Well, here's where I'm at:
I got the LED's, hoped to at least get a chance to see if they flickered when plugged in as I suspected Friday aftenroon. Nope, took one look and apparently never noticed that you can't "just" change a bulb. Of course...
So Friday night I decided to tackle it, thinking I might be out Sat morning before sunrise. OMG, do I hate this car. I was feeling better about Max this week after finally conquering the ability to get the headlights to be off. The biggest issue is the stupid headlights themselves. I watched a couple different videos on how to remove the entire headlight assembly(because of course, why wouldn't you? I should be thankful I didn't have to remove a bumper and fender, right?!). Well, after 4 bolts, a trim plug then... Yeah, still just the front edge gets a bit loose, but nothing comes out. I'd say after about half an hour I got the driver's side free. Still not sure how. Never did get the passenger side housing free after another half hour(and I have no idea how I didn't end up cracking/smashing/otherwise breaking it), though I did manage to get the bulb changed.
So as for the actual bulb change... Just plugging in first to check for flicker... Nope, indeed Max will not even do ANYTHING with the LED bulbs plugged in. They look dead as a doornail. So go get the laptop... Forscan, And beyond the normal BCM where the DRL setting is and into the Central Config and Engineering mode. In there you can edit the headlights. I thought I had seen some sort of alternative/HID option, but I guess not. There is some sort of "GDL/camera based turning/aiming headlights or some such thing". Anyway, setting the headlights from Halogen to "Not Cofigured" and then Bam, LED's are lit up no problem.
So, on to actually putting the LED bulbs in. As suspected the issue is the big heat sink. Which actually wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but of course there is a plastic tab inside the headlight assembly(but NOT inside the actual headlight/reflector portion) that is in the way and apparently has zero function(my best guess is maybe they used it for assembly on a machine in some way...) I ended up getting a pair of small diagonal clippers in there and chipping off a couple pieces(this was a lot harder on the passenger side headlamp that I couldn't get out). Once that was out of the way, the LED's pop in just like the Halogen bulbs. The harness plugs into the existing harness no problem and there's plenty of room inside the headlight assembly to tuck the cord in and put the dust cover back on.
As it is, I haven't taken it for a real drive, but for a check in the garage and a quick pop on the road my initial impressions are "eh". About what I expected but hoped I would be pleasantly surprised... Which is to say, the light output looks about the same, the color is much whiter(of course it's all mixed with the fogs or high beams on since those are still the yellowish halogens). I have dropped my energy usage from 55W to 20W each.
In summary, we shall see what I think as I actually get more real life driving with them But if you want the whiter color and lower power usage, hey why not. I would go this way if my old bulbs were dead, but in hindsight I wouldn't have done this as I just did in hopes of more light. But I knew there was a good chance to begin with.
And if anyone can tell me or point me to someone who can accurately tell/show me how one is supposed to get those headlight assemblies out the please do! I would be in a much better mood if I hadn't spent more than an hour just yanking, shaking and yelling obscenities at those stupid things!