Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Any good options for headlights?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   radiobrown

radiobrown

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationVA Beach Virginia
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 outback 98 BMW M5

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:12 PM

do you still happen to have the driver? i have a J2534 Mini-Vci that used for the yoda years as go i have no idea where the cd is now withthe drivers.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   radiobrown

radiobrown

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationVA Beach Virginia
  • Current Vehicle:2016 outback 98 BMW M5

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:31 PM

never mind seems i dont need them or they will never work with my windows 10 touch screen pc... so i am not sure if its a driver issue or a cable issue.

#23 OFFLINE   olidx

olidx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Jose, California
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:54 PM

Hi Levi,

Now that we are getting less sunlight, how do you like the LED headlights?

I am tempted to pull the trigger, and I was curious how was you longer term experience?

#24 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:12 AM

never mind seems i dont need them or they will never work with my windows 10 touch screen pc... so i am not sure if its a driver issue or a cable issue.

Hmm, mine worked with Win10.  Not sure if they would work for you, but let me know if you want me to see what I can dig up for the driver.(As I recall it was a convoluted install, not a simple/normal driver install)

#25 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:40 AM

Hi Levi,

Now that we are getting less sunlight, how do you like the LED headlights?

I am tempted to pull the trigger, and I was curious how was you longer term experience?

Yeah...  I am really struggling with them...  I've had a few more occasions with more dark...  I've been really back and forth.

I put the other LED bulbs for the high beams and fog lights on my wish list a few weeks ago cause I thought I liked them better.

Then a couple weeks ago there was a good dark time and I thought "No, these are definitely not as bright, I'm going back to the halogens".

Then like a few day later we were out in the Sienna Halloween night which my wife and I have both liked the lighting of and I thought "Well, this doesn't look too great either."(It was a bit rainy/misty out, so I'm attributing it to that)".

So...  In summary, I'm really left unsure at this point.  My gut feelings are that the color is better, but perhaps that color doesn't stand out as much at certain times when the sunlight is still slightly out, but I think the bulbs may be a bit less bright.  I definitely wouldn't say they seem any brighter, but the color seems to catch better?(Not sure how to phrase it, but I'm seeing signs shining more and there are times on the gray road where the color seems to highlight things better).

I guess I'd say at the moment I probably wouldn't do these bulbs again, but I don't know that they're worse.  If you could find a bulb you could verify was actually brighter(It seems there's no sense to the lumen ratings anywhere based on what I've seen), then I'd go with that even if it had a fan, as long as it wasn't going to just die in a few months...

#26 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:40 AM

At the end of the day might be not worth it to switch out headlights just stick with the OEM setup and use the high beams when necessary or as much as possible to increase the lighting on country roads.  Fog lights with low beams and should be OK.  

I wish there was a way to reprogram the car to make the fog lights work with high beams also, anyone know how to do that?  Its possible with Mini to do it, I did that already, but with the Ford not sure.

-=>Raja.

#27 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:43 AM

I wish there was a way to reprogram the car to make the fog lights work with high beams also, anyone know how to do that?  Its possible with Mini to do it, I did that already, but with the Ford not sure.

-=>Raja.

From what I can gather it's likely possible.  I saw on a Fusion forum where they had the keys to change it at least for certain years with Forscan.  It's called "Bambi mode".  

#28 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:52 AM

Yes with the Mini there is a Bimmercode app and you can change several things, I did the following:

a) turn off the annoying fake engine sound

b) make the fog lights work in any mode meaning parking lights or high beams also (originally they only worked with low beam).

c) Make the tailgate close with the remote and the door pushbutton by the driver.  Normally only open but you have to close it with its own button.

d) Make the door handle lights come on while backing up.  Useful as right mirror looks at the ground and at night with lights you can see the curb better.

Things like that.

In the Cmax I'd like to program:

a) All windows up with the remote

b) fog lights on in high beam, now only with parking lights and low beams.

-=>Raja.

• olidx and stolenmoment like this

#29 OFFLINE   olidx

olidx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:52 PM

Thanks Levi for the update! Perhaps lets wait and see what new LEDs are coming up on the market, perhaps with lumen-specified specs in the coming months...

Raja, actually one more feature I'd be looking for is to also get all windows down with remote.

I changed the tail/stop lights LED to Sylvania ZEVO LED lights and this was a great upgrade for the following reasons:

- Color is deep red as the LED is red

- Good or better brightness than stock

- Reduced power consumption

- No turn-on delay and I read articles stating that this can help reduce accidents as the regular bulb take a fraction of a second to be visible and that translate to as much heads-up time for the following cars

- It also turns on with the same rate as the central light

- An unexpected benefit is that the bulbs emit a dim light for a while after leaving the car, (maybe 30 minutes or so) and when there is activity around the car. It does not appear to have any other effect on battery, I assume the current drain is very small and probably there even with stock bulbs but they do not emit the light.

There are other options as far as LED tail light bulbs, I do not know if they all have the same properties.

#30 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:59 PM

"Raja, actually one more feature I'd be looking for is to also get all windows down with remote."

That feature already exists, push the remote unlock button, let go, push it again and hold it until all the windows roll down all the way.

-=>Raja.

• ShoulderThingThatGoesUP likes this

#31 OFFLINE   olidx

olidx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:35 PM

"actually one more feature I'd be looking for is to also get all windows down with remote."

That feature already exists

Dang, sorry I forgot, my bad. Yes, I must have thought about the close all windows with the remote, which you already mentioned!

#32 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:45 AM

As I recall, you just hold down the unlock button to drop the windows.  No need to click, unclick/reclick.

And as baffling as it is to me, as much as I recall with the Fusion Forums and the multitude of options hidden in the software from bambi mode to black out mode, etc.  I believe it seems somehow the option for raising the windows back up again is just not in there.  Which just seems weird as can be to me...

#33 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:10 AM

do you still happen to have the driver? i have a J2534 Mini-Vci that used for the yoda years as go i have no idea where the cd is now withthe drivers.

I believe this is the driver I used:

http://www.filedropp...vervcmii1200412

#34 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:30 PM