Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ford recalls 50,000 EV charging cables

recall

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

"Ford has issued a recall for approximately 50,000 EV charging cables. The cables were shipped with the Focus Electric EV, as well as the Fusion Energi and C-Max Energi plug-in hybrids. The vehicles carry build dates ranging from September 2011 to March 2015.

The problem isn't with the cars, but with the cable. According to Ford, if the 120-volt convenience charging cord is plugged into an AC outlet that's worn or damaged, or isn't on a dedicated circuit, it could increase the temperature at the wall outlet. If the temperature gets too high, it could lead to a fire. Ford says it's aware of "some" fire reports, but didn't say exactly how many.

Owners of affected vehicles will be notified via first-class mail. The notification will contain a reminder about the kind of wall outlets that can support EV charging, in addition to a reminder to never use extension cords in conjunction with charging cables.

Remedying the issue is about as straightforward as it gets. A quick trip to the dealer will earn affected owners a new cable. This new cable will contain a thermistor, which is capable of identifying when the temperature gets too high, and it will pause charging until it cools to a safe level."

https://www.cnet.com...g-cable-recall/

CNBC story said there have been four fires.  A dedicated circuit means the outlet wiring goes directly to the breaker box with no other outlets, etc. on it.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 22 August 2018 - 09:09 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I checked the ETIS site and found the recall includes my C-Max. My cord was replaced about three years ago so I am thinking that my replacement cord is included as well.

18S24 - CONVENIENCE CHARGE CORD REPLACEMENT

Tom

#3 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I checked the ETIS site and found the recall includes my C-Max. My cord was replaced about three years ago so I am thinking that my replacement cord is included as well.

18S24 - CONVENIENCE CHARGE CORD REPLACEMENT

Tom

Just happened to be watching CNBC when it was announced.  Likely the replacement you got didn't have the thermistor in it - an improvement they likely just figured out when the fires started.  My cable has always run hot, and I believe there were a few threads on the issue over the years.

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:56 AM

I thought this should have come a long time ago.  I use an extension all the time with mine, it does get hot and the extension prevents the charger plug from burning the outlet.  Usually the part that gets hot is the charger plug itself, not the extension plug that is plugged into the wall.  I keep cleaning the contacts on the charger's plug prongs with a dremel tool and that keeps the temp down when charging and also I charge in segments which helps limit the temp rise.

So looks like I should be able to go get that charger replaced, it did melt the plug a little bit some time ago and I mixed some epoxy and filled it in (around one of the prongs) and its been working OK but I am always watching its temp like a hawk and trying to make sure it doesn't heat up too much.  

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:09 PM

A quick 3 hour round trip to the dealer? What could be easier.

#6 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

Glad to see this. Never any issues with my charger as it was on a dedicated circuit. I have switched over to a 220v charger though, so the Ford charger only gets used when we travel.

#7 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:55 PM

A quick 3 hour round trip to the dealer? What could be easier.

Two trips, because they won't have one available when you go!

#8 OFFLINE   S70Pilot

S70Pilot

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford CMax Energi

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:17 AM

Actually I didn't use an extension cord but the plug and the wall socket burned around a year ago (car bought in 2014).   I later on cut the wire and changed the plug and changed to a more expensive wall socket and now it is less hot. 

Thinking back, I should have reported it as it could easily caught fire the way it burned.

#9 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:32 AM

I checked and mine is part of the recall, interesting to count the number of EVs sold seems like most all of them?

I built an extension cord using solid #12 wire that I have stapled in my garage it runs about 20' I used good quality plugs on both ends and have not really had an issue the outlet does get warm though.

#10 OFFLINE   stewie316

stewie316

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi Hybrid

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:53 AM

This is my setup and i haven't had any problems in rain, snow, hot or cold weather.  No signs of any burns on any of the plug ends or melting rubber.  I hope the lead length to plug it in is extended because otherwise i'd just do the same setup.  I do have a heavy duty outdoor extension cord.  Any discoloring on the actual outlet hasn't changed and was done by previous owner.

20180823_123434.jpg

20180823_123421.jpg

20180823_123347.jpg

20180823_123319.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 304 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:00 PM

I thought this should have come a long time ago. I use an extension all the time with mine, it does get hot and the extension prevents the charger plug from burning the outlet. Usually the part that gets hot is the charger plug itself, not the extension plug that is plugged into the wall. I keep cleaning the contacts on the charger's plug prongs with a dremel tool and that keeps the temp down when charging and also I charge in segments which helps limit the temp rise.

So looks like I should be able to go get that charger replaced, it did melt the plug a little bit some time ago and I mixed some epoxy and filled it in (around one of the prongs) and its been working OK but I am always watching its temp like a hawk and trying to make sure it doesn't heat up too much.

-=>Raja.

You crack me up. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone who pays so much attention to the charging and temps etc. I think it’s sad that ford chose to air cool the batteries and that one even has to think half as much as you do just to charge a car. And mixing epoxy to fix an outlet? You know you can get a new outlet at Home Depot for just a couple dollars. 🤣🤣🤣

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:10 PM

I put epoxy on the stock charger plug seen above in the picture.  One of the flat blades got hot and melted loose from the plug, it was wobbling in there. Epoxy filled the gap nicely and its been working well ever since :)  I think I will go get it replaced next time I get a chance to do it, but I'm still using it as of this moment right now my car is charging outside with an extension cord, I'm on the road and on the way to Virginia tomorrow.  58.5 mpg franklin to Rye, NY with one charge on the first leg.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 24 September 2018 - 08:13 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   rhea

rhea

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOkeechobee, FL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:09 AM

I'm really glad to see this recall. We've had the issue--more in a new manufactured house than in our permanent residence. At home, we installed a heavy-duty outdoor receptacle on a circuit that has very little running off of it. Both plug and receptacle have burn marks. We never charge at night because, frankly, we didn't want the charger stolen (and daytime charging works for us). We were charging the car at the new place, and I asked DH to disconnect before going to bed. He discovered a device that was literally too hot to handle. We thought, at the time, that maybe the outlet was the issue but since have run other devices from it with no issues. Unfortunately, we have to wait until next year to get the new charger (according to the letter from Ford). When we do get it, we will replace the outlet at our permanent residence and, hopefully, have no more issues. 

#14 OFFLINE   Ely94

Ely94

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c max energi

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:07 AM

Mine has done this since it was new. 2013 purchased in 2014. I has nothing to do with outlets. That is just fords BS. I use mine m-f at work since I bought the car. Brand new GFI outlet, dedicated circuit, still overheats, and doesnt kick the GFI. The outlet has been replaced multiple time. Dealer wouldn't do anything till the cord quit working. 

I'm with Rhea, I'm glad to see this recall.

Ps

I love my Cmax

#15 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:11 AM

Funny  I have had zero issue with mine.  I think it may have to do with the gauge of the wire and the quality of the outlet.  I have the thermal imager that connects to your phone from FLIR

https://www.amazon.c... camera android

I noticed that cheaper plugs did get a lot warmer than quality ones and usually you want to use the screw connector vs the push in for the wiring..

613DB97oCLL._SL1345_.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·