Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Is battery degraded?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   myaman

myaman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:CMax energi

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:44 PM

I just bought a used 2015 CMax Energi with 24600 miles on it for 13k considering it a good deal.  The car was leased and registered by single owner in Portland, OR earlier so don't expect it to be subjected to extreme high temperatures because of mild summers.

Need some advice from fellow Cmax energi drivers who have acquired wealth of information while driving it over the year:

Now I am wondering if it has any battery deterioration. When charged from empty to full using the Ford 110v charger it gets charged in just 5 hours, On full charge, it shows 25 miles to go as soon as I turn on climate control the estimated range drops to 18. Does that means a degraded battery? How do I conclusively know how much capacity it has now? If its low how to present the findings in a compelling way to Ford to replace under warranty? I dont see anything in warranty information the degradation % at which Ford will replace it, seems like a way by Ford to keep this open to interpretations and avoid under warranty replacements.

Edited by myaman, 28 September 2018 - 04:45 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:28 AM

I just bought a used 2015 CMax Energi with 24600 miles on it for 13k considering it a good deal.  The car was leased and registered by single owner in Portland, OR earlier so don't expect it to be subjected to extreme high temperatures because of mild summers.

Need some advice from fellow Cmax energi drivers who have acquired wealth of information while driving it over the year:

Now I am wondering if it has any battery deterioration. When charged from empty to full using the Ford 110v charger it gets charged in just 5 hours, On full charge, it shows 25 miles to go as soon as I turn on climate control the estimated range drops to 18. Does that means a degraded battery? How do I conclusively know how much capacity it has now? If its low how to present the findings in a compelling way to Ford to replace under warranty? I dont see anything in warranty information the degradation % at which Ford will replace it, seems like a way by Ford to keep this open to interpretations and avoid under warranty replacements.

The best way to determine it there is any degradation to the HVB capacity is to charge the HVB to Full, reset a trip odometer and drive until the the car depletes the battery and switches over to Hybrid. At that point the kWh used in the trip meter should show about 5.5kWh. Anything less would indicate some level of capacity loss. Several tests should be run to confirm the HVB capacity.

If you are observe a 5 hour charge cycle it is likely that any capacity loss is fairly minor. You will be hard pressed to push for a warrantee replacement unless the capacity loss is severe. Even then it is likely to be a long shot. 

One note about charging to full. I have observed that when the lights go out on the charge ring there may still be charging in progress. When the HVB gets nearly full the last little bit will occur at a slow rate even though the charge rings are not longer lit.

The miles range display is an estimate based on your previous driving style/pattern rather than actual battery capacity. I have always observed a significant  drop off in the miles estimate over the first mile driven that is now exaggerated since I do have lost 1.5kWh capacity. Part of the reason for the initial miles estimate drop off for me is that my first mile is mostly an uphill slope. 

Tom

#3 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

Tom_NC_1 is spot on with his comments.  The estimated miles is just that, an estimate based on how your last drive was.  The kWh from full to when ICE turns on is the better gauge of battery life.  Or you can get a TorquePro app and an OBD2 reader and program the Energy_to_empty PID (more complicated).  The dealer can do it if you bring in a full battery (charge it and then lock in hybrid mode).  But 5.5 is the ideal for a new battery. My 2013 NRG at 50,000 would only deliver 3.3, most of my estimate miles were around 15/17.  And please don't have any hope of a warranty replacement, regardless of capacity or battery degradation.  Ford dealer and corporate told me to pound sand. 

#4 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

Tom_NC_1 is spot on with his comments.  The estimated miles is just that, an estimate based on how your last drive was.  The kWh from full to when ICE turns on is the better gauge of battery life.  Or you can get a TorquePro app and an OBD2 reader and program the Energy_to_empty PID (more complicated).  The dealer can do it if you bring in a full battery (charge it and then lock in hybrid mode).  But 5.5 is the ideal for a new battery. My 2013 NRG at 50,000 would only deliver 3.3, most of my estimate miles were around 15/17.  And please don't have any hope of a warranty replacement, regardless of capacity or battery degradation.  Ford dealer and corporate told me to pound sand. 

Thanks dontfret.

I did quite a bit of testing for the Energy_to_Empty PID with input from Linear-Logic (Maker of the ScanGauge). The Energy_to_Empty PID is an estimate and from my testing observed no way to use the values to determine lost capacity of the HVB. The value simply drops faster when on a degraded HVB.

The only PID I have found to give an indication of capacity loss is SOC. The ScanGauge originally showed the SOC as 98% when full. Now I am observe about 95% SOC when the pack is full.

For myaman, Let us know the results if you test the HVB capacity with the trip odometer.

Tom

#5 OFFLINE   myaman

myaman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:54 PM

Here are the results from the test, started driving on full charge, ran some errands, attaching the pic after full discharge. 20.9 EV miles, 4.8 kwh.
It's not hot either, it's just 66.

