Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Is my transmission going?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

Every time I almost start to like this  car...

So hopefully I'm just jumping to conclusions, but can anyone who is familiar with the transmission problems give me some more info?

Here's what happened: Finished up the battery today as usual, then when the ice kicked in I got some new noise, kinda like extra knobby tire noise, wife said she felt some vibration. It tracked with the ice speed, not wheel speed. mostly seemed to be in the 2500-3000 rpm range. Kinda seemed to go away a little bit at times, but was still there at the end of the trip.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:16 AM

How many miles?

Paul

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

I would have it checked out soon and find out if your warranty covers trans at over 99,999 miles.

Paul

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

I've driven 3 times since and I haven't heard anything.

But yeah that's kinda my thoughts if/when it shows up again:
-take to mechanic to give more idea if that does seem likely the problem.
-If so then see if the bigger City dealership has any familiarity with the issue.
-then see what the chances are that it would be covered under the hybrid/emissions warranty and verify if that's 150k miles in NY...

And probably look for alternate transportation for a good length of time while the car is at the dealership.

Or possibly just try to trade the thing in for a Prius

#6 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:44 AM

Do you feel the steering wheel vibrate? Mine does that.

#7 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:03 AM

Not sure, it only did it the one trip so far, and I've had a rash of things acting "Ford-ish" in the past week.  i.e they haven't fully "broken", but have become "impaired".

-Hard drive isn't dead, but full of bad sectors to the point of taking weeks to do a full format.

-Phone battery died, but still functions with external moto mod battery pack on

-Laptop keyboard died but touchscreen keyboard works.

-The one snow tire on max that didn't have a slow leak somehow developed a full on hole(looked more like a rip), at which time I realized that the previous owner had used up the tire sealant.  Thankfully the tire seems to be holding air after a plug.

-We've spent the past month trying to get one of the daughter's teeth fixed up, which is sucking out major hours and $$ every week as it's almost a 3 hour round trip of driving.

We were taking the Sienna up to these appointments at first as it's the preferred family vehicle due to interior space, but I mentioned that we should be able to save like $8-10 a trip taking Max since it should get about 50-100% more mpg as I was seeing only 20mpg in the Sienna in the snow..

So we took Max once and I was utterly amazed to actually see 40mpg average round trip. That did require the full selective use of my now closer to 4.6kwh battery but at "normal" like 69mph speed for the majority of the miles.  I generally never see anything above 35mpg without resorting to extreme slowness.

But then after the tire and noise this past weekend, we took the Sienna again Monday at which point it got a better 24ish mpg, but then on the way home the back half of the exhaust disconnected/dragged.  Nicely enough it disconnected at the muffler so it's not loud, and I was able to yank it off the hanger so it didn't drag the rest of the trip home.

AAAANNNYhoo...  it's been a long period of "issues" at this point, so hopefully I'm just jumping to possible conclusions and the noise was something else and isn't going to be an issue....  HA!  (:

#8 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:33 AM

Trans noise doesn't go away, it's quiet in neutral, Noisiest with ICE on and it steadily gets noisier.  Doesn't sound like your problem is the Trans. BTW you could drive the car with trans noise for thousands of miles, I think I had 1,500 miles on mine and I haven't heard of a trans breaking down. :smile2:

Paul

#9 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:37 AM

So you hear it even in EV mode?

#10 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:11 AM

IIRC it wasn't as noisy, started like a high pitched whine and turned into catering gears in ICE mode. Once it started, it didn't go away. :( FORD gave me a Explorer for two weeks at no cost.

Paul

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:56 AM

Man Levi, you got alot of problems hopefully you will get them sorted out one by one.

On the hard drive, don't bother formatting over, buy a solid state drive and move your data to that if you can, its much faster.

Replace the battery on the cell phone, you can do it yourself there are youtube videos how to do it.  I did on my iphone 5 myself twice.

I've replaced laptop keyboards in the past on a Dell laptop, I was cleaning the house for renovations and found the old keyboard in the closet just threw it away last week.  I guess you're OK with the touch screen for now.

