Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Found something interesting today!! Parasitic power consumption

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFuquay Varina NC
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:38 PM

Today, I swapped out the license plate bulbs on my outlander sport with LED type.  Seems the stock bulbs wouldnt last all that long probably from slamming the hatch.  I noticed yesterday one died as the hatch was slammed shut.    Here are the bulbs used in this post.

Attached File  led cmax.jpg   183.94KB   0 downloads

Because I have extra bulbs, I decided to replace the bulbs on the c max with LEDs as well.  They went in as they should and work fine.  The tag is a little dimmer because the LED bulbs are kinda directional or focused forward and do not radiate well to the sides.    I was really surprised to see both bulb sockets blackened near the glass bulb area of the original type bulbs.  Wish I had taken a pic of this but the sockets are white in color except where the bulb heat cooked em.

Here is a quick pic of of the light given off with the LED.  The pic is only meant to show the brightness and that they work.

Attached File  cmax lights on.jpg   103.14KB   0 downloads

Now HERE is where the interesting observation comes in.    With the car lights OFF these LEDs are still lit but with less brilliance.  Because the LEDs draw such little current, they actually let me see that current is actually constantly flowing through the stock bulbs but not enough to light the bulbs.   In my mind, with little doubt, the c max is losing power through the stock bulbs that we never see!   Not that I have had any issues, but I sure dont want or need power being bled off while the car is doing nothing but sitting there.

Here is a pic of the light given off with all lights off.

Attached File  cmax lights off.jpg   65.91KB   0 downloads

you can click the smaller pic for a larger view.

Small update here.  With the c max on its charger for about half an hour now, the led bulbs are rapidly,  but dimly flashing.  Much much dimmer than in the pic above where the bulbs are supposed to be off.

Should know more in next few days.    

Edited by Tony_NC, 06 December 2018 - 05:05 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:19 PM

put a multimeter on it and see what it says.

#3 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:32 PM

The car runs a very small current through the bulbs to make sure they haven't burned out. You should put a resistor (2K ohms would probably low enough) across one of the bulbs. When I removed one bulb assembly and replaced it with a camera unit I also replaced the other bulb with a LED so the colors would match. I had to put a resistor in to stop the strange behavior.

#4 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:56 AM

This seems to be more common than people realize.  I remember reading reports of people simply switching standard bulbs to LEDs and that impeding their ability to set cruise control because of parasitic draw confusing the onboard computer.  Stock/OEM parts/part numbers might not be the best, but are sometimes necessary.  

Greg

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:22 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure there's anything in this car that "just supplies 12 volts".  Everything runs through the computers and every light has settings for whether they have halogen, or bulb burn out checking, etc and they use PWM, etc.  So, if you change any type of bulb most likely you'll need to mess with the computer programming if you want it to work right.

I've already run into it switching the headlights to LED, and in that search found mentions about problems when switching out turn signal bulbs, etc.

#6 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:45 AM

Hey Everyone-

Thanks for sharing your experiences and suggestions regarding this. You all have posted smart  things to think about.   

When I first spotted this occurring, I immediately thought of the folks that were having dead battery issues.  I know one glove box light left on can  bring a battery down so I immediately thought  TWO license plate lights could do it too even though they aren't lit, by just have current flowing through them.

More than the power usage, I didnt like what the heat from the bulbs has done to the bulb sockets regarding their discoloration, wish I had snapped a pic while I had it open.

Stay warm and dry this weekend!

Tony

#7 OFFLINE   radiobrown

radiobrown

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVA Beach Virginia
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 outback 98 BMW M5

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:50 PM

there is a setting in one of the modules that you can change for the bulb check, i found this in Forscan. i havent changed it as it was set to disable i believe on my 14. 
this may be a option for you to avoid wirinng in or aying for resistors.

#8 OFFLINE   Tony_NC

Tony_NC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:25 AM

RadioBrown-

This is great info,  thank you.  I will check when it warms up some.      At this point, as far as I can tell,  everything is working fine regarding the C Max operation.

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·