Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

HVB cooling fan failure

hvb cooling fan

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:36 PM

Sure it was hot, they don't cool down that quick, ask Tom about it he can tell you how it is in the head.

However, if you're not keeping the car past the end of the year, then it doesn't matter.  All this talk here only matters for the long term people, not the leases and short term folks.

-=>Raja.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

I've been driving around with the cover off in the back exposing the HVB exhaust vent.  When I'm charging if I'm in the car or if its in my garage I open the tailgate to let the heat out.  I can actually charge and lower the car's HVB temp while charging.  I found that using the slowest possible charger helps if trying to do this.  As the battery gets less amps put into it and takes longer charging hence allows the cooling fan to run longer.

I have 3 chargers available to me.

1) 120v 10 amp, charges at 1180w and puts in around 2.8 to 3.1 amps into the battery.

2) 120v 12 amp, charges at 1380w and puts in around 3.5 to 3.8 amps into the battery.

3) 240v on the road, charges at 8.2 to 9.9 amps or there abouts depending on the station.

On the road I use the fast 240v charger.  At home I use the faster 120v charger if I need to charge quicker to go out, and the slower one if I need to take my time or cool the battery for a longer period of time before unplugging it.  (like getting home on empty with a hot battery, plug it in with the slow charger and charge it to 20% and then unplug it to rest).

I'm still under the impression that the battery cools better with the cover off.  Just from feel and experience both ways.

I read you guys want to put other fans to shove some air down the intakes, but do you realize that the HVB cooling fan can run at several speeds? I Slow is 1000 rpms, but as you drive faster and faster I've seen it go up as fast as 2125 rpms IIRC.  What about just running a 12v wire to the fan directly and being able to switch it on yourself any time you need it, rather than wait for it to wait until the temp differential is 7 degrees plus before it kicks in?  Also if you had the "full voltage" I suppose you can run it at max speed all the time.

What are the thoughts about that?

-=>Raja.

I'm not after shoving more air IN but after trying to get the hot air OUT of the car and not back in to the cabin. Hence my request since you guys have already started digging into the car a bit, if you've had any potential theories on how to route the air where it seems to be exiting the battery from and getting it to those louvres to outside of the car. You've agreed yourself at least once this is likely to be the biggest benefit versus just letting it recycle its own heated air inside a sealed cabin. Shoving more air in without redirecting the exhaust air outside of the car is going to do absolutely jack and shit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·