Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

EV Now mode

ev now mode gas engine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wcshaff

wcshaff

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationBoulder
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:54 PM

It appears that when you start up the C-Max it defaults to EV Auto mode.  Is that correct?  If so, is there a way to make the default mode EV Now?  Most of my driving is around town and I want to control when the gas engine kicks in.  It somehow gets in EV Auto mode and the slightest acceleration will cause the engine to start.  

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:44 AM

It somehow gets in EV Auto mode and the slightest acceleration will cause the engine to start---Not true here.    Wondering if this is just a cold weather issue.    Our forum expert normally does not recommend using EV Now.

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 30 December 2018 - 05:47 AM

It appears that when you start up the C-Max it defaults to EV Auto mode.  Is that correct?  If so, is there a way to make the default mode EV Now?  Most of my driving is around town and I want to control when the gas engine kicks in.  It somehow gets in EV Auto mode and the slightest acceleration will cause the engine to start.  

If you put it in EV Now mode,I believe it should stay there until you run out of battery and get dropped into hybrid mode.  

That said, depending on conditions, the gas engine can still fire up while in EV mode.  And yes, in the winter it can be a lot more likely to fire up in Auto mode. 

The biggest factor is Defrost.  If you turn on the defrost in any way the car is VERY likely to fire up the gas engine.  

Next up is the heater in general and/or outside temp difference.  The larger the difference there, the more likely for the gas engine to fire up.

But no, to answer your actual question, there's no way to get Max to default to EV Now mode.

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,282 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:39 AM

"It somehow gets in EV Auto mode and the slightest acceleration will cause the engine to start."

That shouldn't be the case at all, you should have at least 3.25 bars when its bitter cold/battery cold, and closer to 4 bars of power all other times.  Your accelerations should be more than sufficient up to 2 bars, from 0 to 30mph, as you get faster to feel like you're accelerating you could possibly use more than 2 bars and that's probably why you are kicking in the engine but if you are driving the battery that hard I would not recommend it, not a good idea for its long life in general.  

This is all assuming you are not using electric heat, if you are that adds an extra bar of power on top of everything making it much harder on the battery and easier to reach its limit and start the engine.

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   nikorasu

nikorasu

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMadison WI
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

My car is always in EV Now mode, as I drive it as an EV. Now that's not to say that in the winter if you turn the defroster on anything higher than Low temp then the engine will spin up to provide heat for this. 

#6 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

If I've stopped in EV Later, it starts up in Auto.  It sticks in EV Now.

If you turn on the floor and then the defrost vents, the motor is less likely to start.

Also, if you're in Low gear with a full battery, the ICE will start the first time you slow down.  I have to drive a block or two before shifting into L.

• eppyphotog likes this

#7 OFFLINE   wcshaff

wcshaff

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationBoulder
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for all the insight.  I am not using the heat or defrost. Based on the responses, I am assuming that even if the Max is in EV Now, it still might kick in the ICE if you punch it.  I am pretty careful not to really punch it but that seems to be the only explanation.  

#8 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for all the insight.  I am not using the heat or defrost. Based on the responses, I am assuming that even if the Max is in EV Now, it still might kick in the ICE if you punch it.  I am pretty careful not to really punch it but that seems to be the only explanation.  

It shouldn't normally...  If you have it in EV Now and aren't using heat/defrost at all, then the only time I've had it kick on under those conditions is along the lines of drawing 3.5+ bars worth of power for at least a couple minutes(like climbing a good hill or some highway speeds...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·