Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

New CMAX Energi Owner Introduction

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 CMAX Energi Titainum

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:20 AM

Hello,

My name is Scott and I bought a new CMax Energi at the end of April, 2018, about 6 weeks ago.  I needed a new vehicle and wanted something that gets good highway gas mileage. I ski a lot in New England and my old Honda Pilot only gets about 18 mpg on trips. My company provides free charging for electric vehicle drivers as a perk. I live less than 5 miles from work, so the Energi fit very well for what I was looking for. I have been getting free commuting to work and on the few trips I have taken I got 40-50 mpg. Pretty happy so far with the economics.

I would be interested to learn about using the Energi as a ski vehicle from anyone doing so. Questions I have are which snow tires?, plastic ski box and racks to mount the box, driving the car up in the mtn's and how to get reasonable mpg while doing so.

I look forward to learning from everyone's experience on this forum.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,261 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:14 AM

:welcome:

And congrats on the new car.  Snow?  What's that?    :headspin:   Sorry can't help with those questions but you should be able to find many threads on snow tires around here and on the hybrid forum.  I have a similar short commute and yes you can go for long periods of time without using gas.

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,151 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

This car isn't the best in snow.  Its got low ground clearance and its quite heavy.  You will have a hard time trying to stop it going down a hill.  I experienced some of that with my 2013 Cmax driving in Cambridge on some hills there during some snow.  The car can go fine if the roads are plowed, but because it has only 5 1/2 inches ground clearance and electric louvers for the grill if you plow through any snow you can damage the grills.  Someone already did that driving through a storm.

Use it every day but leave it behind to go skiing.  Use your other vehicle if you have that choice.  I drive my Ranger 4x4 pickup in snow and once the roads are cleared go back to my Cmax.  Big difference, Ranger has over a foot clearance it can go through 1.5 feet of snow and not even feel it.

-=>Raja.

#4 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:36 AM

The car can be used in the snow and is *acceptable* with real snow tires.  Blizzaks or Nokians are generally about the highest rated.  

That said, even with snow tires it's only OK.  I.e. if you're driving on flat roads with less than 6" of snow you'll probably be ok.  But get a very sizable hill and there's a good chance you'll have some trouble with it.  I live on a hill in upstate NY where I normally go up the hill to work.  But I've gotten in the habit now to where I go around the other direction, down the hill via an alternate route if there's much stuck on the road.  It will generally make it up, but if it's slippery stuff, I'm forced to engage the gas engine, and spin the tires and get the traction control working hard to the point that a normal 20 second trip up the hill takes a couple minutes and the traction control error light comes on.

That said, I'd disagree with Raja's comments on difficulty stopping.  It's a 2 ton car,but so are plenty of other vehicles.  AWD doesn't help you at all in that scenario so between two different 2 ton cars, it will come down to who has the better tires as far as who will stop quicker.

The other issue the C-Max has is that it has automatic radiator shutters, so if you go through stuff with more than 6" of snow where it gets up to the bumper level and then jams up in there and freezes, that can damage some expensive parts.  I've not had that problem for the couple years I've owned mine, but I did hear it one time last year where it got snow in there, froze up and then I could hear the shutters repeatedly clicking trying to open or shut and not able to.  Thankfully mine didn't seem to be damaged and cleared themselves out after some time.  But I've heard reports of others doing worse.

So I'd say around my house I'd take it to the ski slopes because around here there's no more hills to climb than I have to deal with going to work anyway.  But if you're dealing with real mountains it will be a bit more iffy.

• RubyMax likes this

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,151 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:20 AM

The difficulty stopping was for me with the stock Energy saver tires, not Blizzaks...!   :wink:

In my opinion it really isn't the best car in snow, due to everything I stated already.  Much better options out there.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 13 June 2018 - 06:20 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:51 PM

Interesting info, thanks. I will put on very good snow tires, probably Nokians or something similar. I have driven a lot of different vehicles in the snow, since I have lived in New England all my life. Snow tires are the single biggest factor in being able to drive safely in the snow. Everything else comes in second.

