Rather exciting news (to me) it seems that Ford is recognizing the defective Home Charging units (Ford EVSE). Seems this recall notice just came out 2 days ago, but it's only in a "recognized" status with no remedy yet. I've always been worried of this EVSE burning my house down, as it has melted 3 outlets and it is frequently at half-molten hot. Here is what is posted on the Ford site:
- Recall Date: AUG 20, 2018
- Recall Title: CONVENIENCE CHARGE CORD REPLACEMENT
- NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING#
- Ford Recall Number: 18S24
- Recall Description: FORD IDENTIFIED AN ELEVATED RATE OF ALLEGATIONS OF MELTING AND FIRE INVOLVING THE 120V CONVENIENCE CHARGE CORD THAT DID NOT INCLUDE A THERMISTOR.
- Risk to Safety: AN ELECTRICAL INTERFACE WITH INCREASED CONTACT RESISTANCE BETWEEN THE SUBJECT 120V CONVENIENCE CHARGE CORD PLUG AND WALL OUTLET CAN RESULT IN INCREASED TEMPERATURE AND POTENTIALLY LEAD TO A FIRE.
- Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND (1) REMINDED OF THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADEQUATE WALL OUTLETS AND THAT EXTENSION CORDS SHOULD NOT BE USED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE AND (2) INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD DEALER TO HAVE THE FACTORY EQUIPPED 120V CONVENIENCE CHARGE CORD REPLACED WITH THE LATEST VERSION OF THE 120V CONVENIENCE CHARGE COD THAT INCLUDES A THERMISTOR. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE.
- Status: 12 - RECALL INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE.
- Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.