Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Finally got my new charging cable

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   maryinredding

maryinredding

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedding
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

Hello everyone:

I finally received my new charging cord on Tuesday. It seems to be alot beefer than the original. It came with a really nice case for it but no instructions. There are two lights on it. When I plugged it in to test it and the power light is red (on the previous charger the power button was green). The other one did not light as the car was not fully charged when I tested it. If any of you have received your new cords is this your experience with it? I am thinking that the second button turns green when the car is fully charged. We don't usually use the portable charger except when we go rving because we have a nice 240 volt setup at home. 

Looking forward to your comments

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

Do you have pictures of the new charger?

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   maryinredding

maryinredding

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationRedding

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:24 PM

Yes I do. https://lh3.googleus...2w=w632-h842-no

#4 OFFLINE   maryinredding

maryinredding

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationRedding

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:42 PM

I'm not sure if you can see my image with the above link. I tried to add it to my gallery but it wouldn't go. 

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:25 PM

No Mary I can't see the image in the above link and only 2013 pictures when you got the car in your gallery here.  

-=>Raja.

#6 OFFLINE   maryinredding

maryinredding

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationRedding

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:49 PM

Try going to my blog. I just updated it with a picture of the charger.

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

Ok cool thank you sure looks different.  I'd like to get mine too but have not received a 2nd letter either as of yet.  Maybe I should just make a trip to the dealer and try to ask them for a replacement. 

-=>Raja.

#8 OFFLINE   maryinredding

maryinredding

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationRedding

Posted 06 April 2019 - 11:38 AM

I never received my second letter. I just kept calling my dealer. You do have to take the car and your old charger into them for an inspection. Not exactly sure what they inspect but mine was part of the recall so not a problem. I did keep my surround (wire winder) and my hubby modified it to accept the new charger. We rv so sometimes you have to hang the charger on the pedestal and having those holes on the winder are perfect for putting a bungee cord end on so it can hang. They make the plug in part so short so sometimes it has to go upside down. Hopefully you will be able to get yours soon. I read on the ford cmax energi facebook page that people are slowly getting the new ones. Don't get rid of yours even if it caught fire. Some are replacing theirs with ones from ebay and I'm not sure they will be able to get a new one if they don't have the one that actually came with the car. They require that you give them your old cord. It says so in the first letter. Some didn't read the letter correctly and threw theirs away so I'm not sure how Ford will handle that. 

#9 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:31 AM

I keep hoping that they'll let me keep my old cord.  My garage wiring is up to snuff, so the lack of a thermistor hasn't been a problem, and a spare would be handy.

#10 OFFLINE   maryinredding

maryinredding

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationRedding

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:15 PM

Unfortunately they do require you to surrender your old cord to get a new one. Remember, this caord has caused people's garages to burn down!! Mine did not give me any problems either. We used it only when rving and we always used a 30 amp adapter on it and plugged it into a 30 amp circuit. Never got hot but those are famous last words too.....I'm glad to have the new one with a thermistor in it so it will turn off if it does get too hot. Better safe than sorry....

Edited by maryinredding, 08 April 2019 - 10:16 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   scifi_geek

scifi_geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVirginia
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

Going in for my replacement tomorrow. I actually have scorch marks around plug, so kind of important. I never received my second letter either...

I am planning on a plug-in station upgrade to a 240volt plug. Any suggestions for OEM or after market cables to do this? And I’m assuming that Ford will only replace with a 110volt plug (slow charger), right?

Thanks!

#12 OFFLINE   scifi_geek

scifi_geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

And I’ve stopped using that plug btw... hybrid only for now.

#13 OFFLINE   maryinredding

maryinredding

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationRedding

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:45 PM

If you get a 240 volt setup it will come with a cord to plug into your car. I got one that you actually plug into a receptacle so it can be moved or taken with you if you wanted to, not hardwired. Just be sure you have a electrician do this for you unless you are comfortable dealing with electricity. We had ours done and are happy with the install. I would not be using my cord either if it showed signs of burning. You will be so happy with the 240 volt setup. I know I sure love it....
  • scifi_geek likes this

#14 OFFLINE   maryinredding

maryinredding

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationRedding

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

Yes Ford is only replacing the cord that came with your car.

#15 OFFLINE   komptonwhitey

komptonwhitey

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationSpokane, WA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

Going in for my replacement tomorrow. I actually have scorch marks around plug, so kind of important. I never received my second letter either...

I am planning on a plug-in station upgrade to a 240volt plug. Any suggestions for OEM or after market cables to do this? And I’m assuming that Ford will only replace with a 110volt plug (slow charger), right?

Thanks

Off Amazon I bought a Dousida 16 amp 240/120 charger for $180.  It has worked great and it's the perfect size for our vehicles; they can only handle 16A.  It's also convenient as it can be bought for multiple plug configurations (dryer, 6-20p/r etc).  Mine came with an adapter which will allow it to use a standard 120v outlet.  It's portable, just the right oomph and is not expensive.  I've had it about 8 months now with no problems.

• Levi Smith and scifi_geek like this

#16 OFFLINE   Mike G

Mike G

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationFort Wayne, Indiana
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:15 AM

Got my second recall letter yesterday saying the parts are now available.

Went in last week and got my replacements. Didn't need to wait for the letter.

#17 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:16 AM

I see I am getting a letter from Ford today on a Safety Recall (I use the USPS Informed Delivery email service), so hopefully a new cord is in my near future.

#18 OFFLINE   scifi_geek

scifi_geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:31 AM

Off Amazon I bought a Dousida 16 amp 240/120 charger for $180.  It has worked great and it's the perfect size for our vehicles; they can only handle 16A.  It's also convenient as it can be bought for multiple plug configurations (dryer, 6-20p/r etc).  Mine came with an adapter which will allow it to use a standard 120v outlet.  It's portable, just the right oomph and is not expensive.  I've had it about 8 months now with no problems.

Thanks! I see that Duosida item on Amazon for $178.

Do you know if there is any reason to get a charger that is rated for higher amps? Some chargers are rated to 32amps (or higher).  The C-Max can only take advantage of 16A, correct? And no benefit from a higher amp charger?

So while I might upgrade my home outlet charging port to support higher amp capacity (32 or above, to be "future-proof" for other vehicles), I should only purchase a 16A cable/charger (with 240 or 110 volt plug adapters) for the C-Max, correct?

Thanks for helping out someone not electrically inclined...

#19 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 259 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:36 AM

Basically the reason for buying something with higher capacity is if you ever plan on getting another vehicle with higher charging capacity. It's fine to use a 32A charger on the C-Max which will only take 16. Won't harm it and only 16A will be fed. But if you decide to upgrade down the road that extra charging capacity can potentially come in handy without having to buy a new charger.

#20 OFFLINE   komptonwhitey

komptonwhitey

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

Depending on where you charge it and your electrical situation, a single 20amp/120V outlet can easily be adapted to 240V. This is not always available but would significantly reduce wiring costs.

While a larger, wall mounted charger would be more useful if you got a larger battery-capacity car in the future, it’s overkill for the c-max. It certainly won’t hurt anything (car limits the charging current) but...

1. it will be significantly more expensive
2. You will almost certainly have to run a larger, more expensive circuit.
3. You can not take it with you when you travel
4. You can only charge on 240v

I believe the pros of an inline plug-in charger for the max far outweigh the cons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·