Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Brakes vs MA inspection?

brakes inspection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 314 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:40 PM

The local garage (generally trustworthy) is trying to tell me that I need to get my rear disks replaced to pass inspection.  I drive in L and use the brakes sparingly, so like other stories here, my disks look bad but work perfectly.

What do I have to tell them to convince the mechanic that I don't need to replace them?  The regulations that I can find seem to be performance-based, not appearance...

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:19 PM

The first question that comes to mind is how much of the pads are left on the rear brakes. Usually the front brakes wear faster than the rear brakes so it is a bit surprising that there would be a problem with the rear brakes before having to service the front brakes. They should be able to tell you what it is about the brake pads that cause them to believe they need to be replaced. If they are actually worn down then there may be some issue that caused that condition to occur that needs to be addressed. Since your driving patterns indicate that you should not be using the brakes much there could be a build up of rust the the local garage is concerned about. 

Without a reason from the garage it is hard to tell what might be going wrong with the brakes of if they are wrong to suggest the brakes need to be replaced.

Tom

#3 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:28 PM

Maybe they are thinking parking brake?

Safety Inspections

1. Visual Overview

• Certificate of registration
  • License plate(s): For more information about the license plate inspection requirements, check the Motorist Resources section.
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

2. Brake Tests

• Parking brake
  • Service brake

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:00 PM

Noway, first Cmax I drove 73k+ miles and the brake pads were still like 11/16 and 5/8th thick or there abouts front and back.  Looked like new and I don't even drive in L, I can feather the brake pedal and only use L when I need max deceleration.

Maybe you need to step on the brake hard a few times going forwards and even better backwards just to wipe the rust off the rotors.

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:51 AM

Yeah, I decelerated in N all yesterday, even choosing the hilly way home. I'll do that again today. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks!

Dennis

PS: boy, did my range suck on that trip!

Edited by stolenmoment, 28 June 2018 - 03:52 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   bobs

bobs

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:59 AM

I actually had chips out of the rear rotors, so I did replace them here in the salt state (NY)

Rbort I would guess your long winter trips helped out a lot.

Bob

#7 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:05 AM

On the parking brake note, mine has suddenly gotten far out of adjustment.  Anyone know where the adjuster is?

#8 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

For the parking brake, mine had seized and worn down one of the brake pads tremendously.

I had to get my rotors replaced for PA safety inspection, according to the local Ford dealer. Probably salt a chips.

#9 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:39 AM

To wrap up the story: I braked in N for another day, and the rotor was hot enough to burn my fingertip, so I *knew* that the pads were grabbing the disc;  I made this case to the mechanic when I had him mount new tires (the old ones were cupped, showing belt, and getting noisy), and he continued to assert that the condition of the discs indicated that the pads were stuck in the calipers.  Ultimately, he awarded me with the sticker, but admonished me to fix the brakes.

I'll choose to believe that I convinced him, but he couldn't admit it...

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:47 AM

Wait a minute Max, if the calipers are getting stuck that's not a good thing.  You need to check for that.  Drive the car around and use the brakes, then check the rims for heat.  Feel the left right and then feel the right rim.  Are they the same temperature or one is hotter than the other?  If you sense what one is hotter, then that caliper is getting stuck and needs to be addressed.

Also visually inspect your pads, they should be the same thickness.  It the issue is recent, they may very well be and that may not tell you much, if the issue has been going on for a while, it may show a difference.

Also beware that if the issue is extreme, that's how you can have a tire blowout on the highway.  The rim gets so hot with speed that the tire explodes, and you can pull over with being startled to say the least, or crash in the worst case, so be careful and make sure they are not getting stuck.

-=>Raja.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, inspection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·