Sienna muffler fell off?  Well can by typical of ICE cars.  One time my Mercedes 190E header broke and the whole muffler was dragging on the road and I was in Delaware on a Sunday night trying to get home.  I used the strap from my duffle bag to pull the muffler pipe off the ground put the strap inside the car pulled it tight and shut the passenger door on it.  Good to go no more dragging but crazy LOUD driving home 300 miles with no muffler just open exhaust.  I had to stuff kleenex in my ears and soon there was a large separation of cars away from me on the New Jersey turnpike.  Noone wanted to drive close to me, I kept it at 70 and went into N when I saw any police details anywhere and just coasted as far away as possible down to 45mph before putting the power back in as I didn't want to get pulled over for noise pollution needed to get home.  Last 1/2 mile from my house around midnight I turned the engine completely off and dead sticked it all the way to my driveway as to not wake the neighbors.  Next day I removed the muffler header and the pipe that goes to the cat that was broken and took it to Midas.  $45 they welded it back together and I put it back on good to go.  Sometimes you gotta MacGyver it  :wink:

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 28 March 2019 - 06:58 AM.

• ptjones likes this

#12 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:12 AM

Yeah, I don't know what's going on lately, but it seems to be following me around.  We finally got through hopefully the last traumatic experience for a while and got the daughter's dental stuff done and Max didn't act up on the trip(other than some semi-minor vibrations with the tire gunk/plug from last weekend at high speeds)  and it still got 40mpg!  Woot!

But then we got home and had some sort of ant migration happen while we were gone as we killed like well over a hundred of them on the kitchen counter and the neighboring area.  Never had anything like that before.

Anyway, yeah, otherwise I'm just trying to work out the issues.

Sure, if I had the $$, I'd love to change everything to solid state.  But that's a LOT more $ to get a 4tb SSD compared to a spinner.  I'm not really planning on relying on it, but thought I'd try a full format to see if it managed to move over the (current) lot of bad sectors.  But if it's taking like 2 weeks for it to try to get it done, I kinda think its pretty toasted.

The laptop just seemed odd that the keyboard died like that, but hopefully that's all it is.  I found a replacement cover with the keyboard/touchpad for cheap on ebay should be here today.

The phone is one of the more complicated issues.  It's a Moto Z that I use on Republic.  And I like the Moto Mods, and that it's Daydream compatible.  However, Moto just released Oreo for it recently and said that's the last update it's getting, and I'd prefer something a bit smaller and more water resistant.

I'd be more than happy to "just change the battery".  It looks like a much more manageable job on an iphone 5.  For my Z, the job is listed at the difficult end of the spectrum and glancing at the video of the process looks pretty sketchy at best to someone who hasn't done it before.  Looks like a close to 20 minute job for someone who knew what they were doing while you heat the adhesive, try to carefully get it pried apart all around, not hit any cables, and then a bunch of zif sockets and components that need to come out before you even get to the battery.  And then I question how good a quality these $30 batteries are on ebay...

But it looks like I can get a used replacement Z for maybe $120, so I might try that and then think about attempting the battery replacement after having a backup in place...

Otherwise I'd consider a Pixel 2 or 3, but then I lose the microsd slot and they're still 2-3X as expensive...

S8 looks like probably the best possible replacement option, but again looks like I'd have to spend at least $250 to get something that doesn't come with serious defects.  And I'll probably just have to write off my battery, speaker and projector moto mods as lost causes.

As for the exhaust on the Sienna, yeah it's getting to be about a decade old now, so it's no real surprise the pounds of salt we drive through every winter are eating everything up.  We've already dealt with a shield that fell off last year.  At least this was nice enough to break off at the back of the muffler so it's not very loud, and it only had one hanger so I was able to just give it a good yank and throw it in the back of the van for the rest of the trip home.  Probably have to stop down to the mechanic Monday and see if he can figure out a way to band-aid the thing together again for a while more.

At least Max has been good for a couple days now.  heck, I even made it the return trip home in EV mode for the first time ever!  Didn't really think it was possible, especially with my battery down to around 4.6KWH now.  But sure enough, I managed to get a time where I didn't have much of anyone behind me, took the short(but hilly) route just over 12 miles with the cruise set at 25mph, and it got down to 0%, but never quite hit hybrid mode!

