Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Installed a Hitch Receiver on a C-Max Energi?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 160 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationBakersfield, California
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:27 PM

My owners manual says to never tow a trailer with a C-Max yet the Europe version allows towing of up to 2,500 pounds. They make a nice hitch receiver for the C-Max and there is video showing what looks like a simple install. I have in mind a lightweight utility trailer with a 1,400-lb. max. GVWR. That seems like something easy for the C-Max. What I'm not sure of is how the C-Max proximity sensors will react. Here is the trailer I have in mind.  Input would be appreciated.       https://www.northern... ... _200660343

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 217 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:00 PM

I have one installed from Torklift. One of their Ecohitch models with the 2" receiver. Primarily used for a cargo box more than anything on longer road trips of ours. Never had any problem so far. Loaded down with 3 people and plenty of of cargo/luggage inside and out I seem to average 35mpg on non LRR tires at 70mph minimum.

For towing limits Torklift has theirs rated at 200lb tongue weight and 2000lb tow weight for our vehicles. Take those numbers as you will. I know many people with the old Ford Escape Hybrids which have virtually the same drivetrain have towed trailers in the past with few issues. Ultimately I think the consensus was the stability and braking being the biggest concerns especially when you consider trying to use the anemic ICE engine braking in an emergency.

As far as the proximity sensors from personal experience it isn't a big issue. The rears will obviously go solid beep in reverse with anything attached but the moment you shift out of reverse it stops and will not bother you going down the road.

#3 OFFLINE   olidx

olidx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Jose, California
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:22 PM

I have a installed a CURT 12092 hitch receiver. Installation was easy, and fit is very good. The only (very minor!) drawback I noted it the exhaust is slightly push down by the thickness of the support of the hitch attached to the frame since it is inserted between the frame and the hitch. Probably not a big deal, but I will look to see if I find a rubber mount a little shorter to compensate.

Only used for a bike rack thus far and I am am hopping to haul on an occasion or two a lightweight trailer to move large items.

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,265 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 27 November 2018 - 06:03 PM

I also have the Curt hitch with a steel cargo tray (I'd get aluminum next time).  Works great.

Most eCVT's aren't tow rated but the new subaru crosstek plug-in will be @ 1,000 lbs.

#5 OFFLINE   ahc19081

ahc19081

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:27 PM

I have the Ecohitch receiver which I've used for a bike rack. It installed very easily (had my local shop do it) and it looks like it belongs there. Adds tons of flexibility for travel. The only issue I've had is that with a bike rack and three mountain bikes (which I think comes very close to the 200 pounds rating of the hitch), I hear some unpleasant intermittent thumping while driving that I think reflects the suspension components reaching their limits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·