Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

some oil change related questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFuquay Varina NC
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:02 AM

In the past (before my c max)    I would change both cars oil and filter on same day.  This all depended on when one of the cars got to a certain mileage.  As long as I was getting dirty, I figured I would do both cars and be done.   This worked out well.

Now, I havent found a straight answer regarding changing oil on the c Max if the oil minder hasnt already lit.  Question is Even though the oil change reminder isnt lit at the moment, IF I change the oil, will I be able to reset the oil minder so it knows the oil has been changed right now at this moment?   I would hate to get out of sync with the oil minder not knowiing I just now changed the oil.

another question is  Can I  somehow view what the oil minder is currently thinking about the current oil?  You know, at what stage the current  oil life is in its opinion?

Last question about this (I hope)  After I have the oil filter and oil swapped out, I ALWAYS start the engine and look for oil filter leaks.   HOW do you, could you,  start the ICE  while its still up on ramps?  in other words, how could I force the ICE on immediately without running the battery down by running the ac or heat etc?

While I really like the idea of the cover on bottom of engine,  I also really dislike having to deal with the plastic fasteners that hold it up.  I have had a few cars like this and its a love / hate relationship.   You guys find it a hassle too?   Seems I will have to remove one of the fasteners and then buy a few just like it before I start the job in case I break or lose some of em.

Thanks for your input

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

It's been quite a while since I did it, but it looks like his is how you reset the oil life:

I *think* there is something in the computers that you can access via something like Torque on Adroid or other Ford software to get a look at the oil life figure.  I almost want to say that I recall it perhaps not being as straightforward as one might think in reading what the actual value meant, but I'm not sure...

Personally I believe I just turned on defrost to Max to start the engine and keep it running.  I think you might be able to push the accelerator pedal to the floor as well to start the engine, but I think it only stays running as long as you hold the pedal down.  Which is why I wouldn't do it that way.  I don't recall if there's some other sort of maintenance mode to get the engine to stay on.

I thought the covers were a bigger hassle until I've done Max and our Sienna  a couple times.  Sure, it's more of a pain than not having to remove anything, but really it doesn't seem all that bad now.

#3 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 246 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:14 AM

The oil life can be found via ForScan either via PC or Android/iOS app. It'll simply show in a 0-100% display. I don't think anyone has converted it for use in something like Torque yet. I haven't found anything on this front at least.

Even without the oil life notification active, it can still be reset. Follow the instructions in the video Levi posted above.

To force the engine to start, while in Park simply press down the accelerator about halfway or more and it will activate.

Edited by cr08, 13 December 2018 - 10:15 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:43 AM

I set up an xGauge for my ScanGauge II to monitor the IOLM. After monitoring it, I agree that it starts at 100% after being reset and drops to 0% after 20k miles. Change the oil as often as you want and reset the IOLM per the Owner Manual(OM) directions. Personally I have the oil changed at the 20k interval (Per the maintenance recommendations in the OM) at the Ford quicklane service. This way I don't concern myself with leaking or messing with the bottom cover. After 20k miles the oil looks translucent brown and is much cleaner looking than my Ranger after 3k miles. I am about 2k miles away from my forth oil change and the car oil level never drops between changes. 

Tom

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:46 AM

Personally I have the oil changed at the 20k interval (Per the maintenance recommendations in the OM) at the Ford quicklane service. This way I don't concern myself with leaking or messing with the bottom cover. After 20k miles the oil looks translucent brown and is much cleaner looking than my Ranger after 3k miles. I am about 2k miles away from my forth oil change and the car oil level never drops between changes. 

Tom

I'd agree taking it to the quicklane means you don't have to bother with the bottom cover, but as far as leaking goes, I wouldn't trust them any more(possibly less) than doing it myself as far as making sure there's no leaks...

#6 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFuquay Varina NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:57 PM

Thanks everyone, you have surely answered my questions :wink:

The one time I took my car in to an oil change place about 40yrs ago, I had a coupon for the oil and filter change.  They called me back to the shop area where some huge muscle bound guy was standing under the car with a huge set of channel locks and he says to me, I need a new exhaust system.  He proceeded to take these huge pliers and grabbed my exhaust and said, 'look here while I squeeze'.  'He said 'your shiny exhaust is soft'.  I freaked out at the guy for doing that to my car.   I havent ever gone back to ANY service department anywhere for an oil change ever  since, no matter how many shrouds I had to remove to do the job.  I sure wouldnt mind having Ford do it, but its still easy enough to accomplish.

#7 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:28 PM

I have found if you turn on the defrosters and heat it will start ICE

#8 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,276 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:53 PM

I have found if you turn on the defrosters and heat it will start ICE

It's already been answered:  just floor the accelerator pedal and hold down till the ICE starts.  It will run till either the warmup cycle completes or you turn it off.  In hybrid speak, it's called a forced start.

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,282 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:11 PM

Try to avoid service as much as possible and do it yourself.  I got my first oil change on the first Cmax done AT THE DEALER and then when I did my 2nd oil change I found out the dealer service "boy" who did my first oil change decided 4 screws instead of 8 is enough for the bottom cover.  WTF?  I had to go to the dealer (another one) and get some screws to put back up there.

Change the oil every 20k miles.  It means the ICE perhaps has run about 8000 miles on average or could be less.  Don't forget that even when you run the engine all coasting and downhill is without engine.  So you may drive maybe about 1/3 engine for the miles that you put on.

Get some ramps and you can drive the car up on them to change the oil easily.  I do my own and will also rotate my tires every 10k miles.  Its not hard and saves me from service people who don't do a perfect job.  Some don't care, others do better.  I do all I can and save the work I can't do to their mercy.

-=>Raja.

#10 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:47 AM

I change my wife's energi oil/filter and my standard cmax hybrid and yeah, the under-cowling is a slight hassle, but after a couple changes, it's straight forward and really not that bad.  As for checking for leaks, I understand your concern there; to combat that, I practice several things:

1.  I ALWAYS look at the parking spot I leave each time to check for any liquids left behind (AC dripline condensation normal of course).

2.  Right after an oil change, I check the oil level daily for one week, then weekly for peace of mind.

3.  While under the hood, naturally check the coolant and inverter coolant levels, and brake fluid levels.

My biggest challenge has been finding a fluted oil filter wrench that fits perfectly.  I now own 7 filter wrenches and not one does the job well.  The ones I have that fit initially now slip.  Hand tight it is.

Greg   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·