Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Power Steering Assist Fault - 2014 C-Max Energi

Best Answer countryfit , 08 December 2018 - 02:22 PM

update -

i drove my car to a nearby ford dealer for a diagnosis.  the tech yelled:  rodent!  rodent chewed your wires! 

they didn't have the replacement wires and terminal in hands, needed a special order.  they quoted $525 for the job.  i paid diagnosis fee of $130, and drove back.

yesterday, i jacked it up and dropped the skid.  didn't take a long time to find the broken wires.  pulled the loom and took this pic:

20hvdbo.jpg

took the terminal out.  the green wire was a trouble - too close to the shell impossible to solder.  pried out the top end:

24q7oz4.jpg

solder an extension:

2s7vo1x.jpg

went under the belly, and soldered the wires to where each belongs.  heat shrank all connections.  plugged the terminal to the socket:

2wcpfs7.jpg

turned engine on, no error message. put all stuff back on and drove around, no issues.

then went to home depot and got a bottle of "all animals repellent".  so far so good.  

on next monday, will call nhsta to withdraw my report.  can't blame ford for what rodent did to me :-).

thank you all!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   countryfit

countryfit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationsan jose
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:48 PM

After 3 days sitting on my driveway, yesterday morning I went to start the car and noticed a warning on the screen "Power steering assist fault".  I tried to back out to the street, but the power steering remained un-maneuverable.  Online search found out there had been a lot of reports for the very same issue on Focus, C-Max, and Fusion.  It appears this is a known issue not unique to my car. 

Has anyone else had this problem?  What are the solutions?  TIA!

11j3r5d.jpg

Edited by countryfit, 25 November 2018 - 12:50 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:28 AM

After 3 days sitting on my driveway, yesterday morning I went to start the car and noticed a warning on the screen "Power steering assist fault".  I tried to back out to the street, but the power steering remained un-maneuverable.  Online search found out there had been a lot of reports for the very same issue on Focus, C-Max, and Fusion.  It appears this is a known issue not unique to my car. 

Has anyone else had this problem?  What are the solutions?  TIA!

There was recall for some 2014s:  https://www.edmunds....ar-problem.html

Check for yours and please report your problem(s) with the NHTSA website:  https://www-odi.nhts...hicleComplaint/

Good luck and let us know how things progress!
Greg  

Edited by grege, 26 November 2018 - 02:30 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   countryfit

countryfit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationsan jose

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:01 PM

Thanks Greg!

I reported this to NHTSA on this past Sunday before I posted here :)

I called a Ford dealer yesterday.  They looked up my VIN and found no related recalls.  I'll bring this article when I am going for a diagnosis in the dealership on this coming Friday.  

Will update along the progress...  Best regards!

#4 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:51 AM

Hopefully you're covered under warranty or better yet, the recall (considering your mileage).  If not, you could always send corporate FORD USA a nice note asking for assistance (or even asking for dealer assistance) to cover some or all of the expense given "premature" failure of a serious safety component.  That doesn't always work, but have witnessed friends receiving 50 - 75% of repair costs covered.  

Good Luck!  

Greg

PS I'd recommend finding a site to type in your vehicle VIN that checks for recalls just in case a mistake was made.  e.g., https://owner.ford.c...ce/recalls.html

Thanks Greg!

I reported this to NHTSA on this past Sunday before I posted here :)

I called a Ford dealer yesterday.  They looked up my VIN and found no related recalls.  I'll bring this article when I am going for a diagnosis in the dealership on this coming Friday.  

Will update along the progress...  Best regards!

Edited by grege, 29 November 2018 - 02:56 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   countryfit

countryfit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationsan jose

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:22 PM   Best Answer

update -

i drove my car to a nearby ford dealer for a diagnosis.  the tech yelled:  rodent!  rodent chewed your wires! 

they didn't have the replacement wires and terminal in hands, needed a special order.  they quoted $525 for the job.  i paid diagnosis fee of $130, and drove back.

yesterday, i jacked it up and dropped the skid.  didn't take a long time to find the broken wires.  pulled the loom and took this pic:

20hvdbo.jpg

took the terminal out.  the green wire was a trouble - too close to the shell impossible to solder.  pried out the top end:

24q7oz4.jpg

solder an extension:

2s7vo1x.jpg

went under the belly, and soldered the wires to where each belongs.  heat shrank all connections.  plugged the terminal to the socket:

2wcpfs7.jpg

turned engine on, no error message. put all stuff back on and drove around, no issues.

then went to home depot and got a bottle of "all animals repellent".  so far so good.  

on next monday, will call nhsta to withdraw my report.  can't blame ford for what rodent did to me :-).

thank you all!

Edited by countryfit, 08 December 2018 - 02:23 PM.

• Levi Smith likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·