Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Got a 2018 Honda Clarity!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,284 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

OK, first things first:  Maxine isn't going anywhere anytime soon and is staying in the fotomoto household.  :puppy_kiss:

Couldn't resist the range and power of this seductress but getting $10k back in fed/state EV incentives along with both Honda and dealer incentives made it too good of a deal to pass up.  The upper Touring model adds powered leather seats and Nav but the infotainment supports Apple Carplay and Android Auto so there's no need for built-in nav.  So $3k for powered seats (no memory)?  No thanks!  I got the base with pleather/cloth seats which look great and the interior materials are very nice and stylish.  The ride is outstanding, very comfy and very quiet.  Sport mode answers my longings for my old 2012 Volt that I traded in for the Energi.  

Just one day after purchase, we took it on a 4 day 1,000 mile road trip to see family and friends during our spring break.  Got low 40's mpg @ 75mph interstate droning and upper 40's when I could keep it below 70mph on other roads.  The drivers aids (ACC and lane keep assist) truly did reduce driver fatigue especially on the long nearly 8 hour drive home the final day.  I haven't done too much pure EV driving yet but today we (4 people) did a short road trip at hwy speeds of 55-70mph netted 42 miles EV on the first leg and nearly 50 on the return (tailwind)!    EPA is 47.

[Attached File  IMG_5190.JPG   67.28KB   0 downloads

I haven't done a lot of deep diving into the menus and settings yet but it doesn't look like it has near the level of "nerd" info or driver feedback/coaching like the Energi has.  Other C-Max pluses include a non-locking charge door, hatch (duh), slightly higher drivers position, power seat, rain sensing wipers, longer HV range, and L gear.  

Getting a free charge for the return leg today.  The 40amp ClipperCreek charger replenished the empty pack in about 2hrs 15mins partially due to the much higher charge speed of the Clarity (7.7kWhr IIRC).  My 16amp home CC unit takes about 4.  

Attached File  IMG_8583.JPG   194.36KB   0 downloads

Edited by fotomoto, 15 March 2019 - 03:55 PM.

• Levi Smith and ShoulderThingThatGoesUP like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 359 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:11 AM

Thanks!  Keep up posted on how it goes!

#3 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,284 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

So I spent some time today focusing more on efficient urban driving since the first few days were on a highway trip. 

The Clarity comes with a neat feature called Brake Hold that once activated allows you to remove your foot from the brake pedal after coming to a complete stop; great for stop lights and steep grades.  Speaking of brakes, Honda nailed the electric to hydraulic transition as it's seamless even when cold.  The regen paddle has four levels but even max seems to be about 1/2 of what L gear does so the brake pedal is needed except for those situations like no traffic and you're not in a rush.  

I'm beginning to think Honda decided to design for the first time plug-in owner.  The displays and information feedback is quite limited but there are some bright spots like the EV meter will display down to tenths of a mile which is great when you're trying to determine if you can reach your destination (home) in pure EV.  So far, seems pretty accurate too and not subject to radical and quick swings in estimations.  Like the Energi, in auto mode it will default to EV only first unless you floor or nearly floor the pedal.  The pedal travel has a detent (bump) to let you know when you're about to activate the ICE (nice touch) so it's easier to avoid accidental starts than the Energi.  Sport mode is very lively and will satisfy many driver's "I feel the need. The need for speed!" requirements and remembers the decell paddle settings (regular modes don't = arghh!).  Like my former Prius, sport mode isn't remembered upon next start up but ECON mode is thus reflecting their true missions.  There is a third driving mode: HV+charge.  This runs the car in hybrid mode but runs the ICE more and at higher speeds to also recharge the battery adding more EV miles into the battery.  For efficiency, it should only be used on the hwy and preferably on level ground/light loads.  I haven't gotten any mpg readings on this yet but I've heard it drops them into the upper 30's.

On another note, the previous road trip was spent with a lot of time driving in the rain.  Being a sedan, there's no rear window wiper which sucked when I first got in to drive and wanted to wipe it clean but the aero's at higher speeds quickly wiped it away and later during a fairly heavy rain on the highway (front wipers on full speed) no drops reached the glass.  Crazy.  No rain sensing wipers sucks also after using those on the Energi but the speed sensing tech Honda applies to the intermittent function is OK.

