Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

What led you to the ENERGI in your Car Ownership History?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Richard C.

Richard C.

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWashington State
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

This is my first post on the forum.  Let me begin by saying that I sure appreciate all of your posts.  I've learned a lot in a very short time by reading them.

I bought my Sterling Gray C-Max Energi about 3 weeks ago ... the very first Ford I've ever owned!  (I've been a Toyota man for the last 25 years, buying a new Toyota every 2 or 3 years).  I slowly graduated over a few years from a regular Camry, to the Camry Hybrid.  Finally, this last Jaunary I purchased the Toyota Rav 4 EV.  I'm a "greenie" at heart, and have always liked the idea of moving away from ICE vehicles.

The Rav EV was a major fiasco, and completely turned me away from Toyota.  I'll fill you in, but try to abbreviate so as not to bore you.  I knew Toyota only sold the Rav EV in California, and initially required all EV maintenance to be performed there.  I really wanted that car, so I repeatedly wrote to Toyota USA to entice them to permit out of state sales and service.  After initially telling me no, they later relented - telling me that I needed to do two things before proceeding.  Find a California dealership willing to sell to an out of state buyer, and to secure a local dealership willing to commit to servicing my EV.  Both were easy.  A very willing seller in Carson Toyota, and then I proceeded to my local Toyota dealership.  I met with the service manager, who confirmed they could and would service my Rav EV.  I stressed that the Rav EV was a very special beast (with Tesla powertrain, etc), and I was assured they had 3 technicians with full EV certification for the Rav.  I asked for, and received that assurance in writing.  I now felt safe to order my Rav!

I ordered the Rav the first week of January, and received it here in Washington State a few days later.  What a wonderful car.  Toyota was rather cheap with the interior, but the Tesla powertrain is fantastic.  But about 6 weeks ago, I contacted my local Toyota dealership to notify them I was ready to schedule my first service.  I wanted to give them a heads up, as I heard on the Rav EV forum it required a unique plug for the required software updates - different than what the Prius plug-in uses.  Since I was the only Rav EV owner in the area, I knew there was a learning curve for many of us.  They responded that they would quickly look into it and get right back to me.

2 weeks later after hearing nothing, I stopped in the dealership and asked for the service manager.  It was then they told me that while they would service any standard items, for all EV related service I would have to ship the Rav back to California.   !!!???!!!   After briefly considering a lawsuit, my wife and I decided to just unload the Rav (in spite of my love affair with it) and write off Toyota.

Now, the good stuff.  My wife initally bought a Volt (which is a terrific car too), but she had trouble with visibility issues, and quirky problems with heating and software issues.  Being a big guy, I also had trouble getting in and out without wrenching my knees.  She bought a C-Max Energi (Ruby Red) soon after it came out and absolutely loves it.  Since I had never owned a Ford, I was reluctant to accept it at first.  It seemed to drive nice and smooth, it was extremely quiet, it was comfortable ... but it was a FORD!!!  Well, my eyes were soon opened, and after the Rav EV fiasco, I also bought an Energi.

Ford has nailed it with this automobile (assuming the reliability holds up).  I love this car and they may have succeeded in finding a new loyal owner.  My driving needs are small, so I drive almost exclusively electric.  My MPG is maxed out at 999.9, and I only charge at home.  Sometimes I use the standard 110v charger that came with the vehicle, but I also have a Leviton level 2 charger installed (originally for the Rav) that makes a quick job of charging.  I desperately want to install solar panels, but I live on a golf course ... and I can't find a solar company that will guarantee their work against a severe hook.  My house regularly gets pummeled by golf balls (I have buckets full if anyone is interested!), so solar may be just a dream for now.  Fortunately, our power is hydropower, so our rates are reasonably low and green.

This post is long enough, so I will end it for all of your sake.  Thanks for letting me join the club!  From a completely new Ford fan.

Edited by Richard C., 08 October 2013 - 09:51 PM.

• mikeb, dr61, Don and 2 others like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

Great story Richard.  You certainly made a valiant effort to make the Rav EV work for you!  It's interesting to read your positive comments on the Energi after your experiences with other hybrid vehicles.

Welcome aboard the forum.

• Richard C. likes this

#43 OFFLINE   Spritely

Spritely

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Why I bought a C-MAX Energi. My last car was a 2000 VW Passat GLS 4-cyl turbo, 5spd manual, bought new. I enjoyed every mile in that car, loved the tight steering, solid feel, sound of the engine, and near-luxury interior. I had to love it because I also put up with the hefty repair bills. My son is driving it now.

