Ford C-MAX Energi Owners Forum welcomes you.
You're at the largest Ford C-MAX Energi community on the web!

Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.

Guest Message by DevFuse

C-MAX Energi membership upgrade information can be found here.

C-MAX Energi Premium Memberships

Click here to learn about our upgraded memberships.

Ad

Ad

Photo
- - - - -

Plug door malfunction

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DonS

DonS

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Locationusa
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

My plug cover won't open. Actually had coincidentally brought it in to the dealer today arranged before I knew this, to have the car looked at for its annoying going into "Oil Maintenance Mode" every 200 miles or so for a whole day - during which time it does not use the electric motor even in hybrid mode (so gas mileage is like 15 to 20 mpg) -- which I was told (BS'ed) is normal in cold weather -- and when I picked it up was told it had been frozen and was now okay -- only to drive it home and be unable to open it again. Service department of course closed for the week end.

I'm beginning to think giving Ford a chance again was a major mistake.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Valkraider

Valkraider

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

I have never had an "oil maintenance" mode.

I don't see how that's normal behavior...

#3 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Color:Sterling Gray

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I haven't had an oil maintenance mode either in 2500 miles. But I run the engine about a hundred miles a week... And it's not really "cold" in San Diego.

#4 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi - 303A
  • Color:Oxford White

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Help!!!

DonS - I just had the same problem with the charging plug door. It was below 20 degrees this morning and I unplugged from the home charger and noticed the door was a little hard to close. Drove into town to a public charger and the charging plug door wouldn't open. I tried prying the front of the door, the rear of the door, pushing in quickly and letting go, prying while pushing in, but it wasn't popping out.

After 5 minutes of coaxing I was able to get it to pop out but I'm afraid to close it now for fear of not being able to get it open again.

I think some moisture got into the mechanism and froze, but I'm not sure how to clear this out. (I'm not moving to Portland Valkraider ;-)

Can anyone offer advice?

Rick

ps - this model is so new, I wouldn't expect the dealers to know anything about them yet. I rely on the ever-growing group of owners for advice and their experience. DonS, I live in western MA and it's cold and I've never had an oil maintenance mode. I've put 1,300 miles on the car so far.

#5 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi
  • Color:Ruby Red

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

It seems that only you guys, in below freezing temps, are experiencing the problem so I am assuming that frozen moisture is jamming the mechanism. You will need to contact Ford and get them to initiate a fix. Probably not the information you are hoping for but it sounds like a serious problem and it needs an engineered solution. If it were me I would, as a temporary measure, figure out a way to warm the area around the plug door (warm water or a low wattage heater that you can plug into your accessory outlet).

I also just thought about road salt. It may also be possible that road salt is getting into and crystalizing in the mechanism. Although I am not recommending this you may inquire if there is a hydrophobic coating that is appropriate for this issue (I am thinking spray in silicone lube)

Edited by Don, 02 February 2013 - 12:01 PM.

• Retired1 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

How does one go about getting Ford to initiate a fix? I'm all for that, just don't know how. I looked on my account on owner.ford.com and there's no place I can see to report stuff like this.

??

#7 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi
  • Color:Ruby Red

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Initially you may try to start with your dealer. Otherwise you can try calling Ford: https://owner.ford.c...e/ContactUsPage

You may get lucky and get cooperation right away or you may have to be persistent. Based on your description of the problem I am sure more and more people will encounter it and eventually Ford will issue a TSB (technical service bulletin) for a fix.

#8 OFFLINE   DozerBob

DozerBob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationLaguna Hills, CA
  • Current Vehicle:Sterling Grey Energi, Finally
  • Color:Decline

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Any way to get a womens hair blow dryer on an extension cord to warm it up, might have to go back in time to the 80's to find one though. At least you'll know if it was frozen water as the problem or not. I've never had any problem here in So Cal. Never gets below freezing.

Edited by DozerBob, 03 February 2013 - 11:53 AM.

• jjanner likes this

#9 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Bob, will call on Monday.

