Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Buying a lemon law 2014 C-Max Energi?

lemon law c-max ford 2014 energi

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dchmielewski09

Dchmielewski09

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWisconsin
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Jeep

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

Hello!

I am interested in purchasing a 2014 Ford C-Max Energi with 60,000 miles.  The dealer is listing it at $9,999, and after test driving it today, it turns out Ford bought the car back from its original owner due to the lemon law (California).

First off- the car drives great and I don't notice any problems.  Through checking the paperwork that the dealership gave me, when the car was originally purchased in 2014 there were two documented problems of the car not starting and of a "loud noise".  The dealership replaced the battery and retested everything and the car passed.

In 2015, the back up camera wasn't working and it was replaced. The car also had to be jump started, again (third time).  The dealership lists that they reprogramed the modules and performed a wire inspective, which passed  The dealership fixed the standard recalled areas of the car in 2017 and at the end of 2017, the paperwork shows that the vehicle was not starting due to "no crank."  The exact problem listed is "start/run/move starting no crank OTHER" and for repairs, it says, "performed battery test, battery passed.  Checked for TSB & SSM, none found.  NPF."

The dealership is adamant that Ford fixed all issues but according to the paperwork, it doesn't seem so.  There is a 12,000 mile/1 year warrant through Ford due to the Lemon law.

Do you guys- as C-max experts- believe this is a good deal for the car or should I keep looking?  Assuming everything continues working, I think the price is fantastic.  But I also don't want this problem to continue occurring.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.  THANK you!   

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:27 PM

Make sure that the original unique hybrid components warranty is still active (perhaps lemon buyback voids it).  Also, I'd ask to keep the car for a couple of days on loan and run HVB test to estimate lost HVB capacity.  The no srart / crank is a 12V battery system issue where the voltage is not sufficient to power up the control modules. The underlying cause could still be present even though there were several TSBs issued that should have corrected it. All that is generally needed is a 12V battery jump start pack to power up the modules including the DC-DC converter to charge up the 12V battery.

(4) Your vehicle’s unique hybrid / electric components are covered during the Hybrid / Electric Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. • The following hybrid parts are covered during this extended coverage period: high-voltage battery, hybrid continuously variable transmission, Inverter System Controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, high-voltage battery connector, battery pack fan assembly, thermistor probe, Hybrid Battery Pack Sensor Module (HBPSM), Battery Energy Control Module (BECM), and the PHEV onboard charger. • The following Focus Electric unique parts are covered during this extended coverage period: high-voltage battery packs, high voltage charger, DC/DC convertor, Electric Drive Module Assembly (includes electric motor and gearbox), trans range and charge cord. Note: Lithium-Ion Battery Gradual Capacity Loss The Lithium-ion battery (EV battery) will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use (similar to all lithium-ion batteries), which is considered normal wear and tear. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity loss is NOT covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See your Owner’s Manual for important tips on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Lithium-ion battery.

#3 OFFLINE   Dchmielewski09

Dchmielewski09

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for the reply! I just tried a HVB test and it was 4.2 kWh. Is this something I should be concerned about? I will charge tonight and try again tomorrow.

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:18 PM

Ideally you want at least 5.2kwh per charge.  4.2 is low, original capacity is around 5.6 so 4.2 is a 25% loss in capacity/range.

-=>Raja.

• Dchmielewski09 likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Dchmielewski09

Dchmielewski09

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the reply Raja. Is this something I should bring up to the dealer to see if Ford will replace it under the warranty?

#6 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for the reply! I just tried a HVB test and it was 4.2 kWh. Is this something I should be concerned about? I will charge tonight and try again tomorrow.

If the 4.2 is correct (loss of 1.4 kWh of usable capacity), the HVB likely has a storage capacity of 6.3 - 6.5 kWh based on INL's testing of 8 Energi vehicles. Looking at the attachments in this post,  6.4 kWh is below the average of the 8 vehicles at 60k miles. The curve shows one should expect around 7.4 kWh of storage not 6.4.

Although the price is good, a good portion of the benefit of the HVB range and thus economy is lost.

Edited by plus 3 golfer, 18 August 2018 - 06:19 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Dchmielewski09

Dchmielewski09

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:18 AM

There’s seems to be too many red flags for this car, despite the price...

#8 OFFLINE   Dchmielewski09

Dchmielewski09

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! Decided to keep on looking, although it was a hard decision.

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:44 AM

Find a car with a better battery, that's most important.  One from a colder climate, forget about Southern cars from hot places.

-=>Raja.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lemon law, c-max, ford, 2014, energi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·