Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Vibration

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tomkraj

tomkraj

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Ford CMax Energi

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

I have 600 miles on my Energi and feel a vibration when the ICE is running but not when on Electric only.  anyone else experiencing similar trouble?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

That is not unexpected. How much vivration do you get? I get some but it is much smoother than my Prius.

#3 OFFLINE   GUZZI

GUZZI

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNew Smyrna Beach, Floria
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Fusion Hybrid / 2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

I have the same thing in my NRG, especially when the engine is cold. The trans seems to be lugging the engine, but when it warms up, most of the vibes are gone. My 2011 Fusion Hybrid, with the 2.5 ice was only occasionally like that, but not as much vibes. Nature of the brute?

#4 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

I have been almost pure EV for the last week.  Compared to EV, any time the ICE kicks in is not so smoooooooooth.

#5 OFFLINE   NicksCMax

NicksCMax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

I haven't noticed any vibration, but I do notice a loud, annoying (and almost alerting) engine noise when I start up the ICE - doesn't happen with EV.  The noise is hard to describe, it's the kind of noise that people look at me thinking something's wrong with the car.  Dealer said the noise is ok; it DOES go away after several minutes.  Anyone else notice this noise?

#6 OFFLINE   jeffegg2

jeffegg2

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Locationwestland, mi.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

No shocking sound here, I can tell when the engine starts and runs, but nothing to startle me or thing that something is wrong....

#7 OFFLINE   GadgetGirl

GadgetGirl

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi, 1992 Ford Explorer

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

I notice the vibration when the ICE is engaged. We haven't warmed up enough (still below freezing for the foreseeable future) for me to determine if it is temperature related.

Addendum: The vibration that I notice is similar to when I would drive my manual transmission Explorer and be in too low of a gear. My driving to date has all been low speed < 50 mph, much of it below 40 mph. I will get a chance to see if the vibration occurs at higher speeds since I'm heading up the tollway Saturday night for a wedding. Unless we have bad weather, the average traffic speed will be approaching 75 mph (the posted speed limits tend to be ignored....).

Edited by GadgetGirl, 19 March 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   mremelman

mremelman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi / 2004 Honda CRV / 1987 Chevy Suburban 6.5TD 3/4 ton 4x4

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

One very surprising almost scarey noise the ICE will make is in engine braking mode.  If your HV battery

at max charge and you use hill braking assist or put the transmission into L, you will hear a scarey noise

from the engine,  when the computer engages it for braking purposes.  The first time this happened to me,

I almost drove off the road.  Screaming Banshies is the best description I can give.  The unholy noise

and engine makes when it is being pushed to an over-rev condition.  I wish these things had a tachometer

for the ICE...  Ford-- Are you listening?? Check CVT ratio before the ICE is thrown into the mix

for braking.  Taking the engine from zero speed to red line (that is what it sounded like) in miliseconds

can't be good for the power train.

By the way, my battery pack had hit 35 Miles of estimated range when the regen braking stopped

with no warning and the ICE kicked in for braking assist!

Edited by mremelman, 01 April 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   JohnE-nrg

JohnE-nrg

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationNebraska
  • Current Vehicle:94 Cougar, soon to be C-Max

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Yikes, thanks for the info. did you put the shifter into L Before you started going and it still made that noise, or did you put it into L when you were already going down the road?

#10 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

There is a tachometer for the ICE, it's one of the options on the my view page of controls. I put the tach and the engine temp display on that page, for the occasions when I actually run the ICE.

#11 OFFLINE   mremelman

mremelman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi / 2004 Honda CRV / 1987 Chevy Suburban 6.5TD 3/4 ton 4x4

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yikes, thanks for the info. did you put the shifter into L Before you started going and it still made that noise, or did you put it into L when you were already going down the road?

John,

I was already in L.  When the battery charge hit 35Miles, the charging dropped out (just like flipping a light switch), and the engine went from

zero speed to what had to have been close to red-line!  Ford needs to work on transitioning from regenerative braking to engine braking

(blend the braking as it approaches full charge).  This instant slam can't be good for the power train. 

Definitely is safety hazard from the scare the driver perspective...

#12 OFFLINE   JohnE-nrg

JohnE-nrg

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationNebraska
  • Current Vehicle:94 Cougar, soon to be C-Max

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

I wonder if switching it to EV later would reduce the chance of it being such a jarring transition.

#13 OFFLINE   tomkraj

tomkraj

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Lots to comment on here.  So in no particular order. 

The vibration I spoke of occurs when I am at relatively low speed (20-30MPH) and on using the ICE and I attempt to accelerate. The vibration can be felt in the steering wheel and is significant.  We used it call it lugging the engine (from attempting to accelerate with the tranny in too high a gear.  Not sure how you deal with that with a Continuously Variable transmission.  

THE DEALER SERVICE MGR SAID The Vibration WAS NORMAL with that engine. Wonder if there is a similar issue with other ICE engines of this size.  

Yes Ford needs to work on the transition from EV to ICE.  Far too rough. 2008 Prius was not good but this is jarring, unsettling.

There is a tachometer but it is certainly not the strong suit.  -   I'd almost say it is cheesy.  thanks for the tip on the temp gauge - I missed that. 

#14 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Tomkraj, try a different dealer. Sounds like something is wrong. We don't have any noticeable vibration and our transition from EV to ICE isn't even notable half the time.
  • EVger likes this

#15 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I have never felt any jarring; my transitions from EV to ICE have usually been completely unnoticeable - never any feeling of shifting gears.  Sometimes I hear the engine lugging, but it's nowhere near strong enough to shake the steering wheel.  Before buying the C-Max I read that there are active noise cancelation speakers which try to mask out the sound of the lugging engine, and that they intentionally run the engine like that at times for best efficiency.  Maybe your noise cancellation is not working?

#16 OFFLINE   tomkraj

tomkraj

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

New Info from EHow.  This description seems to fit my CMax Energi.  How about others that have felt the vibration in their Energi? While this author talks about the non hybrid Fusion, the ICE and transmission are likely the same whether talking about the Energi or the Fusion (non-hybrid). I need to check that to see if the same equipment.   

Some have suggested the noise cancelling devise on the Energi may need retuning - that may stop the noise but I doubt it will stop the vibration that I can feel in the steering wheel. 

"Torque Converter Shudder

Problems in the torque converter are another prevalent cause of vibrations, or shudder. Generally, you can assume your vibrations have stemmed from a torque converter issue if they seem to emanate from your transmission and they usually occur when you accelerate at a speed of between 15 and 50 miles per hour (mph). Many owners of the gasoline-powered (non-hybrid) Ford Fusion have reported transmission issues, the fix for which may involve a flush of all transmission fluids or a transmission control module reprogramming."  -- Read more: Vibrations in a Ford Fusion Car | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz2R8CUx1nu

#17 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

There isn't a torque converter in an Energi Cmax or Fusion.

#18 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:21 AM

I just picked up my NEW C-Max last Sunday. I have felt this vibration a few times. The first time it happened was after a hard acceleration and braking manuver to avoid a clueless driver making a no look lane change. It felt more like something in the electric steering than an engine vibration. I'll need more time to try and isolate the cause, but I wouldn't worry about it being a problem just yet.

EDIT: It is the ICE and it's a normal condition, IMO :victory: It vibrates around 1150 RPM and is most noticeable when taking off.

Edited by drdiesel1, 22 August 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Izzy

Izzy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

I notice a shudder when I am in EV later (using the ICE), on the highway going up hill.  I notice it to a much lesser extent, same hill, same highway, but in auto mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·