Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Field Service Action Number: 12M02

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Telemachus

Telemachus

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationRiverside, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:30 AM

I just bought a used C-Max a few days ago, and I registered it on the Ford website to check the FSA.

I noticed the following:

FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD MYLINCOLN TOUCH WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE APIM

Field Service Action Number: 12M02

Apparently there was an FSA where they will update the MyFord Touch software even after warranty is expired. How do I figure out what version mine is at, and which is the newest?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Telemachus

Telemachus

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:46 AM

According to Ford website my Sync2 MFT was last updated

Feb 7, 2013 Version: SYNC2 v3.5

And it claims it is up to date. Is the dealership the only way to update past that version?

#3 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 247 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

There are copies of the latest 3.8 and 3.10 versions online but they are a bit hit or miss from what I've read including my own experience. Some bits are missing or just the update doesn't work. The other option is having the dealer do it which I'd recommend.

#4 OFFLINE   Telemachus

Telemachus

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:41 AM

Looks like Ford extended warranty coverage on these for 5 years, but the car I just purchased is 6 years old so I am out of luck. $140 for one hour of labor to update the apim.

I think I'd rather put that money towards a new sync3 system

#5 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFuquay Varina NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:53 PM

I am in same boat, previous owner didnt bother with the warranty update, now I am stuck too.

IF I knew the update would truly buy me something I wouldnt mind the 140$ fee.     I have an intermittent camera that I keep thinking may be solved by the upgrade but no way to know till ya pay the $$s.       Education costs money :thumbsup:

#6 OFFLINE   Telemachus

Telemachus

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:47 PM

You can easily find non-nav sync 3 systems for $200 or less at pick a parts around the country. The $140 fee to upgrade the current crap convinced me I'm just going to upgrade to sync 3.

#7 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFuquay Varina NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:30 AM

i have nav, everything seems to work as intended.  I choose to use google maps and not worry about the built in nav.   My only problem is occasional BU cam cutting out which seems to be a possible Sync issue but no way to be sure, so I just dont bother.

Local Ford dealer said 'things' can snowball when new firmware is installed.  He said some things will be fixed, other new problems tend to occur which can not be predicted, then they have to work for hours trying to sort things out.  He said if some problem were to occur, they sometimes can not revert back to old firmware you drove in with.   No telling if he is FOS or not, I am not going to pay someone and  risk them taking a chance on my c max.

all my c max has to do is start and stop, keep me warm, cool, dry and kinda far away from the gas pump.

#8 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:23 AM

Eh, working in IT, I'd say that's pretty much how things go for updates no matter the platform.  It's the double edged sword...  You want to have the current update so that you've fixed old problems and more importantly these days are that they've patched more security holes that have been discovered.  But yes, that also means you've now got a potential new set of problems that can show up with new software...

For kicks, I decided to play around with my Max some more for an afternoon a couple weeks ago.  No sign of the 3.10 update for my car, but I hooked up the Ford IDS software and found a half dozen modules with updates.  The DC/DC converter successfully updated but of course everything else failed and it takes so dang long, I ran out of time to retry the others.  But thankfully I haven't noticed anything worse yet.  (:

Local Ford dealer said 'things' can snowball when new firmware is installed.  He said some things will be fixed, other new problems tend to occur which can not be predicted, then they have to work for hours trying to sort things out.  He said if some problem were to occur, they sometimes can not revert back to old firmware you drove in with.   No telling if he is FOS or not, I am not going to pay someone and  risk them taking a chance on my c max.

#9 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 247 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:51 AM

Eh, working in IT, I'd say that's pretty much how things go for updates no matter the platform.  It's the double edged sword...  You want to have the current update so that you've fixed old problems and more importantly these days are that they've patched more security holes that have been discovered.  But yes, that also means you've now got a potential new set of problems that can show up with new software...

This. And it is likely why they've pulled the 3.8/3.10 updates from Syncmyride is to make sure dealers are the ones to do the update and make sure they go in without issue. Given these two updates are the major 'make sure shit is actually working solidly before EOL'.

With Ford's IDS if memory serves they have the added options of flashing the APIM all the way down to the base bootloader and starting fresh, something us regular users don't have with the basic USB flash option. A good comparison is being able to wipe your hard drive completely and reinstall the OS from scratch vs only really being allowed to run the normal updates on top of the existing install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·