Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How long can you idle in EV mode with AC on?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jongordo8

jongordo8

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFlorida
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Acura MDX

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:54 AM

Good morning.  I am considering purchasing a used Cmax Energi.  I am a private investigator and put 40k miles on a vehicle a year (so replacing my SUV with a plug-in hybrid will literally save me 4k a year in energy/fuel costs).  I am also moving to Florida and being in the car for 8-12 hrs a day in Florida heat worries me a bit.  My question is 3 parts:

1.  Can you run the vehicle in EV mode on idle and run the AC without the gas engine kicking on?

2.  If I used EV later mode till I got on-site at my case, how long can I run the vehicle on idle in EV mode with the AC (estimate)?  I have been looking at the Cmax and fusion but the trunk in the fusion deters me and steers me towards the Cmax.

3. How quiet is the Cmax running in EV mode at idle?  If you walked by the car will you be able to tell it is running in EV mode?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:08 AM

#1 Yes, it can run on battery and use the AC until the HVB is used up.  If you find a place to plug the car in, it can run indefinitely on shore power and run the AC.  You'll have to plug the car in while its on and then you'll be charging while the AC is on.

#2 Depends on the outside air temperature, the charge level in the HVB, and the condition of the HVB (newer or degraded to some extent).  The AC draws about 600w once the car is cooled off but varies some with the outside temperature.  If the car is hot baking in the sun and you power up and run the AC, initially it can draw 3000w as its cooling the car down and slowly taper off down to 600w.  Hard to say how long you can run the AC on battery, but just a guess maybe an hour?

#3 In EV mode there is no engine noise, but if the AC is running you will hear the whirring electric compressor noise.  If AC if off then its silent even when on.

Hope this helps,

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   jongordo8

jongordo8

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 April 2019 - 11:54 AM

Well I would be running the A/C on battery, not shore power.  Really you think only about an hour on EV power only huh? I was hoping I could get 4 hrs or so and use it as a hybrid to drive and run EV to keep me comfortable while working.  Obviously I will have it tinted and have a sun shade on the windshield, but it will be outside in the sun in Florida.  Love hearing it is quiet besides the A/C noise when running on EV.  

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 06 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

The one hour was just a guess, I don't know for sure as it depends on several factors:

#1 outside temperature

#2 in the sun or in the shade

#3 recirculate or not

#4 condition of the battery

#5 charge level of the battery

#6 desired temperature set inside the car

#7 AC fan speed

You'll have to try it and see what you get.  If you're using the battery only for AC then when you drive you can try to recharge the HVB on the highway or whatnot by cycling the EV later button every time you tick up 1 or 2% of the charge level initially said to be saved by EV later.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 06 April 2019 - 02:32 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:22 AM

It will definitely depend on the load as far as just how hot it is outside and how hard the AC has to work. 

If you actually have a full 5ish KW battery and you've already had the AC to cool down the car while you drove to your destination, I would really think it would last more than an hour. 

I don't have a lot of experience with the AC in super hot temps, but in my uses, it doesn't seem like after it's been cooled down that the AC typically draws more than 1KW, so if that was the case, you should have almost 5 hours.

And, yes the ice may not be running, but if the ac compressor and/or fans are on high to do some serious cooling then that's definitely louder than the sound of the ICE running.  It's pretty quiet where I work, but when I come out of work if I have the AC on and it's still trying to bring the temp down from cooking all day, I can hear the compressor running from across the parking lot, like more than 100' away.  Way louder than the sound of just the ICE running which you wouldn't notice till you're within like 30' maybe.  Let alone that the ICE is a normal quiet engine sound.  The compressor has almost more of a higher pitched metallic whacking sound.  It's not a horrid sound, but it really stands out to me since generally nothing else sounds like that.

#6 OFFLINE   jongordo8

jongordo8

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like I need to rent an energi and try this out before investing in one.  Now finding a plug in hybrid Cmax or fusion energi at a rental car place could be a challenge, but I will look into it.  

#7 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like I need to rent an energi and try this out before investing in one.  Now finding a plug in hybrid Cmax or fusion energi at a rental car place could be a challenge, but I will look into it.

You don’t have to test it. I do it all the time in my hybrid with dog inside. Once the cabin is conditioned and car left “on”, ICE will come on about every 10 minutes or so for a few minutes or so and increase SOC of HVB around 11-12% or around 160 Wh. So, that represents a total average load of around 960 W. If the Energi has 5 kWh of usable energy, you should get around 5 hours of non - ICE “on-time”.

The compressor load will likely cycle around 300 average and remaining load around 600 W. This is based on my monitoring of data with ForScan with Phoenix temps around 100F, sunny, and low humidity. In FL with higher humidity, compressor load might be slightly higher due to heat of condensation.

You will barely hear the compressor at this load level even when next to car. I leave fan on auto. When ICE runs you have to be fairly near the car to hear it as there is usually considerable background din. I have max tint allowed on glass, try to find shade, and park away from other vehicles especially since dog is in car.

EDIT: Looked at actual recorded data and ICE comes on about every 10 minutes.  So, total load is around 1 kW.

Edited by plus 3 golfer, 11 April 2019 - 04:03 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,284 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:44 AM

Thread of the month!  :welcome:

You will barely hear the compressor at this load level even when next to car. I leave fan on auto. When ICE runs you have to be fairly near the car to hear it as there is usually considerable background din. I have max tint allowed on glass, try to find shade, and park away from other vehicles especially since dog is in car.

The condenser fans are much louder than the compressor.  

If the OP can wait, I might try to give this a test but it won't be till the weekend after next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·