I can't recall where I first saw the C-MAX, whether in print, TV or web, but I was smitten with the form factor. I like that it's small outside, big inside, that it has tons of carrying capacity with the seats down, that I can easily put a bike inside. I also like that it's from an American company. It was time to replace the aging Passat and my top criterion was a car that would to reduce my carbon footprint as much as possible. I initially was considering the C-MAX Hybrid -- losing half the trunk and the extra cost of the battery in the Energi didn't make sense (at first). I went to a dealer to check it out. I drove a hybrid SE and then an Energi. The dashboard design really turned me off after my Euro sedan -- it struck me as over designed and over complicated. Driving the Energi though, I was impressed by the EV mode and the seamless switch between EV and gas-powered modes. The ride and handling struck me as well composed, but not as good as my Passat. Then I learned about the $3,750 federal tax credit for the Energi and my objections to extra cost of the Energi fell away, because I would have bought the more expensive hybrid SEL model anyway. I figured the Energi cost less than $1,000 more than the Hybrid SEL after the tax credit. Then I started thinking about my usual driving needs: most drives under 30 miles round trip at low average speeds in metropolitan-area traffic. And I remembered my childhood dreams (in the 60s!) of driving an energy-efficient electric car. The more I thought, the more enticing the Energi became.

Still, the over-designed, over-complicated C-MAX dashboard stuck in my craw. I went to a Toyota dealer to look at Prius. I liked the modernist interior design better, and there's more storage space in the console, but interior materials even in the higher-end Prius 4 and 5 are not as nice as C-MAX. Prius hasn't changed since 2010, so a 2-to-3-year-old used Prius with low mileage would have been fine. There seemed to be plentiful supply of recent models with 20k miles for just under $20k. Hmm, save over $10k vs. a new Energi and keep my bank balance $10k higher? Nothing bad about that. Being an engineer, I wrote a list of pros and cons: used Prius vs. new C-MAX Energi. The used Prius won. But the Energi beckoned. I took my wife with me to the Ford dealer. We were treated horribly. The salesman didn't even acknowledge my wife, usually the kiss of death. But she liked the Energi.

I came home and started working on a spreadsheet. Would the Energi save gas $ and would it cut my carbon footprint below a Prius? I quickly learned that's a complicated calculation. Then I discovered the DOE web site http://www.afdc.ener...c_emissions.php. I highly recommend this site if you're considering an EV or PHEV. It shows that on average in the US, a PHEV like the Energi actually has a slightly higher carbon footprint than an HEV. But when I put in my zip code (Massachusetts), I discovered that because of cleaner-than-average electricity sources in Massachusetts, a PHEV has about 25%  lower carbon footprint than an HEV. Plus I'm nutty enough to pay a surcharge to my electric company so they'll supposedly provide me with electricty from renewable sources, so the PHEV (or EV) advantage over HEV should be even bigger. This clinched the deal, in my mind.

I went back to the dealer at the end of the month, always the time to get the best deal, and used my horrible experience on the second visit to get a really good deal on an Ice Storm Energi 300A package. THANK YOU, American taxpayers, for subsidizing the huge battery in my trunk.

Now that I've had it for 6 weeks, here's what I LOVE about my C-MAX Energi, in no particular order:

• driving more than 550 miles of 800 total in EV mode; I've used less than 1/2 tank gas and have yet to put gas in it!
  •  after the first 2 weeks of battery break-in, routinely getting 24-26 miles of EV range, more than the 21-mile spec;
  •  the smoothness and quiet of EV mode is way more fun to drive than I expected; it gives the same feeling of tight connection between accelerator pedal and vehicle motion that I liked in my manual-shift Passat;
  •  the roomy feel of the interior,
  •  the compact size makes urban parking a breeze,
  •  the quietness of the interior
  •  the solid road feel,
  •  the higher-than-a-sedan driving position and great visibility
  •  the ease of entry and egress;
  •  all the instrumentation of the power train, enough to satisfy any engineer :wink: including the Engage display that shows EV and gas power, battery miles remaining, etc.
  • ALL the electronic features: backup proximity sensing, auto headlights, rain-sensing wipers, EV+ mode, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, push-button ignition, touching the door handle to lock/unlock, hands-free phone interface, fancy interior lighting, lighted charge port, and so on
  • quality interior -- not as nice as my 2000 Passat, but quite decent
  • hands-free phone interface, and ability to play music via Bluetooth
  • nice looking alloy wheels
  • the Darth Vader sound it makes when it's charging
  • buying a car from an American car company

And here's what I don't like so much:

• Still not crazy about the dashboard design and aesthetics, but I've gotten used to it
  • lack of storage in the center console
  • Microsoft name on the dashboard -- it's bad enough that I have to use Windows all day and all night. Do I have to look at it when I drive?
  • Sloppy fit of some body panels
  • MyFord Mobile web site and phone apps -- I see the promise, but this stuff barely works right now
  • SYNC works, but it gives no joy. Apple has shown the way to do UI design since the 2007 iPhone introduction -- there's no excuse in 2013
  • The voice command system works, but the grammar is inconsistent and inflexible.
  • Exterior styling is too busy for my taste. I like simpler, sleeker styling
  • I like this car so much that I know I'll keep it a long time and am sorry I didn't spring for the 302A or 303A package

But, did I mention that the EV driving feel and range are amazing! Buy it, you'll love it.

