Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Loose Steering in 2014 Energi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Svany217

Svany217

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 'Blue', 2014 C-Max Energi 'Red'

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:20 PM

Hi all, New to the forum but I own two Energis so I thought I should join.
Has anyone had any issues with steering looseness? My 2014 was my first plug in hybrid, and I bought it in 2016. I took it to the local Ford dealership about a month after I bought it with complaints that the steering was a bit loose. The car at that time had about 9k miles on it so everything was under warranty. The Ford service folks told me to was fine and that plug in hybrids just drove a little differently. Two years later, now at 70k miles (I drive a lot) and I bought another Energi, a 2013. It's steering is completely normal and feels like my husband's Camry Hybrid. So now we are both wondering what the heck is going on with this 2014's steering. It's not difficult to turn, just had a tendency to pull right and has a lot of play. It's been aligned and maintained regularly, new tires and alignment back in March/April.

I'm reading about the steering issues in the Fusions and I'm wondering if this could be related? Not sure if Ford uses any of the same parts, but I don't see a recall for the C-Max's on the steering. Any advice?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:02 AM

I'd try another dealer to check it.  Have a 2018 titanium hybrid and the steering is odd, meaning it feels like it drifts slightly, requiring more driver attention and input to correct.  My wife's 2017 energi does not seem to do this.  It is faint, but it is there and unlike previous cars I've owned.  Eventually, I'll have it checked but suspect it'll be reported as "normal" or "can't reproduce".

Greg

#3 OFFLINE   yeedk

yeedk

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationRichmond Hill
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:42 PM

Could it be this?

Recall Number
14V514000
Recall Date
08/22/2014
Component
STEERING
Summary
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2014 Focus and C-Max vehicles manufactured August 8, 2014, to August 15, 2014. The affected vehicles may have steering gears that were incorrectly assembled.

Consequence
The incorrectly manufactured steering gears may cause impaired steering, including the loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a crash.

What Owners Should Do
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the steering gears, free of charge. The recall began on November 11, 2014. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-800-392-3673. Ford's number for this recall is 14S18.

#4 OFFLINE   yeedk

yeedk

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationRichmond Hill
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:42 PM

Removed double post.

Edited by yeedk, 11 October 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Svany217

Svany217

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:24 PM

Thank you both.. I'll look into the recall but I think the car was manufactured late 2013 based on what I see on the sticker inside the door. But maybe Ford will still look into it for me and pay for it? Crossing my fingers.

I'm glad to hear that at least one other C-Max owner has experienced this as well... Obviously your 2018 is much newer than mine but if your wife's 2017 doesn't have it maybe it's a hit or miss issue.

#6 OFFLINE   Svany217

Svany217

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:24 PM

Must have clicked post twice... Deleted a double post.

Edited by Svany217, 11 October 2018 - 06:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·