Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Unintended acceleration as a result of 12V Failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Telemachus

Telemachus

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationRiverside, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:00 AM

I am currently working through a bad 12V battery on my newly acquired 2013 Energi. As it has 2 owner's previous to me, the most recent one being my brother-in-law, and no concerns... I'm hoping it's just an old bad 12V battery.

However, after restarting the car following a "sleep mode" incident on Friday I had no control over acceleration. Brakes worked, but not the gas. It would just go on it's own and accelerate until about 25MPH. Pushing on the gas had no effect.

I pulled over and turned it off. When I restarted, the problem was gone.

I have read at least one other similar incident online related to 12V battery being low.

Crazy weird. I'll bring it up to the dealership when I ask them to check it out under extended CA warranty.

Attached Files

Edited by Telemachus, 15 April 2019 - 01:01 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationFuquay Varina NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:55 AM

When a vehicle experiences a major problem, the system usually goes into 'limp home mode' just to get the car out of traffic and onto the side of the road or out of the garage etc.

maybe this is what is causing your limited speed?

#3 OFFLINE   Telemachus

Telemachus

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:11 AM

Perhaps... so that is a known thing?   Is it described in the manual?

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:00 AM

Crazy weird stuff happens when the battery is low.  Lights blink weird, they get stuck on, etc.  What you need to do is get a voltmeter and put it on the battery, jump start the car and after the car is on check the battery voltage.  It should not be low, if it is low then you have a problem with the dc to dc converter that is charging the battery.  That would be the root cause which causes the 12v battery to die.  If that is the case, as new battery is going to have the same issue.  Just check this to see what's happening first.

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationFuquay Varina NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:10 AM

Raja

you can not drag a low voltage high IF the battery has a shorted cell, no matter how much charging you throw at it.

imo, checking the battery for shorts first would be best way to isolate the problem.  If battery is defective, no sense stressing the cars charging systems  Try to charge it externally if no obvious battery problem is found and observe its ability to hold a charge.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:45 AM

Hey Tony,

That's also why I suggested for him to plug in another battery temporarily.  However, as for the dead short battery thing never seen that I'd say its quite rare.  Usually they have some voltage, voltage comes up when you charge but won't hold.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   Telemachus

Telemachus

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:55 PM

When the car was plugged into the wall I read 12.5V across the voltage terminals to the battery. Upon disconnecting 8.5V.

So at least while charging off the wall it was trying to charge a non-compliant battery.

Now that I have a new battery I'll monitor what the voltage does for a few days... and then probably forget about it until it's a problem again.

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

That's a good move to check it ^^^, also check it when the car is powered up vs not.  Leave the hood open and then you wait a while until all the lights are out and the car is in a steady state.  If you check it car off should be around 12.25v - 12.4v.  If the car is on should be around 14.xx volt after a while if the battery is charged it should be in the 13.5v range.  If you plug the car in it should also go up.  Check those 3 options:

Car off overnight, hood open:

1.  Check voltage at rest.

2.  Plug in car and check voltage while charging (you need to have your car not fully charged already).

3. Unplug charger, power up the car and check voltage again.

Here is a video I did a while back about charging, some guy here told me I was nuts that the EVSE charges the 12v battery, I did the video to prove it to him that it did:

You should see similar numbers like this.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·