Edited by Spritely, 14 July 2013 - 06:54 PM.

• Richard C., MarionSpyder NY and GTIguy like this

#44 OFFLINE   YellowZx5

YellowZx5

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationStarksboro Vermont
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

I bought mine because I was getting ready to trade in my 2011 Fiesta Hatch. Love hatches and since 2001, and have yet to want anything but a Ford.

My partner works at the local dealership and my brother-in-law works at another Ford dealership. I tried getting a D plan pin from the brother in law, but he bought a fiesta and his mom did too.

Well my partner messages me about the Energi and I did quite a bit of research on them to understand how much money on gas I would save was awesome for me. He consigned just for the discount which was awesome as well.

I was able to lease a 2013 C-Max Energi SEL 302 for $100 less a month because of an additional rebate for dealers. The car reptiles for 37 and got it down to 33.

I have owned it for a month almost and the first tank went well, but since then I have learned quite a bit of tricks to get more mpg out of braking. I also plug my car in to the local Nissan or Ford dealer since their within walking distance. I have made it home 2x on pure electric and I live about 20m and its literally all uphill. I make it to work with 11m remaining.

So in a nutshell. I love this car and want to see what the 2015 refresh has to offer because this is such a fun car to drive.
  • MarionSpyder NY likes this

#45 OFFLINE   spaceman007

spaceman007

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationManitouwadge

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Congrats. I pick my car up in a few days and I am excited to be the first person in 1000km or 600 miles in any direction with one. I got a great price because I got 0% lease financing, employee pricing, and a government rebate as a down payment. Seems like a no brainer for me.

#46 OFFLINE   spaceman007

spaceman007

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationManitouwadge

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

I also have just bought my very first ford. I had thought I never would after my parents were always plagued with service problems with their fords that never seemed to be covered by a warranty. Yet they were loyal because they loved the way the cars drove and how practicals they were for our lives.

I have always loved cars. I mean really loved them. There are not a lot of cars I have not driven. All most every brand in north america ranging from small little geos to hundred thousand dollar sports cars like Mercedes and Ferrari. I would guess that I have driven more than 300 different vehicles ranging from cars and trucks to planes, heavy equipment, farm equipment, motorcycles, snow mobiles, ATVs, boats, various other watercrafts, and much more. Just about everything except helicopters and school and... Never a ford c-max energi before I bought one. I take delivery in October 10th. 300a ruby red with black interior and block heater.

I am excited to own a new ford. I believe they are without a doubt one of the best car manufacturers in the world right now. Beating even the Asian and European car dealers who have lost their edge. I will provide a fill review once I take delivery and get to know her.

#47 OFFLINE   rednip

rednip

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationStratford
  • Current Vehicle:2007 - GT500

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

Interesting reading the reasons for purchases. For the past 20 plus years I have been driving work vehicles. I use to put on 80 - 90,000 Kilometres per year. Therefore, comfort was very important. My job did not allow me to stay off the road when we got hit with winter storms. Therefore, size and 4 wheel drive where also important. I drove explorers and escapes, our work fleet also includes a number of Volkswagen, Chevrolet vans and cube vans which are all Desiel.

For just the fun of it we have a 65 Mustang convertible, 67 Mustang Fastback and a Shelby GT500 2007 and my wife always drove a top endTaurus. On a personal note my brother was a Ford employee and getting the "A" plan pricing meant no hassles trying to cut a deal at a dealership. Therefore, we have owned a number of Fords.

Recently, we both retired and I had to start to pay for gasoline. The debate was either Desiel or plug in. Most of our miles are short distance drives and the economics of the Energi won hands down given the Ford pricing versus the Passet. In our province desiel fuel is less expensive then gasoline. Oh did I mention my wife is into saving the environment as well.

We ordered the Energi after significant research. Had we not already made a decision given the run around to find a certified dealer I am not sure we would not have ordered something else. To date there is absolutely no marketing of the Energi (Cmax in general) and Ford does not seem to interested in bringing them to Canada. However, we have ours. It is my wife's car which she really likes (historically she would drive but not really care a bit about the car). This vehicle is different for her and with about 5,000 Kilometres on it she still talks about it with others and the fact that she still has about 3/4 of a tank of gas (first refill).

We take a car to Florida for the winter (Shelby convertible) but we are going to try using the Energi when we fly back for Xmas and other business to see how it likes our winters. Given retirement if the roads are bad we simply no longer have to be on the road.
Thank you

#48 OFFLINE   Corndart

Corndart

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationW Washington
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

I bought mine for two reasons - lower operating costs and have something better to commute in than my Jeep. Couldn't be happier with the purchase after 2 weeks and over 850 miles of driving.