The radiator shutters are new for me, I will have to keep a close eye on those. We get a lot of freeze thaw cycles and I have had ice problems with aluminum wheels and with mud flaps on wheel wells. Never had grill issues, but thanks for the tip, this car will be a bit different.

I usually don't drive in deep snow, but tend to drive after storms once the roads are plowed. Snow and ice build up is very real until the roads get bare, so I will pay attention to keeping the car cleaned off. I will be bummed if I can't drive it up North, as the gas savings alone are the biggest reason I bought it. I guess I will drive it through a winter before spending big bucks on racks and ski boxes.

#7 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

Raja,

Just out of coincidence, I grew up in Franklin, FHS class of 78 and I lived on Dean Ave and then Pond St. I still own a house in Bellingham, but I have lived in Gloucester, Ma for a long time. I hardly recognize the town when I drive through. It used to be a lot of farm land and open fields. Its all developed now. 

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,151 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:18 PM

Hi Scott!  Interesting to hear :)  I've been in Franklin since 1993 bought a house there and moved from Watertown.  When I was a kid I lived in Newton before my parents sold the house and moved to a condo in Watertown so as not to have to do the yard work stuff.  Lots has changed in Franklin since I came.  My house is built on a farm that kids used to go mudding in during the wet season.  Due to that the water table is high and my basement used to flood when we got alot of rain.  In 1997 after the 10 inches of rain on June 13th, remember that day?  I put in a french drain and a sump pump and solved that problem.

Going back to your options, if you have the Honda Pilot, why not drive that to the ski area and drive the Cmax most of the other times.  Save the money you don't need to buy snow tires for the Cmax if you wait until the day after a storm.  Use the Honda on snow days.  They plow all the roads well here in New England and you see plow trucks driving around even before it snows indicating its going to snow.  I just drive my Ranger the day of the storm, and drive the Cmax the day after.  Never had a problem with the stock tires, except for the time when I was in Cambridge and it started snowing while I was on the road.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 15 June 2018 - 08:21 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:53 AM

Don't forget if you are trying to go up a hill you can always try backing up.  Going uphill transfers the weight off the front tires backing up does help if you are good backing up.

#10 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:08 PM

The Pilot is a good snow vehicle as long as it has good snow tires. My son will be taking it to  school in Sept., so I won't have it at home. The Pilot  hauls people and gear well, but does not get good gas mileage. I typically do weekend trips where I can easily put on 500 highway miles. The  40 mpg hwy mileage of the Cmax is the  reason I bought it. I put about 8K miles a year on my car and about 1/2 is from ski trips. The Cmax should cut my gas bill by 2/3 or so. I will be disapointed if I can't use it on ski trips.  I don't have a problem avoiding driving through bilizzards with it, as I didn't  do that very often with the Pilot either. A few inches of snow on the roads is pretty common, though. Usually good snow tires make that pretty manageable.  Hills could get interesting, but I will just have to see how it goes.  We have plenty of steep hills around here, so  I won't have to go far to figure it out.

#11 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

Given the low rolling resistance of the OEM tires, which makes them worse on snow than typical all-season radials, I mount snow tires on my C-MAX Energi every winter, and switch back to the OEM tires in the spring. I have Michelin X-Ice Xi3, which I bought back in December 2015 from Tire Rack. Rather than buying separate wheels and tire pressure management system sensors, I have my neighborhood mechanic switch between the two sets on the factory wheels. For Long Island/New Jersey winters, they've been more than adequate. {Jonathan}

• RubyMax and ScottB like this

#12 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:50 AM

Given the low rolling resistance of the OEM tires, which makes them worse on snow than typical all-season radials, I mount snow tires on my C-MAX Energi every winter, and switch back to the OEM tires in the spring. 

Same here. TireRack has many options for a Winter Tire / Wheel package.  I have Blizzaks on steel wheels, so I don't mess with mounting/remounting tires 

#13 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:07 AM

Same here. TireRack has many options for a Winter Tire / Wheel package.  I have Blizzaks on steel wheels, so I don't mess with mounting/remounting tires 

My local mechanic is literally a block and a half away, so it's not much of a hassle for me to have them do the mount/remount twice each year. Either way, I feel like my father every time I deal with actual "snow tires." {Jonathan}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·