So after a day of local driving and recharging it back to full, this is what the car is now calculating for EV range:

Attached File  IMG_4330.PNG   397.41KB   0 downloads

Some owners have reported up to 60 miles EV estimation so I'm hoping to match or beat that before the summer heat comes back.

Edited by fotomoto, 15 March 2019 - 05:32 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:09 AM

Was the tank full you took the pic? IIRC there was a problem with small gas tank making for short range which I didn't like.  With the Hybrid I typically get 600 to 750 miles on a tank. :smile2: 

Paul  

#5 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,284 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

Was the tank full you took the pic? IIRC there was a problem with small gas tank making for short range which I didn't like.  With the Hybrid I typically get 600 to 750 miles on a tank. :smile2:

Paul  

Yes full but the computer estimator is a bit of a guessometer (GOM).  I had an unintentional ICE startup in a parking lot and it was so quite that I didn't notice it for a bit.  So, the GOM thinks I'm getting really crappy fuel economy right now!   LOL   Like my former volt, it has a small 7 gallon tank which is good for about 300 highway miles.  On my road trip, this worked out to about 4.5 hours of interstate travel with two previous stops for food and restrooms required before needing petrol.   A side benefit to the tank size is fill ups are incredibly fast and cheap! (TIC)   :headspin:

#6 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:53 AM

Yes full but the computer estimator is a bit of a guessometer (GOM).  I had an unintentional ICE startup in a parking lot and it was so quite that I didn't notice it for a bit.  So, the GOM thinks I'm getting really crappy fuel economy right now!   LOL   Like my former volt, it has a small 7 gallon tank which is good for about 300 highway miles.  On my road trip, this worked out to about 4.5 hours of interstate travel with two previous stops for food and restrooms required before needing petrol.   A side benefit to the tank size is fill ups are incredibly fast and cheap! (TIC)   :headspin:

That's funny. :lol:  I guess when I'm use to not worrying about getting gas to thinking about getting gas when just filled up would be annoying for me. I do a lot of long distance driving like tomorrow I will be driving down to Deltona,FL 920 miles round trip by FWY.  I will fill up today at Sam's Club for $2.64 Premium and tomorrow Sam's in Valdosta, GA for $2.66. I will be able to drive to Deltona and back home without stopping for gas. Gas in Deltona is $3.20 for Premium. :(  As you can see having great range gives you options where to get gas and not pay high prices in expensive States. :smile2:

Paul

• rbort likes this

#7 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,284 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

You're a statistical outlier as most folks don't drive that way.

A plug-in isn't the best tool for constant long distance travel as most designs trade tank volume for battery volume.  The Energi, based on a gas car, kept the tank but removed hatch space; a tradeoff most buyers didn't like.  The Clarity gets a normal size trunk.  I'd rather have the space and just get gas when I stop for a bio or food break.  Having a plug typically means stopping for gas a whole lot less for the average owner.  When I traded in my volt at 10k miles, it only had 1,000 gas miles.  Divide that by its 300 mile gas tank and, yup, I filled it about 3 times during my ownership.  

#8 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationdenver
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

I think the Clarity tank is small due to some government rule or requirement.  It could also be due to the fact that it is a 3 power option body and only so much space too.  I wonder how large the Hydrogen tank is?

#9 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 CMAX Energi Titainum

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:45 AM

I will fill up today at Sam's Club for $2.64 Premium and tomorrow Sam's in Valdosta, GA for $2.66. I will be able to drive to Deltona and back home without stopping for gas. Gas in Deltona is $3.20 for Premium.

Paul

Why do you put premium in your CMax?  I have been putting low test in and it seems to run fine. Does premium give you more miles per $$ spent?

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:55 AM

Why do you put premium in your CMax?  I have been putting low test in and it seems to run fine. Does premium give you more miles per $$ spent?

We discussed this before and I gave him details with numbers to show it wasn't worth it, but it gets him a little bit more miles per tank, not more miles per $$s spent.  He likes to do it because it brings up his MPG numbers on fuelly or where he logs it, but not because its more efficient costwise.

-=>Raja.

#11 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

It probably adds 25 miles to my range which can nice and even FORD says it improves performance.  :smile2: I believe Prius has  around 9.5 gallon tank. 