My commute is 26-28 miles each way, between 1/3 - 1/2 of that in stop and go traffic depending on time of day, which exact route, phase of the moon, and some other random variables that I can't quite determine. In a vehicle that gets 17 mpg, that translates into between $60-75 in gas every week for the commute plus weekend and non-commute trips. Ouch. Operating costs of the Energi so far have been roughly 1/3 of that over a two week period of time, even factoring in electricity costs. Fortunately I am able to plug in during the day at work, albeit for a  fee ($.50 / hour).

As nice as my Rubicon was (for a Jeep), the Energi is orders of magnitude better of a commuter. The amount of the tech in the car is great, loving the Sync and the hybrid system. I miss sitting up higher a little bit, but don't miss rowing the 6 speed gearbox in traffic, the noise of the interior (even with a hard top), and the interior designed by Lego.

It's not about saving the planet, or keeping is out of foreign wars for me. I think it's great if those things matter to you, and if it helps you justify the Energi  then good for you. But don't generalize all hybrid owners as sharing the same set of beliefs, because they don't (based on my limited sample set of about a dozen hybrid owners), myself included.

I will disagree slightly with the anti-GM / Chrysler crowd who are pro-Ford merely because they didn't take money from the government during the crisis a few years ago. The reality is that our cars are most definitely funded by tax payer dollars, both directly to you as a taxpayer (the $4,000 federal income tax credit), and indirectly to Ford as a manufacturer who invests in hybrid technology and receives incentives from the government to do so.

#49 OFFLINE   jjanner

jjanner

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationSouthern Florida

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

I've had a variety of cars over the years. In 2008 I bought a new Mercury Grand Marquis because I wanted a flexfuel car and E85 was starting to appear in southern Florida. Also, with regular gasoline at $4/gallon, Ford was selling these for about $21k after rebates and discounts. I really wanted to buy an electric/hybrid car, but I didn't consider the technology mature enough. I convinced myself that my next car would be PHEV. Fast-forward 120k miles and five years and I've been enjoying my 2013 CMax Energi tremendously since 9-30-13 purchase! I enjoy driving, and the economics work great with my 21 mile commute. I charge overnight at home on 110v, and at work on a Blink 220v. My first tank of gas took me about 1,200 miles and I'm on track for similar with the second tank. I also enjoy the full torque from 0 RPM--the damn thing is fun to drive!

Inventory was getting pretty thin in southern Florida, and to get the panoramic roof and Sony sound system I bought my first black car. I love it, especially with the black interior. The human factors engineering of this car is excellent. It reminds me of everything I loved about my 2005 Scion xB.

My first wallpapered car (wife and kids, naturally on the touch screen). Reminds me of a story my dear mother would tell, of how she put a small snapshot of my sister and I on the dash of my dad's old Ford, so as the speedometer needle would approach top speed he would be reminded why to slow down and stay alive. Now my daughter is getting her learner's permit, and she can't wait to get her mitts on my Energi. I'll have her learn to drive on my wife's Corolla instead.

• Richard C. likes this

#50 OFFLINE   dumbcomputers

dumbcomputers

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

When I got out of College I bought a brand new 1997 VW GTi VR6 and Supercharged it

Life went on...got married...had a daughter...Got a 2005 Toyota Matrix....I really liked the Matrix but it was getting rather old and showing it's age.

Traded the Matrix in and got the C-Max Energi...

Attached Files

#51 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,270 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'll skip all the other boring cars I've owned and the 40+ non-boring motorcycles I've had over the years and limit this just to the fuel efficient realm. 

My first wasn't a hybrid at all since it was 1984 but it was incredibly fuel efficient not only for its day but even today.  A tiny two seat Honda CRX HF (high fuel) in which I got about 43mpg in town.  It was my first new car and its low running costs allowed me as a young man the freedom to go places most others in my place couldn't afford to.   I could squeak by on less than $20/month if need be.

Fast forward many, many years to my 2010 Prius.  I couldn't stomach the looks of the earlier versions but the 3rd Gen along with the cool new solar roof pushed me over the edge.   Great car but a little boring and small.

leftrear.jpg

The Volt and its new plug-in technology touched me deeply.   Even before I got the Prius, I went to a very early pre-production factory test drive/demo and was instantly fell for the EV drivetrain.  After prices came down some after the first year, I got a 2012.

F450DCB9-2EF6-4B02-9806-1AC0413B4BB8-520

Such a slick machine that truly made me grin every time I drove it; however, my family needs changed and a larger vehicle was needed as the rear seats were too small and the rear hatch wasn't a flat load design.

So I traded it in on an SEL CMax hybrid.  

2DA61B31-40D5-454C-BCB3-90F6A1AAEE0F-320

It was larger and more plush than the Prius.  I missed the big fuel economy numbers of the Volt and the great acceleration that its 275ft/lbs drivetrain offered but the CMax excelled in nearly everything else.  So much so that my wife really liked driving it and was always coming up with reasons to take it.  Yes that would be a clue of things to come.  

