Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

2020 Ford Escape Will Have PHEV Version

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

No surprise here, but Autoblog is reporting that there will in fact be a PHEV version of the 2020 Ford Escape SUV. From Autoblog's article:

One of our spy photographers caught the PHEV crossover out testing, and managed to get a close-up of the fuel filler flap up on the front left fender. It's definitely not for gasoline, since that flap has been seen on the rear left flap, so it must be for electricity.

Here's hoping the Escape PHEV is real and will be a great success, building on the lessons learned from C-MAX Energi (cargo room, Ford! Cargo room!). {Jonathan}

• spirilis and Revfiddle like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:01 AM

Not that I put too much stock in it, but my dealer's salesman was hinting at that (along with the hybrid mustang) when I bought my C-Max back in December.  Hope they've learned a lot over the years with the C-Max, Fusion and Focus Electric and incorporate all of that in the next gen of vehicles!

#3 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

Biggest thing they need is a battery that can earn the max tax credit.  Honda PHEV has that and 48 mile range which is what I would hope the Escape can match. Hoping they put the batteries under the floor and where the spare tire goes, so no loss of cargo space and give up the AWD option for now.

• Jonathan Ezor and spirilis like this

#4 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:37 AM

Biggest thing they need is a battery that can earn the max tax credit.  Honda PHEV has that and 48 mile range which is what I would hope the Escape can match. Hoping they put the batteries under the floor and where the spare tire goes, so no loss of cargo space and give up the AWD option for now.

AWD is actually easier when you can use electric motors for at least 2 of the wheels, so it's not an either/or. Our Pacifica Hybrid minivan has a flat, under the 2nd row battery that gives a 32 mile range (big vehicle) and qualified for full Federal tax credit. Give me different EV modes, and AWD on demand, and I'm sold.

#5 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:01 AM

Ford's first PHEV Ford Escape was built in ..2007!   It had a 30 mile electric range..  A fleet of 30 PHEV Ford Escape Hybrid went into the real world for testing via selective electric and energy companies starting in 2009.    It is rumored that former Ford CEO Mark Fields killed/delayed the PHEV program at Ford.    The Ford Escape Hybrid was suppose to be offered again in the multiple hybrid version for 2018 but failed to arrive. 

phevescapehybrid.jpg

A 2009 PHEV Ford Escape Hybrid.  

#6 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationButler, Pa.

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

AWD is actually easier when you can use electric motors for at least 2 of the wheels, so it's not an either/or. Our Pacifica Hybrid minivan has a flat, under the 2nd row battery that gives a 32 mile range (big vehicle) and qualified for full Federal tax credit. Give me different EV modes, and AWD on demand, and I'm sold.

Overheating of the rear electric motors is a possibility during heavy usage if you used a second electric motor for the rear wheels.  Has occurred in the Highlander Hybrid which got its design from the Ford Explorer Hybrid (yes that is not a misprint) that never came to the market and its tech was traded to Toyota for what was needed in the Escape Hybrid in 2004/05.  The escape hybrid 4wd system is based upon the JTEkT 4 wheel system  which is a computer controlled 4wheel drive system that some refer to as a sophisticated 2wd hang on system.

Ford4wdintelligentsystem.jpg

Edited by Billyk24, 01 July 2018 - 11:20 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:09 PM

Saw this on FOX Headlines News: https://www.foxnews....in-hybrid-power  Said available Hybrid this Fall and Plugin Spring with 30 miles EV range.

Paul

#8 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationButler, Pa.

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:28 PM

30 mile range is not good.  Battery pack under the rear seat isn't good either as it should be floor of the unibody frame.    Ford and VW are (maybe?) in talks about using the VW platform (battery pack in the floor of the unibofy frame) for vehicles.   

#9 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:19 AM

Lets hope they engineer better cooling otherwise it is a nonstarter for me. I would also wait until at least the second model year before seriously considering it. The EV range would be better at 40 miles but 30 would not be a deal breaker for my short drive needs. 