DozerBob - I have something similar I use to shrink the covering on airplane wings. I tried it this morning. Plugged it into the 110v outlet between the seats but it wouldn't turn on. It draws 1,000W so I think it may be more than the outlet can handle.

Now that I'm reading the manual, I see it's only rated for 150W:

p.170

"The power point temporarily turns off power if the 150 watt limit is exceeded."

It was a good idea though. I'll just have to find something that draws less power...

Rick

#10 OFFLINE   DonS

DonS

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

So maybe what I have to do is carry a blow drier in my car, unplug the 110 charger and plug in the blow drier, heat up the door, open it, then plug back in the charger and plug the car in, then store the blow drier in the car?

Not happy.

#11 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

DonS - my charge port door was a little easier to open this morning, I hope it doesn't get as bad as you describe. What state do you live in?

I also found that I was closing the charge port door incorrectly. I was rotating the door until it was in position, and then pressing the indentation to close the door. According to the manual, you press the indentation and the door will rotate. I tried that this morning and watched closely as the door closed, then I opened it again without it sticking. Hopefully it will continue to operate okay.

p. 205

3. Close the charge port door by pressing the indentation on the charge port door. Continue pressing the indentation while the door rotates counter clockwise and closes. 

#12 OFFLINE   DonS

DonS

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I'm in Illinois

#13 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

My plug door had been getting stickier over the last week, and it's way above freezing here.  It looked like it was misaligned slightly.  This morning I was moving it back and forth, looking at the latch and mechanism to see if I could figure out what was wrong.  I must have accidentally jiggled it back into place.  Now it works smoothly again and lines up straight.  Never saw what might have been wrong.

#14 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

The problem with mine is the operator... I forget to close it sometimes...

#15 OFFLINE   GUZZI

GUZZI

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNew Smyrna Beach, Floria
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Fusion Hybrid / 2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Ditto honemch! Have found myself doing this several times! Duh! LOL!

#16 OFFLINE   DonS

DonS

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Not so sure how forgetting to close it causes it to be unable to be opened.

These are basic things that should just work. I've never had a gas tank door that I could not open when I needed to put gas in the car, even when it was 20 below; there is NO reason that I should be unable to open the plug door when my car needs electricity when it is cold out.

I regret having given Ford a chance again. 

#17 OFFLINE   kdggdk

kdggdk

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:C-Maxx Energi

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Honeach - hate to admit it but I forget to close mine at times too.

Kim

#18 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Not so sure how forgetting to close it causes it to be unable to be opened.

These are basic things that should just work. I've never had a gas tank door that I could not open when I needed to put gas in the car, even when it was 20 below; there is NO reason that I should be unable to open the plug door when my car needs electricity when it is cold out.

I regret having given Ford a chance again. 

I don't think forgetting to close the door does effect being able to open it... just was stating the only problem I have had with the door is that I have left it open from time to time. Would be nice if their was an idiot light.

I am sorry you are regretting your purchase from Ford. I love my car, and haven't had any issues with it other than the weird two kicks needed to open the rear lift gate. I believe that is a software issue and am leaving it alone for now. As with any new car model / technology, their will always be bugs to be worked out. That is why they say never to buy the first model year of anything. I did though, and have been happy with that choice thus far. MFT sucks, but the mileage / battery performance of this car has been great and is the reason I bought the car.

I hope you can get things worked out with Ford regarding your car so you can enjoy your investment!

#19 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4
  • Color:Ingot Silver

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

The design of the plug door is interesting.  It is a nice idea that I first noticed on the Focus Electric; it seems like one purpose is to not cause excessive drag if the door is accidentally left open. Another may be that a conventional swing-open door might sometimes interfere with the charging cable, and could be damaged if someone tripped over the cable.  I like it better than the design on the Volt, which I also looked at. It is a new design, so there might be some teething problems.  Being an engineering type myself, I'm appreciative of the design.  If there is a sealing problem that causes sticking, I expect Ford will come up with a fix.

#20 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Update...

It's still cold here and I haven't had the charge plug door stick again yet. The first time it happened I was kinda worried, but since it hasn't happened in two days I'm a little bit more relaxed.

Oh, and I haven't tried calling Ford yet.

Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users