge one was skipped entirely. As long as it charges I'm a happy camper.

Edited by mipmapped, 05 March 2013 - 12:56 PM.

• altabrig likes this

#13 OFFLINE   paladinfello

paladinfello

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

I have it plugged in permanently via a timer to get the nightly/weekend rates. I also have it wrapped around the charger apart from a few feet (the car's port is right next to where I have it mounted). The cable gets comfortably warm, nowhere near hot. The cable sheath is rated to 105C I believe so it will be _very_ hot way before any failure.

I'd only be concerned if it were outside in direct summer sunlight. But it's not, so nor am I.

As a side note - I've not had a single failed charge. It sometimes doesn't do the port spin when I plug in without power on, and sometimes it does. MFM mostly sends me charge status e-mails (I get them plugging in without the charger on and on full charge), sometimes they are few hours late and once (today) the full charge one was skipped entirely. As long as it charges I'm a happy camper.

If you're using MFM why don't you use the charging profile and eliminate the timer?  I'm on PG&E's E-9A rate plan and I've set my charge profile accordingly.  Once Ford gets its act together hopefully we'll be able to add their Smartplan to the mix...

#14 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Because it won't always work at 110V. Check out mikeb's post here: http://fordcmaxenerg...progress/page-3

Extract:

Q: I use the Default Value Charge Profile at some 110 volt charging locations. The vehicle starts charging immediately even though the Default Value Profile low-cost time doesn't occur until later in the day. Why?
A: If the high-voltage traction battery temperature is < 50°F / 10°C, then the vehicle will start charging the battery immediately in order to provide the shortest charge time so your vehicle will be ready when you need it.

As an FYI, I use one of these, works great: http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Although I have to add a Home Depot short high current extension cord to get into the port on the timer.

Edited by mipmapped, 05 March 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Anyone keeping their cord plugged into the outlet even when not plugged into the car?

I do all the time. I believe the draw is very minimal.

I measured it at 3 Watts when the car is done charging.  I leave mine plugged in to the wall all the time.

#16 OFFLINE   paladinfello

paladinfello

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Because it won't always work at 110V. Check out mikeb's post here: http://fordcmaxenerg...progress/page-3

Extract:

Q: I use the Default Value Charge Profile at some 110 volt charging locations. The vehicle starts charging immediately even though the Default Value Profile low-cost time doesn't occur until later in the day. Why?
A: If the high-voltage traction battery temperature is < 50°F / 10°C, then the vehicle will start charging the battery immediately in order to provide the shortest charge time so your vehicle will be ready when you need it.

As an FYI, I use one of these, works great: http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Although I have to add a Home Depot short high current extension cord to get into the port on the timer.

Thanks for the info.  I haven't plugged in under 10% during an on-peak time so I've never noticed that.  Good to know.

#17 OFFLINE   tonyd

tonyd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAuburn, CA
  • Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

I did a careful charging test with my 120V charger.  Using the house meter I measured a constant 1.374 kW power from the wall for 5hr 19 min then the ring light stopped blinking and then it went out.  I assumed that the car was charged but NO - the charger continued drawing the same power for a further 35 min and then the green light on the charger went solid and the power drain stopped.  What is going on?

#18 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

I have noticed that if I pull out the cord when the led ring is off but the lower green light is blinking it is not at full charge and may continue to blink for an hour or more - which is weird. 

While the ring goes off, it must be still charging for a bit until the green goes solid? 

#19 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Are you sure it's not at full charge? I'm pretty sure it just drives the fans for a bit at the end.

Edit: I missed tonyd's post. Very odd...

Edited by mipmapped, 12 March 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Are you sure it's not at full charge? I'm pretty sure it just drives the fans for a bit at the end.

No, but the times I have pulled it while flashing after the ring around the charge port is off the car battery icon has been a smidge below full.   I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users