Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

2020 Ford Escape Will Have PHEV Version

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

No surprise here, but Autoblog is reporting that there will in fact be a PHEV version of the 2020 Ford Escape SUV. From Autoblog's article:

One of our spy photographers caught the PHEV crossover out testing, and managed to get a close-up of the fuel filler flap up on the front left fender. It's definitely not for gasoline, since that flap has been seen on the rear left flap, so it must be for electricity.

Here's hoping the Escape PHEV is real and will be a great success, building on the lessons learned from C-MAX Energi (cargo room, Ford! Cargo room!). {Jonathan}

• spirilis likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:01 AM

Not that I put too much stock in it, but my dealer's salesman was hinting at that (along with the hybrid mustang) when I bought my C-Max back in December.  Hope they've learned a lot over the years with the C-Max, Fusion and Focus Electric and incorporate all of that in the next gen of vehicles!

#3 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

Biggest thing they need is a battery that can earn the max tax credit.  Honda PHEV has that and 48 mile range which is what I would hope the Escape can match. Hoping they put the batteries under the floor and where the spare tire goes, so no loss of cargo space and give up the AWD option for now.

• Jonathan Ezor and spirilis like this

#4 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:37 AM

Biggest thing they need is a battery that can earn the max tax credit.  Honda PHEV has that and 48 mile range which is what I would hope the Escape can match. Hoping they put the batteries under the floor and where the spare tire goes, so no loss of cargo space and give up the AWD option for now.

AWD is actually easier when you can use electric motors for at least 2 of the wheels, so it's not an either/or. Our Pacifica Hybrid minivan has a flat, under the 2nd row battery that gives a 32 mile range (big vehicle) and qualified for full Federal tax credit. Give me different EV modes, and AWD on demand, and I'm sold.

#5 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:01 AM

Ford's first PHEV Ford Escape was built in ..2007!   It had a 30 mile electric range..  A fleet of 30 PHEV Ford Escape Hybrid went into the real world for testing via selective electric and energy companies starting in 2009.    It is rumored that former Ford CEO Mark Fields killed/delayed the PHEV program at Ford.    The Ford Escape Hybrid was suppose to be offered again in the multiple hybrid version for 2018 but failed to arrive. 

phevescapehybrid.jpg

A 2009 PHEV Ford Escape Hybrid.  

#6 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

AWD is actually easier when you can use electric motors for at least 2 of the wheels, so it's not an either/or. Our Pacifica Hybrid minivan has a flat, under the 2nd row battery that gives a 32 mile range (big vehicle) and qualified for full Federal tax credit. Give me different EV modes, and AWD on demand, and I'm sold.

Overheating of the rear electric motors is a possibility during heavy usage if you used a second electric motor for the rear wheels.  Has occurred in the Highlander Hybrid which got its design from the Ford Explorer Hybrid (yes that is not a misprint) that never came to the market and its tech was traded to Toyota for what was needed in the Escape Hybrid in 2004/05.  The escape hybrid 4wd system is based upon the JTEkT 4 wheel system  which is a computer controlled 4wheel drive system that some refer to as a sophisticated 2wd hang on system.

Ford4wdintelligentsystem.jpg

Edited by Billyk24, 01 July 2018 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·