Attached Files

Edited by myaman, 29 September 2018 - 05:25 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Arrival

Arrival

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi 303A w/pano

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:00 PM

Regarding the climate control dropping the estimated range, it's because of the energy required to run the a/c or heater.  If you turn off the a/c, the estimated range will jump back up.   There is no belt driven compressor, the a/c is all electric, and same with the heat.  It doesn't use coolant hoses, it's electric too.   Folks have suggested using the seat heaters rather than the climate heater to extend the range.    

#7 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:47 AM

Here are the results from the test, started driving on full charge, ran some errands, attaching the pic after full discharge. 20.9 EV miles, 4.8 kwh.
It's not hot either, it's just 

So you have a little lost capacity. Not anything that Ford would address. If you talk to the service department they will most likely fall back to the argument that the HVB will normally lose some capacity over time. 

If you plan to keep the car for the long term the best proactive advice will be to avoid overheating the HVB during hot weather. Other than the shortcomings of air cooled HVB this is a great car. Enjoy it!

Tom

#8 OFFLINE   myaman

myaman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 September 2018 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Tom, if I run with climate on, the range would be less than 20. From reading these forums Ford seems to point to overall range when someone complains about reduced battery capacity. So by that argument, the range is reduced and Ford should address it. Let me contact Ford directly without going through a dealer to see what they say.

#9 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:09 AM

Good luck but I don't believe you will get very far without going through the dealer to document any HVB capacity issues. 

You will also run into a problem using the milage estimate displayed to complain. That value is effected by so many factors that it is not very accurate. That is why it is often referred as a guesstimate when referenced in this forum. I have personally charged to full after varying types of driving that resulted in the full estimate swinging  from 17 to 28 miles and this on a HVB that has had over 1.5kWh lost capacity. 

In any event I hope you let us know how your contact with Ford goes.

Tom

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:55 PM

At the end of the day, advice for all is try not to stress you battery.  If you are using the engine or planning on using it, then use it to climb hills instead of drawing 100 amps out of the battery to climb a hill and several miles down the road starting the engine anyways because the HVB has been all used up.  Doing hills with the battery can heat it up 2 degrees in seconds when you pull so much current.  Whatever the case may be, its not a good idea in my opinion.  Sometimes its best to use the engine and save the battery for easier tasks.  After all, you're still going to have that battery for a long time, and you can use it for other purposes way further down the road if you don't stress it as much.

Just some advice hope it helps.

-=>Raja.

#11 OFFLINE   myaman

myaman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:16 AM

Sure Tom and Raja, I am following the advice mentioned on the forum based in your experiences as I plan to keep the car for long term.

My daily driving is around 15 miles with short 1 mile, 2 mile trips, weekend trips can be longer up to 50 miles. So it's range is perfect for my daily needs. I charge it every other day at night with 110 v charger at home whenever battery is completely out, so I do use gas every now and then.
I will keep you guys updated on how my talks with Ford go reg. degraded battery.

Edited by myaman, 02 October 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:29 AM

I had that conversation with Ford directly (after getting no satisfaction with dealers, who in turn had contacted Ford on my behalf).  I sincerely hope your experience is different/better than mine.  I'm quoting here from my 2016 forum posting (and I was even resigned to enjoy my NRG as a hybrid - I've since traded it in on a 2018 Kia Niro PHEV):  

I pursued this with Ford at the dealership, demanding to know what they warrantied the battery capacity to be.  The dealership was authorized by Ford Hotline, conducted the battery tests, including determining the battery capacity at 100%, 50% and 20% charge levels.  Despite agreeing the battery was only delivering around 14 estimated miles, and only capable of storing 5.4 kwh (that includes the ~1.5kwh it reserves for hybrid mode, so my getting around 3.6kwh as EV driving makes sense), Ford Hotline concluded by telling the dealership to tell the customer (me) this is 'normal wear and tear battery loss of capacity.'  I pushed to get them to state what is ABNORMAL battery loss that would justify a warranty replacement.  They refused to answer.  I spent around 15 minutes on a taped phone call with Ford Customer Service which concluded with the agent also refusing to tell me the warranty level, instead telling me the battery is warranteed for miles and time, but the capacity level which warranteed is "proprietary and cannot be divulged to customers."  So in essence whatever your degraded capacity is, it will always be within warranty since they won't tell you what that level is.  I would expect if it at some time runs only as a hybrid with no significant plug in capacity (e.g., show estimated 5 EV miles at full charge, worst case scenario), that would still (in Ford's mind) qualify as being within warranty and not justify a replacement.  At that point, enjoy your Cmax Hybrid - oh wait, we bought Energis, didn't we ???   :stop:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·