I was beginning to really miss EV driving so I went and test drove an NRG this summer.  Told me everything I needed to know <wink> but their deal was bad.   Fast forward a few more months and the Ford plus dealer plus federal incentives made it too hard to pass up. 

null_zps4848eabd.jpg

Now not only am I now an NRG owner, we are also CMax family.

81a5dd2c-9696-4df0-b2e5-56b5448a334d_zps

Edited by fotomoto, 20 December 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   mcgyver68

mcgyver68

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:42 AM

This was the post I intended to reply to:

16 years old - 1973 AMC Hornet, with failed alternator and engine top-end held together with 1980's RTV. I bought six batteries off the scrap pile behind the Marathon station and kept them on 24 hour charge in my mothers apartment storage closet, using them in rotation as the previous ones were depleted. I knew NOTHING about cars or how to fix them. The car lasted two weeks before stranding me and my good buddy in a snowstorm requiring a tow which wiped out my bank account. Then I couldn't get rid of it. Even scrap yards wanted me to pay them to take it away. Eventually I started to learn about cars by dismantling that one, piece-by-bloody-piece and discarding the pieces in various public dumpsters. It took over a month, but I threw that car away in trash cans. Ahh to be 16 again.

16.5 years old - Purchased a one-owner, 1976 Chevy Malibu with a 350 V-8 from my aunt. $200 and she took it in payments. Gasoline was 75 cents a gallon. World.... GTFO of my way!  I loved that ridiculous land yacht and I took the time to learn how to maintain it. Things were going badly at home and the clock was ticking for my to emancipate myself and probably leave Illinois. I realized that a cross-country drive might be in my near future and that car, that I drove like I stole it, was going to have to carry me to wherever. I did trans service, coolant, changed the oil frequently. I learned about alternators and R-12 compressors. Heck, I even rebuilt a complete Rochester 4-barrel quadrajet on a small table in our apartment!  I really LIKED working on cars. Soon though, things at home went to hell in a hand basket, very quickly and I had to leave immediately, which meant abandoning my beloved car, quitting school, hitch-hiking to O'Hare and catching the CO Red Eye to Los Angeles.

17 years old - Now essentially homeless in Los Angeles, with $300 in my pocket, I went to a Yamaha dealer to inquire about making a down payment on a motorcycle. The Sales Manager, kindly containing his laughter, and noting the desperation in my eyes, took me in his car to his girlfriends house in Van Nuys. She had a nearly-new, 1986 Yamaha Jog, a 49cc, banana yellow thing with a basket.... that she had just crashed. It ran fine, but the front end was munched. She let it go for $300. I drove that thing for four months. I had a job on closing shift, so I could just pick it up and put it in the back of the store at night. Vehicle thefts were huge in LA at the time, but no one could get my fruity little scooter. Eventually I managed to fry the electronic ignition module. The part cost more than I spent on the scooter. and frankly, I was getting tired of GUYS whistling at me, so with a few saved paychecks under my belt, it was time to part ways with the little yellow scooter.

17.3 years old - Purchased a 1968, VW Micro Bus, $600, off a couple of douche bags who claim to have recently rebuilt the engine. It lasted around five weeks, during which time I was able to transport a woman in late stage labor to the hospital because she was able to lay on her back with all the seats out. I'll always remember that.

17.5 years old - Back to the Motorcycle Dealer, in search of my testicles left there six months earlier. I rolled out with a right, proper Virago 650 street cruiser. I loved that bike. Making up for time lost aboard the the little yellow scooter, I got more umm, 'attention' from women than I could handle, which at that age, is saying a lot. Life was grand, for a couple of months, until I got hit by a couple of Vatos sliding across my path while in a curve in Burbank. Bastards just clipped my crankcase. Rear end slid out and my right handlebar and brake lever dug in to a parallel parked pickup truck and ripped the sheet metal almost the entire length of the vehicle. Inertia was arrested as the handlebar met the firewall of the truck, the bike spun a sharp 90 - right, my ass was launched right through the fairing, landing head-first on the hood of the pickup truck before crumpling to the ground on the other side.   Miraculously, I got away with bruises everywhere and an injured neck that still causes trouble to this day. I grew up a lot in the next few weeks.

17.8 years old - Using an ID that passed me for 18 I went to my local Chevy Dealer in search of safety, frugality, and adulthood. I had a steady job, even got promoted to assistant manager. Housing was still an issue, but I reasoned that an actual car, in a pinch, could double as a shelter. Being a new car would subject me to less scrutiny from cops and others who chase away people sleeping in cars. They actually took my wrecked motorcycle in trade... and they put it in their showroom for a time to promote safety, or some goofy thing. I rolled out in a 1987 Chevy Nova, which was a less expensive version of the Toyota Corolla, made at the NUMMI plant up in Fremont, which has long since closed and is presently occupied by "SOLYNDRA". LOL

That little Nova/Corolla took me everywhere! I kept it for ten years and put well-over 250,000 miles on it. I brought my first born child home in that car in 1995. It never failed. It was a stick shift mated to a 4A engine. In the mid-90's I worked in automotive aftermarket, so I had access to low-mileage Japanese take-outs for dirt cheap. At one point, I had a couple of engines and several transmissions for the car laying around, as well as full ignition sets, carburetors, whatever. I took that car apart so many times that I really became quite an expert on that vintage of Toyota.

