Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

performance wheels and tires for my Cmax!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RubyRedCmax

RubyRedCmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSilicon Valley
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

I was tired of squealing the stock Michelin eco tires every time I started from a stop, or making a turn, or on an on-ramp or off-ramp.  The combined gas/electric 188hp is more than my Acura Integra GS-R from 20 years ago, so why not have some fun!?  With some 4th of July deals at DiscountTireDirect, I finally pulled the trigger on new wheels and tires for my Cmax!

Our stock wheels are 17x8; I wanted to go one step larger and wider, and ended up with bronze Konig 18x8.5 Hypergrams, which weigh 17.8 pounds each (according to Konig).  For tires, I wanted Max Performance tires; on an 8.5" width rim, 245-40-18 is recommended (stock tires are 225-50-17).  Went with Pirelli Pzero Nero GT, which is ranked #4 in TireRack's Max Performance ratings.

When swapping the wheels last night, I weighed the wheel/tire combo:  The stock wheel/tire was 39 pounds, while the new wheel/tire was 34 pounds.  So lower weight, wider tire, more grip.

Initial impressions:  the new tires are louder, but no more squealing/more grip.  Really fun to drive!

I will report back on any changes in all-electric distance; I am currently at 18 miles on a full battery (according to the readout).

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 547 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:12 PM

Nice choice.  Any pictures to share?

#3 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:37 AM

I was wondering what tire pressure you were using with the Michelin's. :headscratch:  I really don't have squealing problems at 50 psi. Maybe when new the tires would be prone to that with more tread.

Paul

#4 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

Need Picts!!!!!

#5 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

I was wondering what tire pressure you were using with the Michelin's. :headscratch:  I really don't have squealing problems at 50 psi. Maybe when new the tires would be prone to that with more tread.

Paul

I honestly can't believe that someone could claim this.  My wife pretty much refuses to drive or even ride in my car because the stock tires are a joke.  They squeal like a stuck pig at every stop sign/light.  People nearby think I've run over a cat as I accelerate away because there's this loud scream as I cross every white limit line driving around my neighborhood.  The sooner I can get rid of these horrible Michelin's the better.  But since the Cali green sticker run out at the end of 2018 I might just trade the car for something better; like an I-Pace.  :smile2:

#6 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,186 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:43 PM

Wait a minute....HOW are you squealing the tires at ever stop sign?  Can take a picture of your driving coach and post it?  Is it yellow for acceleration and braking?

-=>Raja.

#7 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

I honestly can't believe that someone could claim this.  My wife pretty much refuses to drive or even ride in my car because the stock tires are a joke.  They squeal like a stuck pig at every stop sign/light.  People nearby think I've run over a cat as I accelerate away because there's this loud scream as I cross every white limit line driving around my neighborhood.  The sooner I can get rid of these horrible Michelin's the better.  But since the Cali green sticker run out at the end of 2018 I might just trade the car for something better; like an I-Pace.  :smile2:

You still didn't say what pressure you are using on the Michelin's. :headscratch:  Strange that no one else has complained about this, maybe your tire pressure is to low.  Yesterday I almost missed my turn going 45 mph and had to slam on the brakes and yank the wheel which put me into a 4 wheel slide job and still there was very little noise from the tires.  This doesn't happen very often but my brain was working on auto mode going home and at the last second I realized my normal route the road was torn up and need to take an alternate route at the last second. :drop: Is this a Great Car or what. :smile2:

Paul 

Edited by ptjones, 19 July 2018 - 09:20 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

Plus-sizing the C-Max's tires is something I would never do, but I applaud you for daring any mods at all. My stock wheels and tires are the same  diameter and profile as my old Mk. V GTI's, and nobody ever complained about that car's handling. Plenty of folks wanted more, though, and went to 18s, or beyond.

I'd be a lot more interested in handling improvements if there was a sportier seat available for the C-Max. On the typical on-ramp, I'm sliding out of the seat before the stores start to sing. I'd be happy to hear that Ford ST seats or suspension parts would interchange with our parts. Does anybody know?

#9 OFFLINE   RubyRedCmax

RubyRedCmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:00 PM

Glad folks are enjoying this conversation, and that I'm not the only one tired  :wink:  of the squealing tires!  

I picked up my Cmax on 1/1/18, and the dealer nitrogen-filled the tires.  I considered this larding the purchase price...  but it was nice not to even think about tire psi; I never even checked....  until now.  The stock wheels/tires are stacked in my house, and the top two are both at 35.0 psi.

For the Pirellis, I somewhat randomly selected 37.0 psi, as my wheel/tire mounter filled only to about 25psi.  I was in a rush out the door, and 37.0 psi is where I stopped filling the first tire, so 37.0 psi became my target!   :smile2:

Let me read up about how to post photos here....  I understand the desire to see photos!

