Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

what have you had to do?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joey

joey

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Dieego
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 CBR250R

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:26 AM

I'm seriously considering a certified 2016 Energi to replace my 2013 Fit which was in an accident.  I test drove one and it was nice to drive, more comfortable than the Fit, and had better A/C.  (Not the Fit's strong point.)

My one concern is that over the nearly five years I had the Fit, it had the famous airbag recall, a set of tires, and front brake pads.  That's it - not so much as a check engine light, a burned out light bulb, or a broken trim piece.  Is the c-max likely to be as good?  (Modulo it starting out with ~25k more miles on it than the Fit, which was new) . The best data I have to go on is Consumer Reports, and they rate all but the first two years of the C-max as above average, but I'm wondering for those of you who have had them for a while - what have you had to do?  Little things, big things, etc.  Anything stand out?  The other car I'm looking at seriously is a CT200h, which seem pretty reliable across the board.  The Lexus seemed nicer inside, but I liked sitting a little higher in the CMax.

My commute should be a pretty good use case for it - it's about 24 miles each way, much of which is very hybrid/ev-friendly.  I can charge at home, so I'd probably do most of my morning commute in EV mode.  Unfortunately the charger by my office costs $0.59/kwh so I probably wouldn't charge at work since I think that ends up making it more expensive than gas.  I can live with the cargo space hit, it looks like I can still shove a bicycle in the back with the front wheel off which is all I really ask of it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

I have had my 2013 for a little over 5 years with 50k EV miles out of a total of 71k miles. I had all the recalls done in its early lifecycle and have had few problems.

A new set of OEM set of tires at about 48k miles.

12V battery replaced twice. The current battery has already lasted longer than either of the previous two and seems to be in good condition.

Had to have the GPS recalibrate so that it would track properly on the road. This was not under  warrantee so it cost $65.

Audio sound stops occasionally. About once every few months. Normally just shutting the car off for a little while will allow it to self correct. I have had to pull a fuse once to fix it. This is the most irritating issue I have had. I use bluetooth to my phone all the time i have often wondered it there was a relationship due to the bluetooth interface as it seems to get stuck hunting for the bluetooth. 

Currently I can't communicate to MFM. MFM support said I needed to update the TCU firmware and I have not gotten around to taking the car in to get this addressed.

I have had about 1kWh HVB capacity loss that was likely due to overheating the HVB during the summer of 2015. Since that time I have actively monitored the HVB temp and limited charging and EV usage during hot weather and have had no additional capacity loss. I consider inadequate battery cooling as the biggest design issue for this car.

As a whole I am happy with the car and have learned much over the last 5 years. If making a purchase decision today knowing what I know now I believe I would still buy this car or a used version of the car with it deeply discounted as it is. At the time I bought the car the plan was to keep it for at least 8 years and I am on track to keep on this plan. In a few years there could be a variety of choices that could bee my needs so it will be interesting to research when the time comes.

Tom

#3 OFFLINE   joey

joey

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Dieego
  • Current Vehicle:2012 CBR250R

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:09 PM

Thanks, that's very helpful.

The battery/temperature thing worries me a bit - we have a couple of weeks here in the summer where the daytime temperature hangs up in the 105 degree range, and during those weeks the night temps only get down to about 78-80.  My charging would be at night (I'd switch to a time-of-use electrical rate), and because these are still considered hybrids, CA mandates a 10-year/150k mile warranty on the batteries so maybe it's not as much of a concern here. I know the early Nissan Leaf had lots of trouble in hot weather, but I think newer ones got much better due to the batteries being reformulated.  (Pure-EV batteries get a shorter mandated warranty than hybrids.)

I've been reading up as much as I can, and since I'm looking at a 2016 I think radio/etc. problems (or at least these specific ones) shouldn't be as much of an issue since 2016 and newer have different infotainment hardware and sync 3?

But yeah the price is tough to argue with for a used one - an SEL is comparable to a base model Prius C with the same age/miles.

Thanks again for the info!

#4 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:36 AM

I've had a used 2013 for two years, and as my job has changed to us needing two cars, we're strongly considering buying another. The price to capability ratio is hard to beat, and it's treated us well so far.

#5 OFFLINE   coloplugin

coloplugin

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationLouisville, CO
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

My experience with a 2013 C-MAX Energi is very similar to Tom's above in terms of mileage, issues (pretty much minor, including the audio dropout), etc. Mine is now at 70K with about 38K EV. I've also lost about 1kWh HVB capacity, but now that I've learned how to treat the battery in hot weather (see rbort's excellent tips under Batteries and Charging), the decline appears to have leveled off.

Even though the "trunk" isn't very big, the car actually will carry quite a bit with the back seats down. I have no trouble fitting a bike with the front wheel off, plus a couple of other small bags at the same time.

I actually considered trading my 2013 in for one of the 2017 models, just so I could enjoy the C-MAX a few years more!  It's been a great vehicle overall, and I look forward to more years of mostly trouble-free service.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:23 PM

I actually considered trading my 2013 in for one of the 2017 models, just so I could enjoy the C-MAX a few years more! 

HIGHLY recommended!!  Now that you know how to treat the battery, you probably won't lose nearly as much capacity due to heat and such.  Always think battery is #1, and run he engine if necessary until the weather is not so hot.  It was a 100 degrees today here, I didn't even use my car.  I used it last night to drain the battery, today it sat at 17% charge.  Mine is in the garage but I'm thinking of ways to keep the garage cooler in all this heat...

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:49 AM

So after my good report above, I have a CEL. I'm guessing it's related to the heat. Taking it in today.

#8 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:05 PM

Here's the facts: 2017 C-Max Energi Titanium, 20,000 miles in 14 months, 65.5 MPG (cumulative). Only one factory defect I need to get back and have fixed: One rear seat belt buckle is broken. This car remains quieter & smoother than the older Audis, VWs and SAABs I've owned. Coming out a Fit, you'll think you landed in the lap of a luxury car!

I'm familiar with the earlier version, but I'm so glad I have the post-2016 revision. One big reason is the DISP button on the dash, which turns the screen off when I'm not using it. It stays off 90% of the time, and that helps me pay attention to the road. All cars should do this! And every source I've seen, from CR to truedata.com, reports the later cars to be very reliable, compared tothe 2013s. 

#9 OFFLINE   fredf

fredf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:16 AM

I have a 2013 that I purchased in 2014 it was almost a year old and still new, I have 67K miles on it about 50/50  mileage shows 60 mpg, I am on my third set of tires.  I had a High Voltage Controller go out after a year other than that it has just been oil changes.  I am on my original battery.  I really like the space up front for 2 and my wife is amazed at what I have been able to fit into the car.  My only real issue is that the seats are hard for long trips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·