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 20 March 2019 - 11:55 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 561 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:06 AM

fotomoto, check the coolant level for the HV battery.  For some reason I needed to add to ours.  (I also found excess oil, after a burning smell one day, but seems like you've driven enough to catch that one).

• fotomoto likes this

#13 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:38 AM

Got Premium gas last night at Sam's for $2.67 and Reg. was $2.41 so I'm close to break even point now. :happy feet:

Paul

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:45 AM

Paul:

For you to break even or do better premium gas needs to be no more than 10 cents more per gallon.  :wink:

-=>Raja.

#15 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

Paul:

For you to break even or do better premium gas needs to be no more than 10 cents more per gallon.  :wink:

-=>Raja.

Right, but it was 40-45 cents per gallon so in this case it is down 26 cent a gallon, close enough for me.  :smile2:

Paul

#16 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,284 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

Thanks!  Keep up posted on how it goes!

So with temperate, umm, temperatures  :smile2: this spring and getting to know the car a little more, it's no surprise that EV range estimates are on the rise.  Here's my personal best estimate so far:

Attached File  IMG_4391.JPG.jpeg   67.34KB   2 downloads

It's bizarre to drive the typical range of the Energi around town during the day and see you've still got 40 miles left.   :drop:

With more miles under my belt, the biggest thing that stands out is the ride quality.   The car is sooooo smooth and quiet; on very smooth roads it almost feels like it gliding just above the road surface.  The engineers definitely concentrated on NVH.  Check out the rear suspension design: 

Attached File  IMG_4368.JPG.jpeg   167.78KB   0 downloads

I really like the interior (I need to take some pics) and find it a very nice place to spend time.  More than once, I simply just got in and drove around on empty streets to just chill.  :whistling:   The infotainment setup is just an OK design but thankfully it also has CarPlay/Auto and the base (no optional upgrade) sound system is simply wonderful to my ears.  Even compressed SAT sounds so good that I'll probably subscribed again.   I even have a powered mini-sub woofer added to the optional SONY system in the Energi and it really lacks now after hearing the Clarity.  Progress marches on.....

I prefer hatches so I had some real reluctance to go with a sedan but with an OutBack, C-Max and a Prius in the family we've got hauling things covered.  Even though the trunk isn't compromised by the battery like many PHEV designs, I was still concerned with space and the lack of a spare tire on trips.  So just like with the Energi, I got a mini-spare for traveling and wanted to see just how much luggage I could pack with that 17 inch spare aboard.  This was the results.  I forgot about the covered lower well that houses the EVSE cable.  Removing the bagged cable and storing it in a cranny between suitcases would have easily swallowed two more of those small black bags in the foreground.

Attached File  IMG_4361.JPG.jpeg   133KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4365.JPG.jpeg   269.09KB   0 downloads

More thoughts later.  I still haven't "tested" Sport mode yet.  :shift:

• kyledamron likes this

#17 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:30 AM

It looks like you are sacrificing some width with the hatch door. :(

Paul 

#18 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,284 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:54 AM

The biggest, most important item is the jack.  While I had the scissor jack from the Energi kit I could use, the Honda is a bigger, heavier vehicle.  So I decided to try an old, small hydraulic floor jack I've had for motorcycle projects.

First things first, it's heavy so it needs a good storage location on trips and the hidden trunk well that holds the EVSE and an emergency kit (also pictured) is perfect for it.

Attached File  IMG_5061.JPG   222.13KB   0 downloads

Next, I tried it out under realistic conditions. I let the air out of the front tire to see if it would A) fit the low clearance and B) lift the heavy end. 

Attached File  IMG_6299.JPG   174.65KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7437.JPG   183.48KB   0 downloads

No problems with either. Took about 20-25 pumps (about :30 secs) to get it to adequate height.

Attached File  IMG_9592.JPG   171.49KB   0 downloads

For long trips, I will take this instead of the scissor jack I already have for the C-Max kit I made. Now to clean it up after re-commissioning it from mothballs. :puppy_kiss: 

Edited by fotomoto, 31 March 2019 - 05:59 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:12 AM

Are you going to carry a spare tire?

Paul

#20 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,284 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:37 PM

Are you going to carry a spare tire?

Paul

Just like with the C-Max, only on long trips. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·