Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

looking at turning over a new Leaf

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationdenver
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:22 AM

So my wife was able to get signed up by a market research company here in Denver for looking at all electric cars.  I stopped by the local Nissan Dealer to look at a Leaf, the only other EV dealer was Ford and I really don't even fit in a Focus.

I was pleasantly surprised by the car overall, a couple of things that I noticed were that it does not offer dual zone AC and anyone who drives with someone else in the car knows that often they like a different temp than the other person.  The other issue was the lack of liquid cooling which really surprised me to tell the truth.

The dealer was offering about 2K off the sticker price plus the usual tax credits, one nice thing they did offer was to apply the state credit to the price of the car since in Colorado it is 5K.

The price did not work out, now another dealer that reached out to my via an online request has offered me pretty much the same car with 10K off.  I am waiting to see if they were including tax credits or not if not it is an easy choice the car lists for 38K-10 is 28 minus the 7500  and 5K state brings the car down to $15,500, to me that is pretty much a no brainer I would just need to figure out the best way to plug in the car using the plug from my dryer until I can get someone to move it to my garage.

Right now I have 70K miles on my 2013 CMAX that I purchased in June of 2014, due to the 6 yr zero interest loan I am just about even with the cars trade in value and what I owe, about 5K.

There is also the possibility  of a 3K local energy company rebate.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 02 November 2018 - 03:32 AM

Yeah, if you can find the right deal, the prices can get crazy low.  I recall reading one article where the guy got a Leaf for like under $10K after the rebates, last years model, a dealer from the right state, etc.

#3 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:16 AM

So the dealer was a little misleading but still a good deal.

2K off from dealer

3K from Xcel Energy in Colorado

5K from state of Colorado they take these 3 off the price of the car as i assume you can sign over the rebate/credit

7500  from the federal government

Total  17,500 off the MSRP of any Leaf

You need to have taxable income of about 55K to use the full tax credit.  https://www.irs.gov/...1040tt--dft.pdf

My plan is to wait and see the 2019 LEAF is supposed to offer an even larger battery so they may realize that the 2018s need to be moved.

#4 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:02 AM

I've thought about leasing a 2018 Leaf too while trading in my C-Max; they seem to have greatly improved the safety, the 150-mile range is sufficient, and I like the hatchback form. I wouldn't buy one new, though, because of their terrible history with battery lifetime.

#5 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:38 AM

They have improved the battery issue and Nissan has one of the clearest battery warranties around.  Leasing does not get you all the rebates here in Colorado.

I would like to find a loaner or demo Leaf with a few miles on it then I could get the benefit of the rebates and incentives without waiting  plus a little lower price.

Since with the incentives the car as used loses $15,500.00 as soon as you get it registered in Colorado.

#6 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:04 AM

For me, the Leaf is a zero-interest option. Why? One power option isn't enough, when I could have two. The C-Max allows me to drive EV locally, and go anywhere I want on gas, at a remarkably low net fuel cost of about 4 cents per mile. Versatility beats (I won't say "trumps" anymore) specialization. Even a trip from Denver to Colorado Springs will test your battery range (lower in the cold), and a slowdown or shutdown on I-25 would put you in a serious and uncomfortable predicament. Using your other vehicle might be the option, but it's probably not nearly as efficient as a C-max in hybrid mode. So I don't see any upside to making this trade, unless you no longer trust the Ford after six years.

If you're sold on EVs because of the carbon issue, remember that in the Xcel power grid here, an EV emits the equivalent CO of a 38 MPG gas car (Union of Concerned Scientists).

Edited by GTIguy, 18 November 2018 - 10:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·