Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

110v Outlet Use While Camping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Arrival

Arrival

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi 303A w/pano

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:51 PM

I'm going camping soon in my 2014 C-Max Energi.   I have sleep apnea and use a cpap machine to sleep and it is hard to camp with it, batteries etc.   I came across this posing on someone's blogspot and I was wondering what you folks think.  He had a friend with a such a machine, and he did this:

"My only option to help my friend last night was to run an extension cord to the 110v plug. In a traditional vehicle this would be concerning, because it meant the vehicle needed to run overnight. Noxious emissions aside, the real concerns one has in doing this is the immense waste of fuel, the noise, and the need to leave the keys in an unoccupied car. But the C-Max Energi eliminates all of these concerns.
I turned off the air and the headlights, dimmed the dome lights, and push button started my C-Max. I walked away, key in hand, and locked the doors. With only the warning double honk to notify me that my car was still actually "on", we settled in for the night. With my friend's cpap machine plugged in and running, my car happily kept him breathing all night, silently running almost the entire time off the 8.5kwh lithium ion battery. With the energy draw so minimal, about every 20-30 minutes my car purred to life using a sip of my remaining 375 miles range of gasoline to charge the hybrid battery to a satisfactory level, and back to sleep it went. When I woke with the sun this morning, I found overnight my car had only used approximately 13 miles of gasoline range, to keep my friend breathing through the night."

We will be car camping in a state park.   Any thoughts?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:15 PM

I would look at something like this would need to test to see how long it lasted and the actual draw of the cpap vs actual battery capacity.

https://www.amazon.c...310892395&psc=1

8121LWznVcL._SL1500_.jpg

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:51 AM

I would *think* it should work just fine as the post above describes plugged into the C-Max while "on".  However, there are frequently little Gotcha's, seemingly more than usual with Ford that don't show up until you try it.  

Specifically, I thought I read something in the manual about some sort of shut off after a period of time if it thinks you forgot and just left the car "on".  However, if someone else has already done it then perhaps that's just one of those errors in the manual, or there's one specific as to why it does or doesn't work.

#4 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 217 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:47 AM

I know in later model years there was an added option that can be toggled on the left side display on the dash for auto engine idle shutoff which will shut down the car if left running in park for something like 30 minutes. I don't know if this exists as a 'hidden' feature in earlier models. I know it doesn't exist as a visible option on my 2013.

As for that portable power pack, I sadly don't think it'd last the full night. Based on a quick search it seems most CPAP's run between 30-60 watts. Based on the watthour rating on that battery, even giving it the best case of 30 watts and a fictional 100% efficiency, that puts it at around 5.1 hours maximum runtime.

You could certainly get a rough calculation on runtime for other battery packs, just need a watt-hour or amp-hour rating of said battery which will be its capacity and also the wattage of the CPAP machine. After that it is simple math. In the case of my calculation above and the posted battery pack, it claims 155 watt-hours. That means it can last 1 hour at 155 watts of solid usage. 155 wh / 30 watts = 5.1 hours. 155wh / 60 watts = 2.58 hours.

Calculating for the C-Max is a little tougher since you have all the other systems running that you have to take in to account. However with an OBD dongle you can get accurate readings from the car as to how much amperage is being pulled out of the battery at any time and get some rough calculations based off that. I imagine with a fully charged battery you could probably get away with letting it go for a full night. Hybrid mode as mentioned in the anecdote above, likely less so especially if it is at a low SOC already. A small caveat is if sitting parked and idling with no significant loads, when the engine starts to charge it is only going to put in a small amount of charge so while the engine runtime each cycle will be short, it would also be starting more often.

#5 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:26 AM

Was the EV batt charged before plugging this in? Surprised the gas engine had to start at all unless it was already down to Hybrid mode...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·