Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Plug door malfunction

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Ford should release a TSB if enough NRGs have this issue?  One would hope.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   DonS

DonS

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationusa
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Ford's disinterest in these bugs is the largest contributor to my dissatisfaction. 

Oh, it just froze shut. No big deal.

The car just decides when it goes into oil maintenance mode and for how long. No fault light? Then it is okay no matter how often it is turning on and for how long ... sorry that you are unhappy.

Sure. It is a new car. There will be bugs to work out. I get that.It is the risk of buying a car in its first year, especially a new technology car. But there should be an interest in finding out what the bugs are and if not correcting them in the current vehicle then at least changing the design for future ones. What I hear is a nonchalance instead. A culture of constant quality improvement does not seem to be the Ford way; blowing off complaints OTOH they seem to have down. 

#23 OFFLINE   DFS

DFS

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationEdmonds, Washington
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi - tomorrow

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Below freezing weather here in the NW, and charger door wouldn't open this evening.  Managed to get a plastic spatula under the outside edge and lift slightly while rotating and it finally opened.  It has been hard to open, pretty much since new, requiring us to rotate it manually, and close the same way.  Simply pushing the dot would release the catch but there wasn't enough "spring" to allow it to rotate.  Same when closing.  Couldn't apply enough pressure to get it to close easily.

Has anyone come up with a solution, lubrication or otherwise?  I was going to run by the dealer tomorrow, but from what I'm seeing here, that option doesn't look too promising.

#24 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:49 AM

Bring it in. Maybe you get lucky. The thread stopped a whole year ago. Maybe a savvy dealer might have learned what to do.

I found that it gets stuck if any ice or snow gets in there, so I always clear it before moving the door. You can only do so much when the weather won't cooperate.

#25 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:16 AM

Below freezing weather here in the NW, and charger door wouldn't open this evening.  Managed to get a plastic spatula under the outside edge and lift slightly while rotating and it finally opened.  It has been hard to open, pretty much since new, requiring us to rotate it manually, and close the same way.  Simply pushing the dot would release the catch but there wasn't enough "spring" to allow it to rotate.  Same when closing.  Couldn't apply enough pressure to get it to close easily. ...

DFS,

I recommend having your dealer take a look. Once you have an appointment, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll take a look.

Ashley

#26 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Oh, it just froze shut. No big deal.

The car just decides when it goes into oil maintenance mode and for how long. No fault light? Then it is okay no matter how often it is turning on and for how long ... sorry that you are unhappy.

Door freezing shut is a big deal.  I don't think oil maintenance mode is necessarily a fault, any more than fuel freshness mode.  They should mention this in the dialog on the dashboard.

#27 OFFLINE   sstober

sstober

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationToronto
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2014

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

Next year I think I'll have a circular car magnet designed that covers the charging door. Maybe a design with a Yellow lightning bolt. Anyone try a magnetic cover?

#28 OFFLINE   GuyFromCanada

GuyFromCanada

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Canada Quebec
  • LocationQuebec
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi 2013

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

Door freezing shut is a big deal.  I don't think oil maintenance mode is necessarily a fault, any more than fuel freshness mode.  They should mention this in the dialog on the dashboard.

They kind of already do that with color code:

red = severe error ex: handbrake is engaged, car is still plugged in

yellow = warning ex: TPMS error (winter tires)

white = information ex: oil maintenance mode, EV mode

#29 OFFLINE   chryssa

chryssa

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationSE Wisconsin
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi, 2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

Next year I think I'll have a circular car magnet designed that covers the charging door. Maybe a design with a Yellow lightning bolt. Anyone try a magnetic cover?

Yep, sstober, I use a magnetic cover and LOVE it.  I also used silicone on the rubber flange.    :wink:

Slug with cover

• dr61 likes this

#30 OFFLINE   sstober

sstober

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationToronto
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2014

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

The magnetic cover looks like the same color as your car. Where and how did you make or get it made?

#31 OFFLINE   chryssa

chryssa

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi, 2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Sign-A-Rama in Crystal Lake, Illinois made a few for me.  The first couple weren't quite large enough and didn't hold at high speeds.  The port door is plastic, not magnetic, so the cover is only held by its perimeter. 

Edited by chryssa, 25 March 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   DFS

DFS

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationEdmonds, Washington
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi - tomorrow

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

Posted on 2-6 about the sticking charging door.  Took it in to the dealer who ordered a new "module" and "ring."  Had the repair done on 2-27, and by 3-7 the door was sticky again.  This time, only opening partially, but closing smoothly.  Looked at it closely today to see if I could see what was causing the problem.  Couldn't see anything that was sticking, but noticed that in the process of installing the new parts, the dealer evidently used a screwdriver to pry out the old lighted ring and chipped the paint in several places around the ring.  

REALLY FRUSTRATING !!!

Have another appointment on 3-18 to have them look at the door and paint issues.  Do I let them touch up the eight or nine chips around the ring, which will look like touched up chips, or ask that they paint the whole panel, risking a color mis-match?  Car is Ice Storm, probably one of the most difficult colors to match.

#33 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

I can't swear I've closed it every time I unplugged it, but I am convinced that a closed plug door mysteriously is occasionally found open after driving.  Anyone else thinks their door can open itself on driving vibration?  Or NRG Voodoo Phantom?!?! :worship:

#34 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationCupertino, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:44 AM

I, too, used to think the charger door was popping open.  Like you, dontfret, I was sure that I closed the charger door each time I unplugged.  I discovered, to my embarrassment after discussing the problem here, that I was simply forgetting to close the door.  I have never had any problem with my charger door — other than forgetting to close it.  I live in the SF Bay Area, where freezing weather isn't a problem, and so I have no problem, either, opening the charger door.  On the other hand, I have my car in the shop now because the fuel door won't latch shut.

#35 OFFLINE   fixitmic@gmail.com

fixitmic@gmail.com

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAkron
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

Anyone having issues with the port door getting stuck in the winter? I have the Ford Fusion Energi SE and has the same charge port as the C-Max. Happens everyday temp drops below 30.

#36 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

No, not on mine, both work OK 2013 and now 2017.

-=>Raja.

#37 OFFLINE   bobs

bobs

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:13 AM

Yup frozen shut this am.  I had unplugged being I knew there was freezing rain coming and did not want to be teathered to the house. I slowly worked it open and I can plug back in when the snow stops.

I knoew somewhere in this forum thst it was  suggedted to grease the seal with gasket safe grease.  I did and it seems to help.

Bob

#38 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:29 AM

Ah yeah could be a problem if you park outside, I don't.

-=>Raja.

#39 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

Ah yeah could be a problem if you park outside, I don't.

-=>Raja.

Two words from last weekend here in NE Ohio.  Ice Storm (no, not the color. LOL)

#40 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:19 AM

We got some ice here and it made it a little difficult, but since the freezing rain happened while it was plugged in it wasn't a problem for me.

I do think the mechanism could use some lubrication on mine, though. Anything wrong with spraying some silicone grease on the cylinder that holds the spring and figuring that'll help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·