Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

CA Tint Job

tint % ca

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Frankman, I have been completely satisfied. The guy that came to my house was extremely nice and professional. It was very convenient to be able to work around my house while he did his thing.

I believe if you click on the schedule an install link the prices come up. I went with their premium tint which has a lifetime warranty and isn't supposed to cause any cell phone problems. I haven't noticed any. I believe they wanted 360 for nine windows, but when I told him four of the windows were extremely small, he took 40 off the price. They use a C&C machine to precut the film prior to arriving at your house for an exact fit.

I was so happy with the work I had them do the front windows of my truck.

I went with 15% on the rear and 30% on the front two.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Volt

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the information honemch. I am trying to decide if I should go with 5% in the back, or something a little lighter like you did. Is there any problem seeing out the back window at night through the rear view mirror? I was wondering if 5% would be too dark when driving at night. I'm thinking around 50% on the front four.

#23 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

I meant 30% on the front four. 50% would make it legal. I'd prob go with 5% on the rear if I did it again. The 15% is a little dark at night through the rear mirror, but there's a nice backup camera when reversing.

#24 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

I had 35% - 5% put on ours and am very satisified.  Enhances privacy with heat reduction and largely prevents casual glances revealing anything we might have in the back.

#25 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

I figured that you meant the front four windows. If someone asked me how many windows are in the Energi I would have said 7.  I forget about those two little front windows  :smile2:

I meant 30% on the front four. 50% would make it legal. I'd prob go with 5% on the rear if I did it again. The 15% is a little dark at night through the rear mirror, but there's a nice backup camera when reversing.

#26 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

If you get your front side windows tinted in California, it could be a problem.

Here are two other opinions on the CA law;

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

http://www.menifeebo...int-percentage/

But note this statement on the CHP web site:

http://www.chp.ca.go...ml/answers.html

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
  2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

#27 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Thanks.  I wanted to use 5% on the back windows for the privacy concerns that you mentioned.  Sometimes we remove the cargo cover (shade) because we need to put stuff in the cargo area that doesn't fit between the floor and the shade.  Without privacy glass, anyone can look in and see what is in the cargo area. Also, my sons complain that there is too much light coming through the second row side windows for them to see their tablet screens.  Our previous vehicle had a built-in screen that could be raised or lowered on the side rear windows.  

I had 35% - 5% put on ours and am very satisified.  Enhances privacy with heat reduction and largely prevents casual glances revealing anything we might have in the back.

#28 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

55% and 5%Limo (a little dark at night, but extra security).  I have had my other car broken into because someone wanted what they say and that car has stock privacy glass.  Decide to limo the rears on it too.   The 55% looks very light with the Limo in the rear for contrast.

#29 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Interesting, thanks for the links.  It seems that 88 percent light transmission is enough light to call it "clear" according to the information on the websites.

If you get your front side windows tinted in California, it could be a problem.

Here are two other opinions on the CA law;

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

http://www.menifeebo...int-percentage/

But note this statement on the CHP web site:

http://www.chp.ca.go...ml/answers.html

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
  2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

#30 OFFLINE   olidx

olidx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

I got the C-Max tinted last week, 20% in the back, 50% in the front, 3M color stable film, $250 installed. We have the panoramic sunroof, we did not add a film yet, for now it is cool enough.

I am guessing that the sunroof tint is 20% but not certain.

#31 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

You brought up something that I did not think about: the sunroof.  For those that have the sunroof a lot more light enters the car than if you don't have it.  I would think that 5 percent tint on the back windows would not appear as dark if the Energi had the sunroof, compared to an Energi without the sunroof.

olidx, are you happy with the 20% you installed in the back, or after seeing it on the car do you wish that you used a darker tint?

I got the C-Max tinted last week, 20% in the back, 50% in the front, 3M color stable film, $250 installed. We have the panoramic sunroof, we did not add a film yet, for now it is cool enough.

I am guessing that the sunroof tint is 20% but not certain.

#32 OFFLINE   scooter_scum

scooter_scum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Co

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

I've been pondering this problem this week. Here is my current analysis of tint options.  I think you have two or three reasons to have tinted windows.

1. General appearance - Just need to keep up with the Crips in the neighborhood

2. Security reason - if you can't see it, less chance you will have a random break in.

3. Heat reduction - Less load on the Air conditioning, the longer you can travel on batteries.

Some might be a combination of the above.  I've been focusing on #3.  My wife is big on comfort. She wants it 72 in the car... period.  With the amount of glass on the car, I'm going for Max heat rejection with the most light possible at the least cost. Chances are I will be able to optimize 2 out of 3 of these criteria.  One of the down side of some tints is the interference with Cell Reception.  It is a fine balance to Maximize heat rejection and still get an iPhone in ATT network call.  Maybe it is a good thing not to receive phone calls.  Hmmmm... 

