Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

New Convenience Charge Cord (Recall 18S24)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JnTX

JnTX

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:34 PM

I didn't see this as an existing topic so hope I am not doing a repeat.  I just picked up my new charge cord and I'll say it looks like it cost three times as much as the original.  It is bigger than the original so I don't think it will fit the the floor storage compartment.  It does come in a nice black canvas zippered storage bag.  One of the obvious differences is that the new one is put together with screws instead of being sealed in plastic.  It also lacks the cord storage reel around the outside.  The car side plug is now all black without the Ford logo and the latch looks more rugged.  The voltage and current ratings are the same as the original. 

The thing does stink (smells bad) but I guess that will go away with time.

Since I am an electrical engineer and like to take things apart, I will be disassembling the thing to see if it can be converted to 240VAC operation.  I also like to be able to adjust the charging current so I have a choice of 6 or 12 amps.  Obviously it takes a long time to charge the battery at 6 amps but I can use almost any outlet or extension cord without danger of over heating something or tripping a circuit breaker.  That's a good thing if you are charging your battery from a motel room outlet.

I'll post again when I know more about the thing.

This turns out to be a Clipper Creek Amazing-E unit set up to run on 120V. 

Here is a description with pictures:  https://300mpg.org/2...ew-and-opening/

Actually the new unit seems to be identical to the Chevy Volt charge cord which has been found to be 240V compatible.

Info here:  https://imgur.com/a/vFkP5

I need to look at the surge suppressor devices to be sure they are rated high enough for 240VAC.  Often lower voltage suppressors are used on 120V units.  They may appear to be OK when initially connected to 240V but will fail after a short time.

Also the charge cord that Ford has been using for the last few years.  I had not seen what Ford is shipping with the newer cars.

Jay

Austin, TX

Edited by JnTX, 16 April 2019 - 04:37 PM.

• jdbob, Levi Smith and ShoulderThingThatGoesUP like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 359 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:52 AM

This turns out to be a Clipper Creek Amazing-E unit set up to run on 120V. 

Here is a description with pictures:  https://300mpg.org/2...ew-and-opening/

Actually the new unit seems to be identical to the Chevy Volt charge cord which has been found to be 240V compatible.

Info here:  https://imgur.com/a/vFkP5

Good on them for outsourcing something known to be reliable instead of opening themselves up to more trouble.

#3 OFFLINE   airace

airace

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationkalamazoo
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

Would like to be able to find out more about this recall, I had a 2013 C-max energi and got the recall and when the new cord came it was as you said larger. Now the confusion, at the time I was waiting for the new cord to arrive I lucked into a great deal on a 2017 C-max that was outfitted almost exactly like my old one (even the same color) with extremely low mileage so I couldn't pass it up! Car was out of state and I got it the next day-everything great but the charge cord was exactly like my old 2013 one! Asked the dealer about this and they did some checking and said the recall was only on the 2012 to 2016 C-max and the part number of my "new" cord was not on  the recall list, he did show me the list and the part numbers on the list were the same except the last letter was different and not on the list? My question {that he could not answer} was what was the purpose of the recall if the "identical" cord works on the 2017 but not on the previous years? Because the new cord is thicker I would assume it had something to do with current draw so what changed between the 2016 and 2017 system?

#4 OFFLINE   Arrival

Arrival

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi 303A w/pano

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:05 PM

bbuvid posted this:

I received my letter and brought in my EVSE, but it wasn't replaced.  The only thing Ford is doing is replacing EVSEs that match a certain part number regardless of if they are damaged or not.  The part number will look something like this (F58-10B706-AA).  The last two digits of the part number need to be AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, or AF in order for you to get a replacement.  Mine had an AJ part number.  That being said, I haven't had any issues with my EVSE.

#5 OFFLINE   bbuvid

bbuvid

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationManitowoc, WI
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Chevrolet Aveo

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

To expand upon my previous post, it seems that the EVSEs with a "-AA" through "-AF" part number did not have a thermistor built into the plug.  Versions after that time period did have a thermistor built in.  So while your 2017 version appears to be the same EVSE, model numbers "-AG" and later have a thermistor in the plug.  I'm guessing the new recall version uses a larger gauge cable to minimize voltage drop and heat.  

#6 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:25 AM

I just called my dealer, hoping to send them a picture of my serial number to avoid two trips, and they need to see the color of the plug at the car end as well as the serial number; there has to be a white ring around it (?).  My cord's at home, I have no idea if there is such a ring.  My serial number ends in AD, so I was hoping...

#7 OFFLINE   rhea

rhea

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 178 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOkeechobee, FL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for all the info here. I just called  (again after receiving second letter) and a visit is required. @stolenmoment, I know you're not clear on the info given you, but could white ring = white cover? I do seem to have the the correct part number for replacement: FM58-10B706AC.

If anyone has any further info to share about my cord not being eligible for replacement (why did they even send the letter if that's the case?), I'd appreciate knowing. I have an appt for 5/13 at the local Ford (think trucks, not electric/hybrids) to inspect and order replacement. Hopefully, it will save an hour trip to the dealership of purchase.

Thanks

Attached Files

#8 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, I just got the email confirmation!  The pics of the serial number and the car-end plug with its white head (just like yours), was enough that I don't have to go prove my cord needs replacing.

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

Stolenmoment, which dealer did you talk with to get the replacement ordered over the phone?

-=>Raja.

#10 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:35 AM

This was Drum Hill Ford.  I've been very happy with the service there.

#11 OFFLINE   rhea

rhea

• 178 posts
  • LocationOkeechobee, FL

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:12 AM

Yeah, I just got the email confirmation!  The pics of the serial number and the car-end plug with its white head (just like yours), was enough that I don't have to go prove my cord needs replacing.

Thanks. My dealership (Sunrise Ford in Ft. Pierce, FL) would absolutely NOT take the pics. I asked. I have been very satisfied with their service for most of the past 6 yrs--except for this, of course. They did say I could get a recall handled at my local dealer (even mentioned that I would stand around for the 45 mi wait to have charger inspected--it takes longer than that to drive to Sunrise Ford!) so I made the earliest appt which isn't until May 13. 

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:32 AM

Man, that place is 50 miles away from me.  I'll see if Framingham Ford will do it for me or not...

-=>Raja.

#13 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:27 AM

They just called and they have my new cord!  I'll go pick it up tomorrow.  I had no idea it would arrive so quickly, or I'd've put the cord in the car this morning.  It's strung over the rafters in the garage to get it to the right (er, left) side of the car; I'll have to untangle it tomorrow morning.

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

I called Framingham Ford today, the guy was nice and understanding he did accept my pictures and ordered my new cord :)

-=>Raja.

#15 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:48 AM

Cool!  I picked mine up this morning, they even took off the winder and gave that back to me.  The new cord doesn't fit in it, but it does have those little holes for hanging it up directly, so I expect it'll install in my garage without any trouble.

#16 OFFLINE   rhea

rhea

• 178 posts
  • LocationOkeechobee, FL

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

Just returned from the local Gilbert Ford dealer. The guy there (Roy, super nice and very helpful) mentioned that of the four dealerships in town, his was the least "hybrid." I assured him that wasn't an issue. They had to examine the car as well as the charger. I should have new one by end of week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·