Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

air-filters-engine-and-cabin

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

2017 titanium energi.

After ~1.5 years, got to changing oil, oil filter, and both air filters.  Interestingly, one online video showing the removal of the glovebox and the side panel is excessive and unnecessary for the cabin air filter.

1.  Oil filter:  not much room here and mine was a bear to remove, but finally broke it free.  I have 4 different oil filter socket wrenches and none fit it properly; one kinda fits but spins under torque.  Anyone know a good oil filter wrench that fits the FL910S filter well?  

2.  Oil filter drain plug - interesting that the Cmax oil drain plug seems to bottom out, basically preventing over-torquing as it seems to seat perfectly against the oil drain pan housing. 

3.  Cabin air filter:  While you do need some yoga maneuvering, the cabin filter is accessible by removing only two items:  the fabric cover beneath the glovebox and the plastic filter housing cover (mine had no retaining screw, but I suspect most come with a single cover screw).  Patience is a must.  

4.  Engine air filter:  relatively easy, but the most tedious engine filter I've replaced yet; even dropped a bolt within the engine bay that I was fortunate to find using a telescoping magnet.  Removing air induction hoses and no fewer than 13 bolts/clips is a little ridiculous, but doable.  Almost looks like there might be enough room to simply unscrew the 5 main filter housing screws, but the rear one may not have clearance (although I might try that way next year, but...might simply be easier to remove all the same parts since it's only a once-per-year project). 

Anyone know what their dealer charges for changing the two air filters?    

Greg 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

I did my engine air filter yesterday for the first time.  Yes, lot's of screws, but with an electric screwdriver it only takes a few minutes.

Did your engine air filter plastic cover have a weird piece of fabric like material inside it?  Almost looked like an activated carbon aquarium pump filter but it's not actually filtering the air stream as it's off to the side of the air flow.  It did not appear to be replaceable so I wonder what it's for?

Edited by MaxLB, 22 July 2018 - 02:15 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:21 PM

I did my engine air filter yesterday for the first time.  Yes, lot's of screws, but with an electric screwdriver it only takes a few minutes.

Did your engine air filter plastic cover have a weird piece of fabric like material inside it?  Almost looked like an activated carbon aquarium pump filter but it's not actually filtering the air stream as it's off to the side of the air flow.  It did not appear to be replaceable so I wonder what it's for?

Yes, mine has the odd, small, white "carbon" filter that looks like it too should be replaceable but the holds are more like rivets.  Will do some research...

Greg 

#4 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

Yes, mine has the odd, small, white "carbon" filter that looks like it too should be replaceable but the holds are more like rivets.  Will do some research...

Greg 

From past car experience if that is "downstream" from the air filtration (i.e. closer to the engine?), it's a charcoal filter used to trap gasoline vapors that remain in the intake system after engine shutdown.  The carbon is supposed to trap the fuel vapors from leaving the air induction system for emissions control purposes.  It's usually riveted into the air cleaner housing somehow.

#5 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:20 PM

From past car experience if that is "downstream" from the air filtration (i.e. closer to the engine?), it's a charcoal filter used to trap gasoline vapors that remain in the intake system after engine shutdown.  The carbon is supposed to trap the fuel vapors from leaving the air induction system for emissions control purposes.  It's usually riveted into the air cleaner housing somehow.

yes, it is downstream of the filter element, so that makes sense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·