#10 OFFLINE   RubyRedCmax

RubyRedCmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

First attempt at photos....  Attaching files seems to be the straightforward way.

In case this works:

- first photo is with a second Ruby Red 2017 Cmax Energi!  So you can immediately compare the two wheels.
- second photo is rear driver-side wheel

- third photo is front driver-side wheel

Wheel is 0.5" wider, with a 43mm offset....  so presumably that means the wheel rim is sticking out 0.5" further than the stock wheel.  I detect no rubbing issues front or rear.

Attached Files

#11 OFFLINE   RubyRedCmax

RubyRedCmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:18 PM

Oh, and a second set of initial impressions.  Wow, what a fun vehicle to drive!  No signs of understeer, no squealing....  which means I can push the tires farther!   :thumbsup:

I suppose I could have gotten here just by replacing the stock Michelins with 225-50-17 performance tires....  but I figured it doesn't hurt to have a set of winter wheels, and I wanted to go slightly larger wheel for better turn-in feel.

#12 OFFLINE   RubyRedCmax

RubyRedCmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

Photo of Driving Coach, and other related screens.  I keep it on the Fuel History screen, to verify I am all-electric and at max mpg.

Attached Files

#13 OFFLINE   RubyRedCmax

RubyRedCmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

Three other comments (one actually on-topic):

1) Besides being #4 on TireRack's Max Performance Summer ranking, the Pirelli P Zero Nero GT is also the second-lowest-priced tire on the 245-40-18 list.  Fewer selections in the stock 225-50-17 size, but Pirellis are there, too.  First time buying Italian tires...  surprising, because the first thing that comes to mind when people say Italy is tires, right?   :lol:

2) Regarding seats, you might want to try the locking clip trick.  You can use it to keep the lap portion of your belt nice and tight.

3) Cali went to red stickers, which you can see in my photos; all the old colors are phasing out. [IIRC, white/green are still good, and yellow are history.]  Yes, the carpool stickers expire every year....  but the state assembly keeps extending the program every year, so no need to get an all-electric vehicle until the red stickers go away!   :smile2:

Attached Files

#14 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

3) Cali went to red stickers, which you can see in my photos; all the old colors are phasing out. [IIRC, white/green are still good, and yellow are history.]  Yes, the carpool stickers expire every year....  but the state assembly keeps extending the program every year, so no need to get an all-electric vehicle until the red stickers go away!   :smile2:

The red stickers expire at the same time the green and white ones do, January 2019.

#15 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

2) Regarding seats, you might want to try the locking clip trick.  You can use it to keep the lap portion of your belt nice and tight.

You don't need to bother with that.   What we do at track days is the following:

Set your seat where you want it.

Get the seatbelt as tight as you can by taking out the slack.

Move your seat back about two inches.

Jerk the belt quickly to lock it in place and hold it there with your hand.

Move your seat forward so that your body moves into the tightened belt.

When you get this right your seat is where you want it and your belt is holding you tightly and locked in place.

#16 OFFLINE   RubyRedCmax

RubyRedCmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:54 AM

The red stickers expire at the same time the green and white ones do, January 2019.

Attached File  20180902_125350.jpg   80.93KB   1 downloads

Edited by RubyRedCmax, 02 September 2018 - 11:55 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:45 AM

Glad folks are enjoying this conversation, and that I'm not the only one tired  :wink:  of the squealing tires!  

I picked up my Cmax on 1/1/18, and the dealer nitrogen-filled the tires.  I considered this larding the purchase price...  but it was nice not to even think about tire psi; I never even checked....  until now.  The stock wheels/tires are stacked in my house, and the top two are both at 35.0 psi.

For the Pirellis, I somewhat randomly selected 37.0 psi, as my wheel/tire mounter filled only to about 25psi.  I was in a rush out the door, and 37.0 psi is where I stopped filling the first tire, so 37.0 psi became my target!   :smile2:

Let me read up about how to post photos here....  I understand the desire to see photos!

35psi?  Isn't the Ford specification at 38psi?  Many of the readers run their tires in the 40psi range without issue.

#18 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

Many run them at 50 psi like me and I have 78k miles on mine. :smile2:

Paul

#19 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 09 September 2018 - 05:01 AM

I'm glad to see they finally cleared up that discrepancy in the dates.  It made no sense to have a new color if they were all going to expire at the same time!

#20 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

if you got a green/white sticker in 2017 or early 2018, you get a replacement red. New ones in 2018 (either EV/PHEV or H2) get red.   My understanding though is 2019 purchases get 4 years, so there will be some confusion in 2022 as to whether a red is expiring at the beginning or end of the year - or they may all stop in 2022?? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·