Early 30's - I've got a good job now. Managing a Technical Service department for a mid-sized Engineering firm in Los Angeles. The Nova/Corolla still runs perfectly. But I've kind of out-grown it, second child on the way, have to wear a suit to work each day. My wife was driving a Volvo 940 and it was a great car. So when the Used Car circus came to my credit union, I went down there and came across a high-mileage 1995 Volvo 960! Yea! An upgraded 940, right?  Right? RIGHT?

No way!  The 960 was an entirely different animal. I could write a book on all the incredibly expensive crap that failed on that car. The final straw was a blown engine with a hearty crack between # 3 and 4, which I did NOT detect, as I proceeded to rebuild the entire thing. 3 weeks and $5,000 in parts later, it ran like crap. I gave it to a friend who worked for Volvo and had access to less expensive options.

After Volvo - I figured Toyota had been good to me once, so I paid way too much for a used 99 Avalon. The car had been thrashed by a previous owner and it had the dreaded oil sludge issue common to that vintage Toyota V-6. AND it had this annoying as hell rattle in the front end that I could not get rid of, even after replacing the entire suspension. The car ran fine, but that rattle drove me insane.

Mid-30's - The Avalon was still rattling, and I had a lengthy commute to and from work each day.... and it was now after 9/11, and I was feeling like maybe I ought to be driving an American brand car. So I visited the Saturn Dealer near my work. I was interested not the the homely plastic crap boxes they typically pushed, but rather the new L-300 line which was essentially a re-badged Saab 9-5 for 2/3rd's the cost. I bought the top of the line and it truly was a sweet ride. Acceleration, handling, braking, pure SAAB. Also just like SAAB, came the major engine damage failures at 30,000 miles with their "quirky" little internal oil/coolant/ cooler combo stupid thing. But hey, this was a Saturn store, all about the customer service. So they did the job for me for free, all 16.5 labor hours of it. Six months later, I smelled coolant burning, again. On the same morning, the fly-by-wire system glitched on me while launching up a freeway on-ramp into traffic that was cruising at 80+. This was the second time this happened. first time was as I was turning in front of a moving cement truck. OK, that's about enough of this.

Later that morning, in FEB 2007, I rolled up to the Toyota Dealer. I found some half-asleep kid struggling to get his tie put on straight. I told him to leave the tie alone. I told him I had exactly one hour to get out of my car and into something better and if he could get that done, in one hour or less, I promised him a great sale. 47 minutes later, I rolled out in my new Camry Hybrid. Tie-less kid and his manager in my rear view mirror shaking their heads in disbelief.

Typical Toyota. The car was GREAT! The dealership was a den of thieves and liars. I went there exactly once for service. Then I went home, got my tools out of storage and proceeded to service the car by myself for the next 100,000 miles.

Fast Forward to SEP2013. The Camry is asking for donations. After spending thousand of dollars trying to keep the car in pristine shape, I come to realize that automotive engineers have honed their skills to the point where cars really do, just fall apart after the designed life expectancy has passed. One kid is an adult now, the other is a teenager, neither are home very often. I work from home half the time, travel the other half. I have a great job, with a generous car allowance. I can literally buy and drive anything I want. This has never happened before! It may never happen again! Being able to choose anything I wanted, I ended up in a C-Max Energi.

Great Topic by the way.

#53 OFFLINE   Izzy

Izzy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

I've always driven Asian cars--Hondas, and most recently, a Kia Rondo, which was great but juuuuust starting to need a fair amount of work.  And it had also been hit by a drunk driver, and wasn't quite the same after that.

So I posted on FB, asking friends what they liked/disliked about their cars.  

Honestly, the RAV4 and CR-V were at the top of my list, until one friend posted that he'd just gotten an Energi, was I considering it?  No, I hadn't been, but Ford should pay him a commission, because he was very persuasive (unlike the first idiot I talked with at the Ford dealership)!

After test-driving a C-Max Hybrid, I was so impressed with the car, I decided I didn't need an SUV after all, and compared C-Max with the Prius-V.  While I really liked the dash layout and the trunk space of the Prius-V, the driving experience was no comparison.  And here I am!

• amerifolklegend likes this

#54 OFFLINE   amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi, Volvo XC70

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

I, too, was a predominantly foreign car kind of guy.  I never had any disdain for American cars – although I have never liked Chevy’s just because they always seemed a bit behind the times design-wise.  Through most of my life, I bought and sold a few used sedans that were just fine for me to get to work in (Camry, Accord, Topaz) but were otherwise forgettable.  I never really put a lot of thought into a car.  I just have never used one enough to want something nice.

