Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

ICE warm up and wear?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

Or you can use Block/Oil pan heaters to preheat the ICE like I do in the morning before going to work and some times at work before going home. With 105k ICE miles my BlackStone Oil Analyses is better than when it was new, I'm going 13k ICE miles between oil changes. :smile2:  I really don't see this as a real problem using 0-20W synthetic oil anyways. :smile2:  The car is going to wear out before the ICE does.

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

I agree.  I mean, sure, if it's -5F outside, you're keeping it in EV mode without heat in the car, and then you hit the freeway ramp, kick it into EV Later and just hold it to the floor I would agree that's definitely less than preferable.

But if you can control your right foot a little bit and keep it somewhere in the middle and/or just fire up the ice for a minute before you get to the highway I really don't see a problem...

I really don't see this as a real problem using 0-20W synthetic oil anyways. :smile2:  The car is going to wear out before the ICE does.

Paul

• ptjones likes this

#23 OFFLINE   komptonwhitey

komptonwhitey

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationSpokane, WA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

^^^ Agreed, but the reason to stay slow or light on the gas until the ICE can take the load is to not discharge the HVB hybrid portion deeply and have to recharge it all the way back up.  That is less efficient than keeping it more charged.  Discharge/recharge is less efficient than keeping the ice running at highway speeds with the hybrid battery full.

-=>Raja.

The strategy I use typically is to set is to EV Later a little bit before the onramp and then switch to Auto once the engine is running.  It will mix the EV and ICE until the ICE is warmed up.  When the car switches off the ICE after warm up and tries to go back to EV, switch back to EV Later and the car won't try to recover the lost capacity from the warm-up period.  

I believe it gives you the best of both worlds; using the battery to allow for a gentle ICE warm-up but not having to burn excess gas for battery recovery as Raja is pointing out.

• ShoulderThingThatGoesUP likes this

#24 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 84 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2016

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

The strategy I use typically is to set is to EV Later a little bit before the onramp and then switch to Auto once the engine is running.  It will mix the EV and ICE until the ICE is warmed up.  When the car switches off the ICE after warm up and tries to go back to EV, switch back to EV Later and the car won't try to recover the lost capacity from the warm-up period.  

I believe it gives you the best of both worlds; using the battery to allow for a gentle ICE warm-up but not having to burn excess gas for battery recovery as Raja is pointing out.

This is exactly what I described in my post #15  :wink:

#25 OFFLINE   C-Maximus

C-Maximus

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 33 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationNorthEast
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:SAAB 9-5 SportCombiwagon Aero Turbo

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:40 AM

Don't fret about warming it up.  The CMAX is fuel injected and uses 0-W20 Synthetic.  There is no real reason to worry about "warming it up".  My guess is that the ICE would last for hundreds of thousands of miles or more.  In my opinion, the ICE is the last thing you will have problems with over the years.

More likely you will have problems with the CVT or some other computer controlled functions before you have problems with the ICE.

• ptjones likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·