Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

feelings on EV tax ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFuquay Varina NC
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:50 AM

Good morning-

I was reading about the $1000 registration fees in Illinois for EVs.    I havent had to pay any fees here in NC but I noticed that I will soon, at the next tag renewal.  The first fee will be in the area of $100, going up to over  double that the following yr if the politicians get their way.

When I think of my 2013 C Max, I really like it alot for what it is.  The remaining battery capacity is only 3.3ish kw.  My range is approx 14-15 miles per charge in my area.   Seeing how the car is no longer made, seeing how it was never a long range model to begin with , seeing as its almost 7 yrs old and to be taxed the same as a long range, new models or a pure EV model just isnt right imo.

If the tax system can charge you based on your actual driven miles,  based on your exact driven EV miles or there about and then calculate what those EV miles are worth, I would say 'fine'.  Today many ICE vehicles exceed my C Max mpgs.  Should they be penalized for buying a fuel efficient car?

Not only the above mentioned gripes BUT also if I were to sell (try to sell) the C Max, such tax would make the car even more difficult to move.

Am I the only one feeling this way?   Is there something I am not seeing here?  I am fine with paying fair taxes but not a blanket cookie cooker fits all fee.

Later-

Tony

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 359 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:26 AM

A more appropriate fee would be an additional tax on tires.  They're the most reliable indicator of the amount of road wear your vehicle has caused.  That would be a hard sell, like any new broad-based fee; it's easy to impose new costs on a tiny minority like us.

But, I'm a radical and think that all limited-access highways should be toll roads.

#3 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:39 AM

maybe a pothole sensor along with tire wear could be used to indicate true road use too :wink:

• ptjones likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:07 AM

Good morning-

I was reading about the $1000 registration fees in Illinois for EVs.    I havent had to pay any fees here in NC but I noticed that I will soon, at the next tag renewal.  The first fee will be in the area of $100, going up to over  double that the following yr if the politicians get their way.

When I think of my 2013 C Max, I really like it alot for what it is.  The remaining battery capacity is only 3.3ish kw.  My range is approx 14-15 miles per charge in my area.   Seeing how the car is no longer made, seeing how it was never a long range model to begin with , seeing as its almost 7 yrs old and to be taxed the same as a long range, new models or a pure EV model just isnt right imo.

If the tax system can charge you based on your actual driven miles,  based on your exact driven EV miles or there about and then calculate what those EV miles are worth, I would say 'fine'.  Today many ICE vehicles exceed my C Max mpgs.  Should they be penalized for buying a fuel efficient car?

Not only the above mentioned gripes BUT also if I were to sell (try to sell) the C Max, such tax would make the car even more difficult to move.

Am I the only one feeling this way?   Is there something I am not seeing here?  I am fine with paying fair taxes but not a blanket cookie cooker fits all fee.

Later-

Tony

The proposed NC fee would start at $87.50 and increase to $137.50 in 2022. I am no fan of more fees.  Those buying EV's paid a premium usually like the idea that they are driving a more efficient car that is helping reduce pollution. The States original idea was that the use of EV's reduced pollution and this was an acceptable offset to the reduction in fuel tax collected. States are now taking notice that EV's are more The States view is now changing to view the EV cars as an additional revenue source.

As a practical matter I drive about total 13k miles(includes 6k EV miles) per year. The added tax will cost me from 1.5 to 2.25 cents per EV mile in additional cost. With the gas tax of 34.55 cents per gallon I have to enough EV miles per year to offset 250 gallons of gas the first year the new tax is implemented. 

In 6 years I have 83k miles on the CMax and have used 1016 gallons of gas. An ICE that gets 40MPG would have used 2075 gallons for the same 83k miles. I avoided buying 1016 gallons of gas saving $366 in NC state gas tax over 6 years. So the proposed new tax is definitely penalizing PHEV owners. 

Tom

No good deed goes unpunished! 

#5 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

Hello Tom-

Question:   So the tax is not yet implemented?   I thought it was, and that it would get me  at the next inspection.

Nice work on maintaining all the C Max records :thumbsup: .

Tony

#6 OFFLINE   kyledamron

kyledamron

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Energi Titanium

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:17 PM

Ohio has implemented a $100 tax per year on hybrids, paid at registration. $200 per year on plug-ins and electric vehicles. Ouch. For someone who drives 7,500 miles a year that's going to hurt. (2.6 cents per mile) Sounds like I'll be running almost exclusively on electric power except for highway trips. I've got to make up that difference.

#7 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

Didn't the Illinois article state PHEV will not be charged a fee because they use gas? 

#8 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:15 AM

This is from a site called the Car Connection:

avatar-image-for-sszymkowski_100684881_sSean SzymkowskiContributor
  •  

May 13, 2019

Electric car owners in Illinois may soon face an annual $1,000 registration fee to offset uncollected fuel taxes.

The Chicago Tribune last week reported on the proposed registration fee, which would be 60 times more expensive than registration for a standard vehicle with an internal-combustion engine. The $1,000 registration fee would not apply to hybrid and plug-in hybrid cars.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just one story, I hope its correct and that other states follow similar thinking.

My only gripe is that our C Max, while plug in capable, only get a handful number of miles even when the battery is in optimum condition.  I sure wouldnt hesitate to weld the charging port shut if I could officially transgender the Energi to Hybrid. 

:

#9 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:03 AM

Hello Tom-

Question:   So the tax is not yet implemented?   I thought it was, and that it would get me  at the next inspection.

Nice work on maintaining all the C Max records :thumbsup: .

Tony

The NC  Senate Bill 446 (Electric/Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle Reg. Fees.) was introduced on 4/1/2019. The last update was on 4/17 with the bill going to the rules committee. So it has not yet been passed in the senate and to my knowledge has not been proposed in the House. If passed as currently written the effective date would be Jan 1 2020.  My hope is that the bill dies in committee. Time will tell if the legislature will act on this bill.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·