There are a number of companies that do tint. The main players are 3M and Solar Gard film.  Generally speaking, the darker the tint, the more heat rejection.

3M has a couple of brands of tint. See http://solutions.3m....cts/Automotive/ for details

- FX-ST - a basic run of the mill tint with 31-46%  heat rejection.  Perfect for the Crips

- Color Stable - reasonable heat rejection 35-57% heat rejection

- Crystalline - Exceptional heat rejection (34-60%) with very little tinting.  Bat sh*t crazy expensive ~$500

Solar Gard has some nice options too.  See http://www.solargard...o-films/quantum for details

- Supreme - basic tint little heat rejection -- 25-42% heat rejection

- HP Supreme - Much better heat rejection -- 43-57% heat rejection

- Quantum - step up in heat rejection -- 41-61% heat rejection

- Ultra Performance - more light with adequate heat rejection - 40-49% heat rejection

There are tons of Groupon offers for 1/2 price tinting.  Most are based on cheap film.  If you are looking for real heat rejection, there will be a premium price.  My basic plan is to do the driver/front passenger windows with the lightest film -- say 50% light transmitted -- With the Solar Gard Quantum 52 will have ~41% heat reduction.  Do the back windows with a darker film -- say 37% light transmitted -- With the Solar Gard Quantum 37 will have ~48% heat reduction.

Will be talking to an installer soon.  Shopping price and availability of Solar Gard film.

Hope this helps -- or just make your decision more difficult. 

Edited by scooter_scum, 11 April 2013 - 07:41 AM.

• dr61 likes this

#33 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

Regular tint film is plenty good for UV and heat, IMO you pay a substantial premium for a slight gain.   Pay what you want$100,  $200, $500 laser cut or razor cut.  A good installer will stand behind the product and fix or replace it if you aren't satisfied.   A business I have used to tint 5 different cars has always fixed any problem without question and will pull and replace with a different product (price difference paid) if I were to be unhappy with the performance.   Shop overhead and location has big effect on price.  My2c is get it installed in the industrial part of the hood not on the blvd of cars.

What I can say is that whether the car is black or white, the regular tint from a good installer does the job without hazing, bubbling, or turning purple and will last a decade.

Heat - Installers who put put in a range of products, will tell you that ceramic gains are marginal but do offer a bit more cooling.   Car color is the big one.  

Security - if you have had a smash and grab because someone saw something in your car that they thought they should have - tint.    I had it happen in a vehicle with factory security glass.  Use the tonneau and the tint.  Better yet, don't leave anything in your ride.  For most of us, we leave valuables in our cars all the time - tech, docs, rec gear, etc.

Kids - Don't really want people looking in my car at kids, pets, or whatever I am hauling around.

Bloods - Don't want any popping caps cause I'm rollin' blue cuz.

#34 OFFLINE   olidx

olidx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

You brought up something that I did not think about: the sunroof.  For those that have the sunroof a lot more light enters the car than if you don't have it.  I would think that 5 percent tint on the back windows would not appear as dark if the Energi had the sunroof, compared to an Energi without the sunroof.

olidx, are you happy with the 20% you installed in the back, or after seeing it on the car do you wish that you used a darker tint?

Yes, I am satisfied and would not pick a different tint. 20% is the darkeness of a stock SUV with privacy glass: you will see the shape through during a sunny day but no details. That is enough for me, as 5% would be too dark in low light and at night to my taste. This is really a personal choice on how dark you like the tint. The sunroof may light-up the car but as it is also (at least 20%) tint, the effect is actually moderate, and you can pull the shade if you want privacy, so it did not weight much in for my choice.

#35 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

Thanks olidx. I was wondering what the percent was on the stock privacy glass we had on our newer model van that we traded in for the Energi. My wife liked that amount of tint on the back windows and I didn't know that it was 20%.

#36 OFFLINE   Cheekygrin73

Cheekygrin73

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBay Area
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi SEL

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Got quoted $300 in Walnut Creek - wondering if that is a rip off.. I know shop rents are high in that area - any other suggestions for the Bay Area? For driver and passenger windows backwards basically.

#37 OFFLINE   smangerer

smangerer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C max energi

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

Im getting mine done right now at Auto Tech on 5th street in SF. I was quoted $300 for 7 windows. I would say its fair as long as they offer free service for any issues that may, pop, up... get it? 

#38 OFFLINE   Cheekygrin73

Cheekygrin73

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBay Area
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi SEL

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Groan....! Cheers... :)

#39 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Seven windows?   Which windows are you not going to tint?

Im getting mine done right now at Auto Tech on 5th street in SF. I was quoted $300 for 7 windows. I would say its fair as long as they offer free service for any issues that may, pop, up... get it? 

#40 OFFLINE   smangerer

smangerer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C max energi

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

I didn't tint the tiny front two... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users