Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Any benefit to Energi after battery is empty?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   taiwwa

taiwwa

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationWest Virginia
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Null

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:46 PM

I'm a current cmax hybrid owner. Considering an Energi as a second. I do a lot of ride-sharing. For my usage today, I could have gotten two charges worth of mileage out of an Energi.

Taking into account conversion losses, 6kwh gets you about 20 miles range. My area is 12 cents per kwh so 72 cents for 20 miles, and $1.44 for 40 miles. My hybrid gets about 40 mpg and a gallon costs $2.8.

However, once the battery is depleted, you have an extra 300lbs of dead weight.

Is there any benefit derived from the Energi design that is worthwhile, once the battery is depleted? Or does it function as a worse hybrid, losing both mpg and cargo space?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:29 AM

Unless you'll be heading down a hill that will more than fully charge your hybrid then I can't think of any advantage to the Energi.  Just the disadvantage of the lack of cargo space.  And remember that you won't be getting 20 miles of EV range if you use heat at all.(or go up hills or travel at highway speeds)

#3 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:10 AM

When running the engine I get a pretty constant 38 MPG, having does several longer trips and using my CMAX in the cold I have used the engine about 50% of my 77K miles. 

#4 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:02 AM

The Advantage of having an Energi is best when driving short low speed trips. Around the city where I live the EV range is enough for most of the time. On the Hwy I switch to EV Later and run as a Hybrid. If you are driving mostly long Hwy trips the Energi loses its appeal. 

My most recent 220 mile Hwy round trip driving about 70MPH achieved about 39MPG. 

Tom Doe

#5 OFFLINE   taiwwa

taiwwa

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:49 PM

My state has a $100 yearly penalty/fee for PHEV cars. Doing the math...I would need 3000 EV miles to break even with this penalty, or about 150 full charges, each year.

#6 OFFLINE   JeanLucBlue

JeanLucBlue

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX ENERGI

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

I agree with Tom_NC_1, I too am a city driver and i can go days on just the 'plug in' power (and clever ways of braking I learned on here)  and never touch hybrid mode. I do run in hybrid mode when on the freeway, and at those times, I take very opportunity to regen when I can by switching between the modes and using 'L' gear.  So, the Energi works well for me. I do miss the cargo room though.... I have a 2013 with 44,699 miles on it. If i drove a lot more, I would have gotten the Hybrid model over the Energi. 

#7 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:17 PM

MG2 is powerful on the Energi and recharges the hybrid battery pack during coasting and braking.   Thus, it is not too difficult to obtain more than 20 miles per charge.   West Virginia has more hills than where I am in Pennsylvania.   Enjoy the ability to utilize the power of the Energi where today I gained 3.6% state of charge by coasting and braking down a 0.65 mile hill in southwestern Pa. .    That said, it is stupid to drive in EV until the battery pack is "empty".  Read Raji's posts.  You want to mix EV later with auto to maximize efficiency and to promote durability of the hybrid battery pack. 

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm on my way back from Fredericksburg VA today.  I drove there almost a week ago, arrived Wednesday and shut off the engine 7 miles from my destination and did the rest on EV power.  Did not use the engine from last Wednesday until today.  I had about 52mpg on the trip down and upped that to 60.4mpg by the time I left today by driving 100% EV 7 miles back and forth from the hotel to the field and back on route 1 at speeds of 45-50mph.

Today I drove back from there to Purchase NY.  I used EV power from exit 126 to exit 130 driving down route 1 to use some EV before starting the engine and getting on I-95.  From there I drove non stop to NY where I stopped to eat just short of the GW bridge.  It was a 301 mile trip, I used only 1.5kwh of battery and net 50.3mpg.  107 miles were EV many from the ICE cycling on and off on I-95.  From there to purchase I got 96.9mpg as I used 2.5kwh of battery but I was unable to finish the entire battery since I refuse to drive it up hills or at fast speeds.  Its OK, I don't have to use it all.  Its state of comfort is most important, there will be other opportunities.  I am at 56.9mpg now for the entire trip which is 915 miles so far.  Will go home the rest of the way tomorrow.

Your EV battery should yield closer to 30 miles if you use it properly.  Do not leave it in Auto and drive until empty, piece meal it out here and there where appropriate.  The Energi opens alot more doors than the hybrid, definitely buy one if you can but make sure the battery is not abused and take care of it.  I should say that you should not think of the plug in battery as a way to get around without using the engine at all.

Since you drive rideshare, I'll give you some advice about that.  Drive from your home to the city where you want to give rides on the engine, then use the battery in the city where the speed is 25mph or so.  If you get on highways start the engine.  Keep switching back and forth so that the battery will last you several hours.  If finished take a break from driving get something to eat and recharge it once if its not hot and you can be in the shade, don't charge in the sun in the summer (winter OK sun is weak and its cold).  Try to limit EV usage to about 10kwh per day max.  Its not all about today, you have to save some battery for tomorrow and the next day and the day after that.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 07 May 2019 - 05:22 PM.

• taiwwa likes this

#9 OFFLINE   taiwwa

taiwwa

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:47 AM

Since posting this thread I've actually been more interested in the fusion Energi or the Kia Niro PHEV. Why couldn't the C-Max ever get adaptive cruise control?

#10 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:32 AM

With the Niro PHEV, keep in mind Kia/Hyundai don't include electric heaters in their PHEVs so if you turn on cabin heat, you turn on the engine, no matter what - and there's no preconditioning on their PHEVs either.

The Honda Clarity is a good choice too - all come with TACC - though Fusion Energis will be less expensive used since they're older.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·