Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

servicesd.exe, and car will not start

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   meenergy

meenergy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationCalifornia
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:45 PM

servicesd.exe, and car will not start

Sequence of events,

While driving the main touch screen display and all display lights flickered and flickered momentarily, radio went dead then went back to normal. It repeated this a few more times in a 15 minute time span, I continue driving and got home okay and shut the car off. The next morning the battery was dead, I charged it and it drove fine that day, but the next morning the battery was dead again.

I replaced the battery with a high quality Odyssey battery and the car drove and performed fine no problems for about 2 weeks.

Then one day while driving the main touch sync screen went black and radio went dead, then began to display the message (performing scheduled system maintenance, then reads application servicesd.exe encountered an error and must be shut down) then going black again and repeating with the same message over and over. I made one stop at the store before I went home, got back in the car, car started but the screen continue the same boot loop. I got home and turned car off turned it back on same problem. I decided to disconnect the main battery for 15 minutes in order to see if it reset the problem. When I connected the battery backup I got the following messages and the car would not start.

Service advance trac

Check park aid

Low engine oil pressure

engine coolant over temperature

Tire pressure monitor fault

Service Tire Mobility kit

And the touchscreen continues the reboot loop (Sync performing scheduled system maintenance with servicesd.exe error)

I attempted the disconnect battery routine again to see if it helped and it didn't, exact same thing reoccurs, and car will not start.

The car was towed to the Ford dealer and I was given a $175 starting estimate diagnostic fee. Later that day the dealer informed me the estimate is now $675 for further diagnostics and they required me to buy a Ford battery before they begin.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2013 c-max Energi

VIN Number: 1FADP5CU0DL537888

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,186 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:14 AM

Can you check the 12v battery voltage and also check to see if its charging when the car is plugged in or powered on if it could power on?

A battery is a battery if its good a good charge in it then the car is not going to be able to tell if its a Ford one or some other brand.

Can you plug into the ODB connector and check the fault codes?

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:39 AM

Personally I would have tried the fuse pulls(though that shouldn't have mattered if the battery was well and truly dead and/or you disconnected it) and probably seen if the SYNC update could be re-applied before visiting the dealer.

At this point it sounds like you're at a lousy dealer(as most of them seem to be), so your options are probably to a) keep dealing with this lousy dealer or b) try a different dealer and hope it's less lousy.

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:11 AM

Just a guess but I'm thinking the 12v charging system is suspect and when the voltage gets low you get all the errors and no-starts.  Keep us posted.

#5 OFFLINE   meenergy

meenergy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:05 AM

Can you check the 12v battery voltage and also check to see if its charging when the car is plugged in or powered on if it could power on?

A battery is a battery if its good a good charge in it then the car is not going to be able to tell if its a Ford one or some other brand.

Can you plug into the ODB connector and check the fault codes?

-=>Raja.

Prior to replacing the first battery with the new Odyssey battery, while the car was plugged into the EV charger the battery voltage would jump up to 14+/- volts which shows it was charging that's why I went ahead and replaced the battery, I then comfermed the new battery was also charging after instalation. I was not able to check diognostic codes as my Elm reader would not function for some reason probably faulty. As for the dealership telling me it had to be a Ford battery or they wouldn't proceed with diognostic I guess my hands are tied without options so I authorised the replacement and figured I would deal with that issue after we figure out what's wrong.

#6 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 547 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

Be sure you ask for your nice Odyssey battery back! It’s most likely still good! Hoping it’s not too expensive....

#7 OFFLINE   meenergy

meenergy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

Update: my car has been at the ford dealership 3 weeks now and they still can't figure out what is wrong. I am beginning to think my next move is to pay the ransom money they will charge me for what they have done so far and just have it towed home.

I am putting together a laptop computer with vxdiag-nano adapter, and trying to find the free or low cost ford ids software to run on it.

And with the help I might find here on this forum try to fix it myself.

#8 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:31 AM

So let me ask a few things hopefully for some clarification:

At this time after all this has gone on, do all the warnings listed above still exist? Have you had a chance to read them yourself via OBD reader and possibly try to clear them and see if they return? Also having these specific codes listed here if you get them would be beneficial.

Have you also attempted the requisite fuse pull for the Sync system when the car is running to see if it changes anything? Does it still do the black screen cycle with the servicesd.exe error message?

Have you also had a chance to properly test your new battery to make sure it is in good shape? Preferably outside of the vehicle without any surface charge or 'wake up' loads from the car.

My first thought regarding the error messages is likely that is just latent false errors from the earlier battery issues. It's common to see if various computer modules don't boot up correctly or out of sequence or just in any way not expected. Hence getting a confirmed healthy battery and clearing any stored codes is a good idea to start with on this end.

With Sync I'd definitely try the options recommended above. Namely do the fuse pull and see if it boots up properly. If you can get it running, try to get it updated to either 3.8 or 3.10 and see if it helps. If you continue to get the same boot loop and error message, you are most likely looking at a new APIM. Check if you still have the 12M02 warranty intact. I think they have been expiring recently but if it is still there this should cover it at no cost to you. To add on to that if it still continues, in the meantime you can pull the requisite fuses for Sync and leave it out if you don't mind being without audio/bluetooth/nav/MyFordMobile/etc.. It should have no effect on any other systems in the car or driveability leaving it dead. What it will potentially help with is battery drain concerns especially in this state as it is likely still boot looping while the rest of the car is dead and drawing the battery down needlessly while doing so.

With all that said as a final note just to be clear is the error codes/warning lights and the Sync issue are not going to be directly related to one another. The only potential relation is the issue with Sync causing a battery drain and the resultant low battery charge can cause various computer modules to act weird. So first and foremost I'd verify you have a good healthy battery to work with. If Sync is still acting up, pull the fuses for it so there at least won't be any drain there. Then clear all codes if you can and drive the car and see if that end clears up. And if any do come back, read the codes and post them here.

As for the dealership side of things, first thing I'm always going to ask is this: Is this an EV certified Ford dealer? You can use Ford's own dealer search tool to see if there are any in your area: https://www.ford.com/dealerships/. I highly recommend using EV certified dealers only as I still see reports here and elsewhere of non-EV certified dealers having poor diagnostic skills when it comes to these vehicles even if it has nothing to do with the drivetrain.

#9 OFFLINE   meenergy

meenergy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:26 PM

cr08, Thank you, you were 100% right! The dealer cleared the fault codes and the car started ok, found the APIM was bad and replaced it.
$1447.00 total. The APIM was no longer under warranty.

I have learned my lesson and purchased the VXDIAG-NANO and will do all future diognostics and repairs myself!

Thank you everyone who helped me with suggestions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·