When I started getting serious with my now wife, we started becoming more responsible and building a real-life adult life together.  Part of that was buying a house, part was buying a car, and a later part was having children.  When I married her, I married into a Ford Family.  Her father retired from Ford before I even met her and she had a Mercury (whatever their version of the Escort was.  Tracer, maybe?   I can’t remember what it was called now.)  Since she got the Z-plan, we kind of always just bought new Fords once we started going through cars.  We had an Escape and then a Mariner.  But then something strange started happening:  Her parents and sister loved the cars we’d buy and they’d immediately buy the cars we had.  It was weird.  Like, even in the same color!  We had a black Mariner.  You know what happens when you host Christmas when you live in a family like that?  You guessed it:  A driveway full of black Mariners.   Buncha weirdos.

But then Ford was trying to sell off some of their brands around the time we were up for buying a new car.  We missed the boat on a Range Rover that my wife really wanted and the Jag she wanted was too steep for us, so we set our sites on a Volvo.  We had just had our first child and my wife was adamant than she was never going to drive a minivan.  She loved Volvo wagons, however.  So we bought a Volvo wagon via the Z-plan eight days before they sold the brand off and we have never had duplicate cars in our driveway since.

About ten years ago now, I had a business that I had sold off and “retired” for a year.  This was about the time we were starting to look for a house.  I had a pick-up truck (Dodge Dakota) that I acquired through a  friend and used that when I needed to go shopping or whatnot through the day while my wife worked.  That truck died and I never got a replacement.  I would drive my wife to work and pick her up each day and that worked pretty well.  But after about eight months, I got really bored of being home.  When you’re in your mid-thirties, you don’t golf, and all your friends work all day, there’s really not a lot to do.  Our house was always clean and I cooked some pretty epic meals, but I was getting bored of it.  I took a job working with a family friend just to pass the time and stop me from spending money.  When I got the job, I needed a car.  I just wanted the cheapest car I could buy just because I only needed it for seven miles a day (my commute at the time.)  I bought a Hyundai Elantra new.  It was cheap.  It was low-end.  It was stripped-down.  It was perfect for me.  I drove that thing to eight years.  In that time, I put 42,000 miles on it. 

But as our two girls started getting bigger (now 3 and 5,) I realized that I needed an adult car.  For the first time in my life, I was buying a car for myself for a reason other than simply getting me to work and back.  The Volvo, as you can imagine, does not get great gas mileage.  Plus, I’m kind of a technology/shiny things nut and always like to have neat stuff that makes sense.  I decided that my next car was going to be a lower model with more stuff rather than a higher model stripped down.  As I started growing up, getting married, and progressing in my professional life, those cooler things started becoming more in line with my budget.  I was getting to the point where I could get a car that was nice AND had seat warmers and leather and a nice technology packlage.

About three years ago I started becoming obsessed with the idea of an electric vehicle when I was bragging to my wife about having gone a month without buying gas for the Elentra while she was filling her car up every five days.  I thought, “How awesome would it be to never have to get gas?”  For me, it was perfect:  Next to nothing to charge (compared to gas) and I wouldn’t put any miles on it.  But the drawback of the all-electric was two-fold:  We’d still have to drive the Volvo on longer trips and my wife was not sold on the reliability of all-electric.  She’s still not.  But this car is improving her opinion.  When the C-MAX Energi started becoming more visible, I convinced myself that this was the car I would buy.  It was large enough to accommodate our growing family while affording us the flexibility to take on longer trips with still-great gas mileage.  Win/win!

For about six months or so I had been watching the price of the Energi and the stock at the local dealerships.  In late September the deals were too good and the stock was depleted enough for me to swoop in and take my car.  I had tried to get maximum trade for the Elantra but was satisfied with the offers, so I walked.  On the 30th of September, I went back late on a Sunday, proclaimed that I would walk out with the car I wanted if they agreed to my trade request, and they accepted it.  I was finally a proud new Energi owner.

Now that we have this car, the in-laws love it.  And they’ll most likely  buy a C-MAX Energi at some point in the future and we’ll be back to having multiples in the drive-way at Holidays.  But with any luck, we’ll be onto a Tesla by then and our worries will be behind us.

(After reading that, I appears that I am kind of a superficial douche sometimes.  But while it bothers me, it REALLY bothers my wife.  She has worked hard her whole life to be her own person.  For some reason, she just loathes that her family copies her.)

Edited by amerifolklegend, 25 November 2013 - 10:04 AM.

