Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Cold Weather Battery Behavior Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blandman

blandman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

We moved from the Bay Area to Southern Oregon this last April, so I haven't had much winter driving experience with my NRG. Cold weather is now upon us. Mornings are in the high 20s low 40's. I am seeing the engine coming on for awhile when I start driving in the morning, even though the HVB is fully charged. Is this normal? Does the engine need to be at a minimum temperature like my old Prius?

This car is about 5 1/2 years old.

The last time the 12V accessory battery was replaced was about 4 years ago. It was checked by the dealer in late May of this year and they said it was fine. 

I normally return from my travels with the HVB at zero miles and then fully charge overnight.

I park outside.

Your thoughts and/or experience?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

If you are in Auto mode the engine could come on.  Are you turning the heat on?  If you're trying to heat the car then the demand is there to make heat, and the car says he wants heat so start the engine to warm it up quicker.

If you want to remain EV switch it to EV now instead of auto.  However, I would discourage you from using heat on the battery only as its very taxing on it.  Draws an additional 30+ amps on top of what your driving demand is.

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   blandman

blandman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:58 PM

Sometimes, yes. I am using the heater to defrost the windshield and take the chill off, if needed. I will experiment further...

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:31 PM

If you turn on the defrost the engine is going to start, usually.  Also the heat can cause it.  That's why its happening for sure.

I drive without heat but that's my choice.  I rather use the battery to propel the car than to warm it.  If/when I start the engine once its hot only then will I turn on heat if needed.

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:45 AM

Yeah, the heater will draw a lot of power no matter what to start(unless you wait until the water temp is already warm before turning on the heater).  And in Auto mode, it's very likely to turn on the ICE. 

Defrost is closer to double heater...  I've been looking and my best guess is that it wants the water temp closer to twice as warm if you have the defroster on(you can get it lower if you keep the air on your feet as well as defrost).  The heater may be on, up to temp and drawing nothing at all on the climate screen, but as soon as you turn on the defroster BAM, it starts drawing max power again(unless I think the temp gauge is like up to fully warm/halfway on the temp gauge).  And it's REALLY likely to start up the ICE.

Same with remote start, it's very likely to start the ICE if the temp is very cold under the defaults.

#6 OFFLINE   blandman

blandman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:27 PM

Thanks again, all. I drove this morning - a warmer day, and did not use the heater or defroster. No engine activity the whole trip out and back. Just to be safe, though, I have made an appointment to get an oil change and will have a new battery put in. The last time the battery was replaced was in March, 2014, after having some of the infamous 12V battery  issues we 2013 owners experienced. I think 4.5 years of service from a 12V battery is getting close to what I would expect. I live a few miles out of town, so I'd rather pay now that go through the hassle of a dead battery sometime in the next few months.

#7 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:36 AM

You're using Go Times to preheat the car, right? That really cuts down on my engine use in winter.

#8 OFFLINE   blandman

blandman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:10 PM

Not at this time. I am now retired and my departure times are quite variable. Of course living in the Bay Area before this year did not require any special preheating system as it rarely gets very cold along that stretch of the Pacific Ocean. 

#9 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:23 PM

It only takes 20 minutes warning to have an effective Go Time heating, in my experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·