Haha, it was a busy weekend for Max.
Oil change notification came on so that got done at 97K miles. Can't recall when the last time was. Didn't think it was that long ago, but hopefully it was around 80K miles(tried searching the forums, but couldn't figure out where I mentioned it at that time).
Put the bald summer wheels back on in prep for the Hankook Kinergy's to go on with an alignment Monday.
Then figured I'd take another whack at updating some of the modules that didn't succeed last time. Figured I'd switch things up this time and NOT have the EVSE plugged in(maybe the charging routines mess up the state that the modules want to be in?) and just have an external 12V charger connected instead(there are warnings about how you need to be in IG on mode and make sure you have sufficient 12V power available.) I hooked up my simple 12V/6A charger that will at least provide constant power.(my 100A charger is "smart" so it will shut off when it's done, pause for a bit here and there to check, etc... Not always the best option in this scenario.) The charger said the car was never drawing more than 4 amps.
And one of the kids wanted the wagon out of the garage, so I pulled Max out into the driveway to give room to get the charger out and get it closer to wifi access for the software update to download.
And of course it was a bit warm, so I put all the windows down.
So, I hooked up the laptop, it again said that it had an update for the Body Control Module, so sure let's update(the past time I tried it, it just said it didn't succeed).
Well, this time it just started and then said that communication failed.
And that was about it.
I was left with a dead C-Max in the middle of the driveway, just about blocking in the van, with all the windows down some hours before rain was forecast.
And I mean dead. I had a glowing "passenger airbag off" light, and some power at the 12V outlets. That's about it. Wanted to open the hatch to try to disconnect the battery for a bit. "beep, beep, beep." was all I got. Sync might have been working, not sure I didn't try it till later, but I do almost think it was able to power on itself. but nothing from the power button for the car at all.
So, I climbed through the back, got everything out of the way and disconnected the battery for 15 minutes just hoping something would reset.
Nope. I effed the car. Dead.
So for an hour or so I called my mechanic who had no experience at this level, contemplated my life choices, and maybe I should just head over to Mass to get that Prius Plug In I've been watching, or maybe just find a $1K Subaru in the neighborhood... Cause it was looking like I was going to have to have someone tow it to the dealer and go "duhh, huh?" like my past experiences...
I did a bit more research and found a Ford article about what to do for some Focus update if it failed, and just basically tell it that it had a new module installed...
So, I head to the laptop again... It starts telling me that it can't even see the adapter... But then I unplugged it from the car and it seemed fine...
So I switched to my bigger 12V charger which I set to 10 amps and it still said it was delivering just over 4 amps, and switched to the ODB port over the brake pedal instead of the one behind the plastic door...
Car seemed to at least be communicating to some degree with laptop again... Tried the "new module" idea that the Ford article talked about... Never done it before, but it didn't really seem to work at all...
For kicks, tried to do the reprogramming/update like I had previously. Interestingly enough it came up and said that it saw the old version and had the new version available. Would I like to update?
So... Taught my daughter how to cross her fingers(somehow she'd not yet heard that phrase in her 7 years) and we said a little prayer and let it rip.(which is difficult because part of the process the software instructs is to turn the ignition off and then on, etc. but my power button wasn't doing anything noticeable...
But sure enough, it did it's intended file copy and then bam the relays and lights in the car started firing off and my dash came back and the car is ALIVE! Woohoo!!!
MAJOR stress relief!
So, I did end up getting it down to the garage to have the new Hankook Kinergy tires put on and aligned. Sounded like my right front tire was out by 1/8".
The Hankook's seemed to have good MPG ratings from people I could find, and had about the same treadwear as the Michelin Energy Saver's and were $85 each instead of $200. They seem nice so far!