Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Stop Safely Now - Car Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dwdwone

dwdwone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

Over the past few months, my 2013 Cmax Energii would on occasion not start. A jump start worked and even made the MFT start working again.

Today my car refused to start. Called AAA. The car would not start though the electronics came on as long as he had it hooked up to his electric supply. However the car refused to start. When I tried putting it in gear I got the message Stop Safely Now which I've never gotten before.

I'm in a remote location with no code reader. The last time I had this issue I was able to jump the car and took it to Ford, who told me it was the HV battery. They replaced it and it ran fine for a year.

Any recommendations?

Attached Files

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:36 PM

I wonder if it is related to this

https://insideevs.co...ly-now-warning/

Says hold the start stop button and keep on trying  to get it going to take to dealership

#3 OFFLINE   dwdwone

dwdwone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

I tried that but the car won't even turn on. It was parked so I didn't stall out in traffic. But the AAA guy wasn't even able to boost it. He did get the electric on with his battery charger. That's when I tried to start it and got the warning light.As soon as he disconnected the car went dead again.

This is the first time I've gotten this message. However, I suspect it may involve the HVB. At least I hope that is all it is. 

#4 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 259 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:35 PM

Sounds like that is the case if it died after disconnecting the jump starter. The DC-DC converter didn't activate so something either related to it or upstream (which is basically HVB related) isn't behaving. Of course not having any codes leaves us guessing. With the high voltage system the codes read should be pretty detailed and accurate on what is going on and why it isn't running.

#5 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:54 AM

Does the HVB charge if you plug the car in?

#6 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFuquay Varina NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:07 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Have you checked the low voltage battery(12v)?   Perhaps it has shorted out internally and not allowing a charge.     The 12v battery runs the logic that operates the car.     

If possible, maybe checked the 12v battery with a meter.  Try charging it too. 

#7 OFFLINE   dwdwone

dwdwone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:24 AM

Does the HVB charge if you plug the car in?

Unfortunately I' away from home and didn't bring along my charger. However, when I did try to charge it with the plug in before I left, it didn't charge, which I though was unusual.

#8 OFFLINE   dwdwone

dwdwone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Have you checked the low voltage battery(12v)?   Perhaps it has shorted out internally and not allowing a charge.     The 12v battery runs the logic that operates the car.     

If possible, maybe checked the 12v battery with a meter.  Try charging it too. 

I don't have the tools to check it out. I did speak to the service department today and they want me to bring in the charger cable. He said that my be the problem since it was under recall. I was really surprised they didn't have one. Then again, it IS Ford.

#9 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:44 AM

That makes no sense, the charger cable is under recall for causing fires on the "house" side, not for interacting incorrectly with the car.

• Levi Smith and cr08 like this

#10 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:58 AM

Yep, sounds like my dealership experiences.  I.e. they don't know much, nor want to do it, so sure, might as well replace that EVSE that's under recall (if/when we ever get one in) and THEN we'll actually look at the CAR where the problem would be...(never mind that if they are EV certified they must have their own EVSE on site that could be used to troubleshoot...)

That makes no sense, the charger cable is under recall for causing fires on the "house" side, not for interacting incorrectly with the car.

#11 OFFLINE   komptonwhitey

komptonwhitey

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationSpokane, WA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:54 AM

I would look for draws on the 12v system. Are you sure it wasn’t the 12v battery that Ford replaced?

#12 OFFLINE   dwdwone

dwdwone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:29 AM

Ford replaced the 12V battery about 18 months ago. It worked well for a few months but then the available miles when fully charged keeps dropping. Also the MFT keeps going out in different functions, sometimes even completely.

Ford told me there were some bad wires. On the ticket it says "Charged service battery, Checked DTCS P0B37. Followed TSB, repaired harness. Cleaned DTCS. Test drove to verify."

I also noticed that when I'm in Engage mode, the EV side never goes above 1 KW, so I'm wondering if the two are related.

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

These two quotes:

Ford replaced the 12V battery about 18 months ago. It worked well for a few months but then the available miles when fully charged keeps dropping.

and

I also noticed that when I'm in Engage mode, the EV side never goes above 1 KW, so I'm wondering if the two are related.

Deserve the famous line..."Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?!!"

On #1, the 12v battery has nothing to do with available miles when fully charged.

On #2, Engage mode uses a different scale than Empower, its more compressed so lower showings mean higher values on the Empower scale.

-=>Raja.

#14 OFFLINE   dwdwone

dwdwone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Raja. I didn't know that a more compressed rating was better.

On #1, I know when they replaced it (it was regular Motorcraft BXT67R), my plug in charge increased from 12 miles to 20. It is now back to 12. So I thought there was an association.

Regards
Willis

#15 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:37 PM

OH, I understand now.  When you disconnect the 12v battery, the car "forgets" your driving performance, clears out all the coach bars, and defaults back to 20 miles estimated range.  After that point if you drive better it will go up over time, or if you drive worse it will go down over time, or if your battery is degraded then it will also go down over time.

Makes sense now.  

As for the compressed range, I prefer to look at Empower all the time instead of engage.  I only use engage when I first start the engine before it warms up and takes the load, to watch the dual power and try to limit battery power as much as possible as discharging the battery and then recharging it back up is not as efficient.  So I stay light on the gas, and once the engine is warm enough the battery draw goes away and you can speed up and use the engine normally.  The only exception to that is that I try to keep the engine running for 2 to 3 minutes if possible to aid in the warmup by keeping it under some load just above the shutoff threshold.

Hope this helps,

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·