• Richard C. and jjanner like this

#55 OFFLINE   edweird

edweird

• 182 posts
  • LocationDaytona Beach, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Every car that I have ever owned has been a Ford, and my C-Max Energi is my 11th.  Many of the company provided vehicles, and most of the rental cars I've driven have been from Ford/Lincoln/Mercury.  My previous daily driven car was a 2003 Ford Focus SVT, which was the third SVT vehicle I have owned.  All things considered I have liked Fords and seen things improve a lot over the years, and when compared to other vehicles, prefer them.

I wanted something with more infotainment and electronics in the center stack than my previous vehicles, and had plenty of exposure to Sync and MFT (and competing systems) in the rental cars I drive for work when travelling.  I also have grown to like the smaller size but versatility that my Focus hatchback offered.  I almost bought a 2012 Focus but reported issues with the transmissions and MFT at the time made me wait.  The C-Max Energi was a really good fit for my driving habits which are mostly short around town trips (I work from home some weeks) and occasional longer (50-100 miles) drives to an airport for travel.  I would have considered an Electric Focus if the range was 100+ miles but the current model falls short of that.

I expect to drive about 200-300 miles a month, with 80% or more being in EV mode.  The flat land and mild winters here in FL will help me keep my ICE off.

#56 OFFLINE   maxmsp

maxmsp

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, California

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Interesting to see many people mention having owned VWs in the past here. I am a new owner -- really psyched about the car -- and the Energi is my first Ford. I grew up in the era where Ford meant the exploding Pinto, the Gran Torino driven by Starsky and Hutch, and the ubiquitous LTD Country Squire. My grandfather was a loyal Ford guy and bought an LTD every couple of years -- every one would have one of those classic ball compass things that hung from the rear-view mirror.

I have owned many VWs and a couple of BMWs dating back almost 30 years. I couldn't imagine myself owning an American car a couple of years ago. My first experience with "modern" Fords was renting a Focus in Switzerland a couple of years ago. When we picked it up it had fewer than 10 kilometers on it! The Focus drove wonderfully in the mountains and was very secure in the rain, so I started paying more attention to Ford and in particular electric and hybrid technology. I've hated driving the Prius, so I've been hoping for hybrid efficiency with the fun of a European car. The C-Max feels as fun to drive as that Euro Focus but much quieter and as a tall person I really appreciate the height inside. Reminds me a bit of the (old) New Beetle. I also like to think of myself as driving the world's smallest school bus.

#57 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

My previous hybrids were an 08 Prius and a 2013 Prius C. I was trying to buy the Energi before getting the Prius C. The dealer pulled a dick move and I wound up buying the C. After having it for 3 months, I found my Energi at another dealer in the next town.

The dealer made it work for me and I had my car within 3 days. I went with the Energi because of the 7.6 kWh battery and the 21 mile rated EV range. Also because it's not a Prius and it's more like a standard car. It's the best of both worlds for me. All the nice options on the Energi make it that much better. Driving a Prius is like driving an ashtray.

#58 OFFLINE   FLBoy

FLBoy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSW Florida
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

Over the past 20 years I have owned the following vehicles in the following order.  Ford Explorer, Ford F-150, Toyota Camry, Prius, another Prius, Nisson LEAF, and now Ford C-MAX Energi.  The LEAF was an excellent car for 99% of my current driving needs.  It was the other 1% that became an irritant.  For example, the LEAF did not have the range to get me to and from the nearest commercial airport.  As a result, I decided to back away from the pure EV and go instead for the plug-in hybrid vehicle.  I compared currently available PHEVs and concluded that the C-MAX Energi would best meet my needs.  I can drive around town in EV mode most anywhere I normally go; and when I need to go further, Hybrid mode will step in to handle the job.

#59 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationCupertino, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Purchased Prius in October 2000.  Believe in protecting environment and leaving small footprint.  Scrapped lawn for no-water native plants.  That kind of guy.  With kids grown and getting too old to do major house and garden projects, no longer need lots of vehicle cargo space — therefore small-cargo C-MAX OK.  Gave Prius to son and sold Dodge Caravan.  C-MAX is now our only car.

#60 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

Awesome replies.  Thought I would bump and update in one swoop.  Imagine how many plug ins will be out there in 2, 5, 10 years.   Saw my first Subie hybrid at Mount Baldy this weekend.  When are they going to Plug In?

Loving our Energi after 17 K miles despite the power steering SNAFU. 

Getting 65 MPGE  lifetime and averaging over 80 MPGE over the last 6000 miles.

I can't shake a stick at that.  

Days like today when the heat is up to 90 the battery can take the car 30 miles  - driven conservatively.   If you want to be human with the AC on you can still get 25+ miles out of her in the 90+ heat.

I was going to change the oil, but then decided to push it to the 20k limit which will be met in a couple of months.   I have a dealership freebie for numero uno but number two will be DIY with a syn (which Wallyworld sells cheap in the 5 quart Mobil one bottles of our required weight). 

There are less than 4k miles on the ICE, ~ 10k EV, and ~3k Regen.  Go lithium!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·