Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Charging, the heat and the cooling part of it all

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,098 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

So today I drove to Natick, it was warmish outside low 80's but the car's battery started out at 85F as it was 85 in my garage.  16.3 miles there and I arrive with the HVB at 89F.  I parked in the basement garage and plugged the car in to charge up on 120v instead of 240v outside in the sun.  Figured should be better.  Rolled the windows down some and put the back seat down.

When I came back to the car after charging it for 2.5 hours and bringing the charge level to 69% the HVB temperature had risen 4 degrees to 93F.  In thinking about it, its probably better than 240v anyways as a) outside in the sun and with 240v making more heat, the temp could have risen even more (didn't try) and b) the HVB would have reached 100% after about an hour and a half and would be sitting fully charged at a higher temperature for another hour, also not good.

So off we go back home I rolled down all the windows to let the heat out of the car and soon enough the HVB fan started up.  I drove 17.7 miles back home and the HVB dropped from 93 back down to 89F and the HVB is at 7% when I got home.

I didn't want to charge it right away but I do need to charge it for tomorrow we leave for Boston at 11am.  So I changed the car to value charge which means it will start at 4am and plugged it in.  The HVB fan started up and I opened the tailgate and put my ear on the inlet vent on the left side and could hear the fan deep down inside and feel the air going in.  Not 15 seconds later the charging circuit fan started right up and was making all the noise at higher speed so I couldn't check the other right inlet to see if its also taking air for the HVB fan.

What I thought was annoying is that when I looked at the SG again the HVB fan stopped running but the charging circuit fan was running.  However, the charging circuit is not charging and I felt the air behind the right rear seat and its cool.  So why in the heck is the charging circuit fan running instead of the HVB fan as my battery is still at 89F but the outside temp now is 71.  It would have been useful to leave the car plugged in from now to cool the HVB while waiting to charge but its not doing it.  Instead the EVSE is using 60 watts to just run the charging circuit fan which isn't needed in the first place.  Doh!

Anyone else see this?

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 19 June 2018 - 05:49 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   epic

epic

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationburnet ,texas
  • Current Vehicle:cmax energI

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:34 PM

how  do you know batterie temp

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,098 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:00 PM

Using scangage.

-=>Raja.

#4 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:54 PM

What version of the scanguage are you using?  I have 3.14 and another one that has version 3.17 and both work fine in my 05 Escape Hybrid.  Both do not work in the CMax.   Are there specific coding numbers that are differenf for the CMax than the Escape for all items?  I could find no information at the scanguage site.

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,098 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:49 PM

You need to upgrade the SG, send it to the company they will upgrade it for you. I have the latest firmware 4.something as of January.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·