Next big Max expense is going to be tires.  Summer ones are getting to the point where it's hard to see any tread.  Wondering if 205's would be fine on the stock wheels and perhaps help the mileage a bit.  I actually rather like the handling with the 205/60-16 winter tires a bit more than the 225/50-17's.  Not saying they would take a turn at as high a max possible speed, but I don't normally need that and the 205's don't seem to yank the wheel around the road as much over all the bumps, etc.

Has anyone found any recent info on LRR tires?  Everything seems to be outdated at this point.  If I stick to the stock size, I'm looking at the Continental TrueContact's.  They seem to have some sort of LRR and have the best $ to tire life ratio.

#13 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:44 AM

For me the Michelin's are the best for the money deal when I have 95k miles on my fronts going for 100k mi. and with the better gas mileage. I do use 50 psi which keeps the edges of the tires from wearing out faster than the center.  I had a sidewall puncher at 78k miles on the front and I only probably had 5k mi. left on them, they were wearing more on the inside so I replaced both and put the new tires on the back. FYI  I saw a video IIRC form TireRack that showed you should have your best tires on the back in the rain. Michelin's cost more, but you make it up with MPG's and longevity.  :smile2:  I use my Michelin's all year around.

Paul

#14 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:00 AM

I feel like I must be missing something...  Are we talking about the "energy savers" which are over $200 each and have like a 50K mile treadwear?

I mean, #1, YOWCH they are expensive(I think that may be what are on my car, and I can't say I've been super impressed with them).

Hard to believe you could get that much mileage out of that treadwear rating....

I'm still leaning towards the Continentals which are 800 compared to 500 for treadwear and $140 compared to $200.  I'd like better mileage, but that's about a hundred gallons of gas I'd have to get more out of them...(not counting which ones actually last longer...)

For me the Michelin's are the best for the money deal when I have 95k miles on my fronts going for 100k mi. and with the better gas mileage. I do use 50 psi which keeps the edges of the tires from wearing out faster than the center.  I had a sidewall puncher at 78k miles on the front and I only probably had 5k mi. left on them, they were wearing more on the inside so I replaced both and put the new tires on the back. FYI  I saw a video IIRC form TireRack that showed you should have your best tires on the back in the rain. Michelin's cost more, but you make it up with MPG's and longevity.  :smile2:  I use my Michelin's all year around.

Paul

#15 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

Yes Energy Savers, they are warrantied for 65k miles and my guess is you don't use 50 psi. in the tires. It is important that you check the alignment and cross rotate the tires. Tires don't last as long for City driving as they do HWY and at 80% HWY my longevity may be better than members with more City.  Let's say you could get 90k miles with treating the tires right and a 2 mpg better gas mileage(40 vs 42 mpg) with Michelin's you would save 107.1 gal. x $2.60/gal =$278 which means you would save $38 by going with the Energy Savers over the Continental's :smile2:

Paul

#16 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:04 AM

You're right, I use 51psi.  (:

My guess is you don't use 50 psi. in the tires.

Paul

#17 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

You're right, I use 51psi.  (:

How many mile are you getting out of your tires? Have you checked the tread depth?

Paul

#18 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:56 AM

I had to go look.  My old tires are Michelin Primacy MXM4's that came with the car when I got it January of 2016.  They were wild guess somewhere around 40-70% worn at that point.

I've put 30K miles on during that time, but only during the roughly Easter to Thanksgiving portions of the year as I have to use snow tires during winter if I want any chance of making it home. (:

And I just went out and looked at them again as it's about time to put them on.  They've got like around 1mm of tread on them give or take depending on where exactly you look.  I could/would use them(I've typically used my tires till they have a significant failure) but they'd be quite slippery in wet and/or dirt roads, and forget about it if I head to somewhere that I'd need to park on grass, or even a downhill portion of my gravel driveway.  And with kids and hiking/trail races, I've reached the point where I need to keep something with some tread on the car.  (:

#19 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:48 AM

I don't know how Primacy MXM4's compare to Energy Savers performance wise, I'm sure ES get at least a couple mpg more MXM4's. The Tests I've seen all show ES get better mpg's than anything else.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·