Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.

Guest Message by DevFuse

C-MAX Energi membership upgrade information can be found here.

C-MAX Energi Premium Memberships

Click here to learn about our upgraded memberships.

Ad

Ad

Photo
- - - - -

Procedure to start car to get heat going while still using house power

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   louisk

louisk

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi
  • Color:Ruby Red

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

So, I through that if I left the car plugged in and started it up with the heater/seat warmer going that it would continue to draw power from the house instead of the battery.  I tried that this morning and it looked like the battery was draining even though it was still plugged in.   The icon on the dash showed that it was still plugged in, but the mile indicator on the battery continued to drop even though it was plugged in.  Will the car not continue to draw power from the plug when it is turned on?   How do you get the climate controls working while still drawing power from the house plug?  

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Valkraider

Valkraider

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

The car can only draw at most 3.3Kw from the wall (with a level 2 charger - significantly less with the basic level 1) and the electric heating system uses almost 5Kw. Therefore the vehicle when plugged in and running the heat will be both pulling power from the wall AND draining the battery.

Instead of draining all 5Kw from the battery, you're getting up to 3.3Kw from the wall.

#3 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

The procedure for pre-heat, and still end up with a full battery, is to start your pre-heat well in advance of your use of the car. Once the cabin temperature gets up to the level you desire the wall power should top off the battery charge. I did my first experiment with it this morning and it will take some additional experimenting to figure out how to optimize (the biggest factor is the external temperature of the environment). One thing I noticed was that even though the battery was depleting, while I was plugged in, the charge ring on the car remained dark (I would have expected it to come back on since the battery was not at full charge anymore). I also noticed, in MFM, that the battery distance reduced but the battery showed that it was full which did not seem right.

Edited by Don, 20 February 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Volt
  • Color:White Platinum

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

I believe that someone mentioned that if you schedule a Go Time on a given day using MFM, the heating/cooling begins about 30 minutes before the scheduled Go Time.  I don't know if the 30 minute lead time would change if a different cabin temperature was specified but it seems like using the Go Times through MFM may be an easy way to get the desired temp at the desired time and still have a full battery at that time.  If others have experimented with this please post your results.

#5 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

I requested a cabin temp of 85 degrees this morning just to test it out.  MFM showed a range of 19 miles after charging completed at 2:30 this morning.  30 minutes before the Go Time it started heating the cabin.  I'm using the supplied 120V cord and it indicated that power was being drawn, but no blue light around the charge port.  I assume that's because it was fully charged and all of the power was going to the climate control.  At Go Time the car showed a range of 18 miles and was warm.  I don't think that it was 85 though.  Is there an easy way to tell what the cabin temperature is?

#6 OFFLINE   Valkraider

Valkraider

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

On 110v level 1 chargers you are unlikely to get it to 85. Especially if its cold outside.

My garage is usually mid to upper 40s this time of year. On 110 with it set to 72° it feels noticeably warm, and plenty comfortable. Much better than starting cold or having to use half the battery warming the car...

#7 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Volt
  • Color:White Platinum

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Even at a temperature setpoint of 85 degrees it began heating 30 minutes before the Go Time.  So it seems that the scheduled temperature setpoint does not affect how long it begins heating before the scheduled Go Time.  Thanks for the info.  I'm wondering if the 30 minute lead time would be affected by the charge voltage (240 vs. 120)?

I requested a cabin temp of 85 degrees this morning just to test it out.  MFM showed a range of 19 miles after charging completed at 2:30 this morning.  30 minutes before the Go Time it started heating the cabin.  I'm using the supplied 120V cord and it indicated that power was being drawn, but no blue light around the charge port.  I assume that's because it was fully charged and all of the power was going to the climate control.  At Go Time the car showed a range of 18 miles and was warm.  I don't think that it was 85 though.  Is there an easy way to tell what the cabin temperature is?

#8 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

On 110v level 1 chargers you are unlikely to get it to 85. Especially if its cold outside.

My garage is usually mid to upper 40s this time of year. On 110 with it set to 72° it feels noticeably warm, and plenty comfortable. Much better than starting cold or having to use half the battery warming the car...

My garage was probably mid-50s.  I was mostly curious to see if it would start earlier or dip into the battery range.  It looks like it didn't do either and I would guess that it got the cabin to 75.  

#9 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi - 303A
  • Color:Oxford White

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

I've been out of the country for 10 days. Did miss something? Last I knew, MFM didn't support our Energi's.

Rick

#10 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Welcome back. Yup, a lot has changed in the last week concerning MFM. The forum has added a MFM specific discussion and MFM website for the PHEV's went live. It also appears the app, for Android users, is live but no joy for iOS yet.

#11 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thanks Don. I'll go there now, but I'm iOS. :-(

Rick

#12 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, I am iOS SOL also. The workaround, for now, is to access the website on your iPhone and use the web based function.

#13 OFFLINE   Valkraider

Valkraider

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

The web site won't work on my iPhone. The sign-in button just never responds. It's strange...

#14 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

That is odd. iPhone 3s, AT&T, using Safari, iOS 4 something.

Maybe a setting in Safari (auto fill, etc.)

Attached Files

• Attached File  mfm.jpg   22.25KB   8 downloads

Edited by Don, 21 February 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Valkraider - I just created an account from iPhone 5 browser. Sadly step 3 of 4 requires me to confirm adding my car to this account by touching the MFT screen...which is sitting at the Hartford airport.

So close, but so far away!

Rick

#16 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi
  • Color:Sterling Gray

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

IOS app is out. Search "MyFord Mobile" with no space between my and ford.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users