Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Farewell my Cmax NRG Community

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

After 5 years of truly enjoyable driving, my dear Ruby has now been traded in yesterday for a new PHEV (2018 Kia Niro EX Premium).  She served our family well and gave us 50,000 miles of fun and fuel economy.  My decision was mostly based on getting the new safety technology (lane assist, blind spot alerts, adaptive cruise control, forward radar collision braking...), and partly to get red HOV lane stickers (it's a California thing).  Just felt for the price it was time to trade to a newer PHEV with longer EV range while the CMax still had good value and before any import tariffs might raise prices.  So while I'll occasionally lurk here, my best to you all for what you have taught me about PHEV driving, battery life, OBD2 readers and car modifications.  Be well, and good driving to all.  As we used to sign off in the days of CB radio, "Y'all keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down and we'll see ya on the flip flop." :shift:

Edited by dontfret, 27 August 2018 - 08:50 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

Well we're going to miss ya' but please give us a review on the Niro before you go!

• dontfret likes this

#3 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:11 PM

Just curious, but after test driving 5 NIRO Hybrids to me the interiors were cheaper than the CMAX and I was able to get better MPG's with my CMAX Hybrid.  How is the performance compare with NRG and where did they find room for the HVB? :headscratch:  Also what kind of EV range are you getting?

Paul

#4 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:06 PM

Just curious, but after test driving 5 NIRO Hybrids to me the interiors were cheaper than the CMAX and I was able to get better MPG's with my CMAX Hybrid.  How is the performance compare with NRG and where did they find room for the HVB? :headscratch:  Also what kind of EV range are you getting?

Paul

Luxury feel depends on the trim level - I opted to PHEV EX Premium, leather AC ventilated/heated seats and steering wheel, 8-speaker HK sound system.  EV estimate is (day 1) at 26 miles, have to see if that changes in the real world or after experience.   Hybrid Niro is not the same as PHEV Niro - more powerful EV engine in PHEV.  Performance seems about the same as NRG, perhaps a bit quicker on pickup, Niro uses a 6-speed instead of CVT, so the high whine doesn't happen on highway driving.  Also allows Sport mode and manual shifting of ICE, so can jack rabbit from a start - similar to our (oops, your :( ) NRG mashing down accelerator and firing both engines.  Which also happens in hybrid mode or if you exceed demand on EV, like NRG.  Roides 'nicer' with the 16" wheels.  In just 2 days (car only has around 50 miles on it when I took it yesterday) shows ~70mpg, including the EV. 

Battery is under cargo floor and back seats, no different from Niro Hybrid cargo space except under their cargo floor is some additional open storage, which is taken away by the additional PHEV batteries.  12V is easily accessible in cargo area.  Remember, Niro was built as a Hybrid, NRG was modified from a gas/diesel Cmax format so the hybrid and plug in Cmax batteries were added inside the cargo area.  So unlike Cmax Hybrid vs. NRG, Niro cargo floor is same height and nearly flat when back seats dropped.    My pre-purchase test was to bring my road bicycle in the NRG and make sure it fit flat in back of Niro without removing wheels. For 2019 Niro is coming with an EV model, be interesting to see if they end up with a NRG-like hump.  

Edited by dontfret, 27 August 2018 - 02:12 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationdenver
  • My C-MAX:2013

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:02 PM

I am pretty torn myself hopefully I will have a new job going from 27 to 7 miles each way.  I would like to get another PHEV but there is no middle ground as far as cost and features.

I am probably going to wait until the spring unless something pops up.

#6 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

I am thinking along the same lines of getting a phev with all the safety features but I will wait until I've had my C-Max for three years, so one to go yet...

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

Congrats on the new car!!  Just replied to you via PM.  Do let us know how you make out with the Niro, I'd love to hear about the performance metrics on battery and gas mileage, etc.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·