Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Winter weather car pre-heating

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:50 AM

It's easy to say 'you bought the wrong car' and leave it as that. It is not always that simple.

For example in my own case and why I settled on the C-Max is because of the following:

1) There were no useful all EV vehicles at the time. The Bolt did not yet exist, and even if it did it would have to have been purchased new or lease. The Tesla Model 3 was still in production hell.

2) Where I live, there's STILL no options for decent fast charging once you get outside of the metro area here. We're just now seeing announcements from Electrify America that they are planning a few DCFC spots in strategic spots along a couple highways here that will FINALLY make owning an EV at least somewhat feasible.

3) The only other good PHEV option at the time was the Volt and it would have been a no brainer except for the reduction in cargo space and the ridiculous battery hump in the back seat. I rather prefer the hatchback style or in a compromise a CUV.

4) No luxury owning more than a single car per person due to both space and finances. Got to have a practical car that commute and make longer trips without any major compromises.

I think the whole 'piston rusting' is hyperbole at best. We're not one of the older members (whose name I forget and don't care to track down) who went to extremes to maximize their EV usage and even with that said I doubt rusting or any other degradation is going to be an issue within the set time frame Ford programmed for the stale fuel burn mode.

Again as a personal note: I do go on longer trips about once a month or at the very least every other month and go to my brother's place about once a week which, while only 10 miles away is mostly highway so using the ICE is a must.

With that said if my daily commute fits within one full charge even using the battery for heat, why shouldn't I use it and take full advantage? The full 5kw+ load only lasts for 1/2 mile at most and drops down quite quickly. Quite comparable to AC usage I've seen with outside temps at 95+. Sometimes the draw may be enough that eventually I do run out of charge but I do make note of the forecasted temps that day and anticipated heat use and will likely use the ICE completely the drive in during the morning when it is coldest if I know I will end up using heat later in the day. Better IMHO than making it about halfway home in the afternoon and having the ICE run for only the last mile or two in stop and go traffic. I do at the very least make a conscious effort to try to avoid exacerbating conditions that would cause it to go into oil maintenance mode more than necessary.

Edited by cr08, 31 October 2018 - 03:54 AM.

• ShoulderThingThatGoesUP likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   radiobrown

radiobrown

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationVA Beach Virginia
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 outback 98 BMW M5

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:49 AM

I don't want to say it the wrong way, but if you don't want to burn gasoline you got the wrong car.  You should have gotten an all electric like the Chevy Bolt for example, about the same room inside and 200 miles of range probably in winter.

With this car its perfect because you have the option for both, and you can easily net 2 to 3 times MPG of a gas only car.  Don't try to go 100% battery all the time, use some gas, after all, you did buy an engine also.  If you just use the battery you're going to wear it out and the pistons are going to rust...!

-=>Raja.

the pistons are not steel. nor is the block. the rings are stainless steel. and the bore is a steel sleeve that nitro coated. that can only be damaged by extreme heat to loose its antirust property's

#43 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:36 AM

Your pistons are going to "rust" was just a figure of speech for folks that don't ever want to use the engine and try to recharge the HVB all the time to travel around.

Anyway, do as you wish, my point is don't forgot you did buy an engine also...

-=>Raja.

#44 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:25 AM

Correct I believe that one reason my car has pretty much been worry free is that my EV and IC mileage is about 50/50 I avoid using EV  unless I am driving below 50 MPH.

70K miles same 12V battery.

#45 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:13 PM

^^^ Excellent fredf!  My 2013 I had for 73+K miles original tires and 12v battery and the HVB could still put out 5.3 to 5.4kwh on a full charge.  About 40k miles were EV out of the 73, some also come from hybrid mode with the engine running so not 100% from recharging the HVB as we all know.

My 2017 I'm at 29k miles now.  Have not tested the HVB recently how far it could go but I baby it more than ever than the first one so that capacity loss is not from my usage or mistake.

-=>Raja.

#46 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:08 PM

Mine is taking about 4 hours to charge with the Ford charger from zero charge left.

#47 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:08 PM

It should be longer than that, over 5 hours, maybe you got some capacity loss :(

-=>Raja.

#48 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

I know for sure I have capacity loss.

#49 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 307 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

10 cents a kwh and you pay an extra cent for renewable energy, that's unheard of these days just about (9 cents per kwh).  Is that delivered cost or just the KWH and then you have to add all the delivery charges?  You're certainly lucky in that sense in your area.

Here in Boston its more like 18.7 cents per kwh at the cheapest rate.  Right now its 20 cents per kwh and that doesn't include any delivery charges.  I don't have those on my bill as I'm solar and they actually pay me 20 cents per kwh for whatever I give them back.  They, of course, do not pay me for delivery charges but will charge me delivery charges if I use any kwh.

Last winter it was 22 cents per kwh (without delivery costs which will add about 5 cents per kwh), and during the summer its as low as 18.7 cents per kwh.

On the good news side I get paid more per kwh for solar during the winter, when I make less energy so that helps give me more money.

Also on the good news in MA you can get SRECs and with that payback for solar is less than 5 years if you include the electric cost savings, if you don't its right at the 5 year mark.  I got solar in 2013 and I have received all my initial investment back as of this past summer.  Now I'm in the green finally.

-=>Raja.

Here in Michigan we pay 9 cents kWh. The delivery charges are so minimal that I really don’t even count them. Way cheaper than when we lived in Los Angeles. I think it was upwards of 28 cents a kWh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·