Tom

#10 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:37 AM

So from what I've read on a couple articles, here's some key points so far:

• Liquid cooled battery pack for both HEV and PHEV much like the Explorer hybrid. 14.4kwh for PHEV
  • Kept the eCVT transmission design
  • 2.5L Atkinson engine (not sure if this is a completely new design or a yet again upgraded Duratec as it has been from 2005 to 2018)
  • 'Target' for 30 miles AER, sounds like minimum on Ford's part. This is NOT an EPA number at this point.
  • New battery charge mode to in addition to our usual Auto/EV Now/EV Later modes. No details on the functionality of any of these in the Escape and if any of it has changed.
  • Cargo space should be much improved as the chassis is better designed to contain the battery. For the PHEV sounds like the floor may still be raised some but potentially much less than the C-Max Energi. No details or confirmation on this. No pictures of the PHEV model interior.
  • For the HEV model one of the car sites estimated based on the gas tank size and overall range that it should be able to hit 38mpg.

#11 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:27 AM

What I read was that you have to choose:

A) Hybrid WITH AWD

OR

B) Plugin WITHOUT AWD...

Just like the Prius, you can't get both.  Seems the Outlander or the Crosstrek are about the only options to get both(at least for similar price/specs).  But I think at the moment if you're like me and the EV portion doesn't cover your range then the Prius AWD is probably the most cost effective.(and reliable)

#12 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:25 AM

Yeah, no AWD for the PHEV version. Kinda make sense. Ford seems to prefer going the traditional transfer case/PTU route versus a dual motor design like the Toyota Highlander. They had this config for the first gen Escape hybrids with AWD as well. With the larger battery they probably don't have the space underneath to run the driveshaft. The HEV would be more flexible in this area.

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:39 AM

Plus AWD makes you lose efficiency.  The CVT transmission of the Cmax is very good, the Mini we have is AWD engine on the front wheels, battery on the rear wheels, its not nearly as efficient as the Cmax, same battery size 7.6kwh but no more than 4.9 miles per kwh possible whereas the Cmax can get up to 6.3 miles per kwh.

-=>Raja.

#14 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:43 AM

Unless you do it like the Prius, add AWD option up to 43mph via brushless motor on the rear axle and still get 50mpg...

Plus AWD makes you lose efficiency. 

-=>Raja.

#15 OFFLINE   kltye

kltye

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIL/WV
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX NRG

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:52 AM

Kind of disappointed that they just put in a larger battery and called it a day (yes, they redesigned the platform so it fits the battery pack more efficiently, but my point is about the drivetrain).

14.4 kWh battery that charges in 3.5 hours is about a 4.1 kWh charge rate on average, which is in between either a usual 3.3 kW or a 6.6 kW L2 charger found in most PHEVs (unless I'm wrong about this?). I'm guessing 14.4 kWh is the total capacity of the pack; they're probably taking 15-20% off the top as a buffer, since you don't want to drain/charge up Li-ions completely all the time. So 14.4 - 20% = 11.52 kWh remaining. Charging that in 3.5 hours yields a 3.29 kWh charge rate, which means they didn't increase the charger capacity/speed at all for this generation. Maybe not an issue for those who can charge overnight, but it'd be nice to hit 6+ kW at public chargers.

Next, the eCVT seems to mostly work as a series hybrid in our car... which, ugh. Not very efficient at all when in hybrid/EV Later mode at low speeds, and there's a small window at highway speeds that it seems to be fine at - but you have to game it by toggling between modes or doing @rbort's methods of driving (which is something my significant other has no interest in doing).

At least they're liquid cooling the battery pack this time.

I might be talking out of my rear here about things - please feel free to correct me :)

#16 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:19 AM

Kind of disappointed that they just put in a larger battery and called it a day (yes, they redesigned the platform so it fits the battery pack more efficiently, but my point is about the drivetrain).

14.4 kWh battery that charges in 3.5 hours is about a 4.1 kWh charge rate on average, which is in between either a usual 3.3 kW or a 6.6 kW L2 charger found in most PHEVs (unless I'm wrong about this?). I'm guessing 14.4 kWh is the total capacity of the pack; they're probably taking 15-20% off the top as a buffer, since you don't want to drain/charge up Li-ions completely all the time. So 14.4 - 20% = 11.52 kWh remaining. Charging that in 3.5 hours yields a 3.29 kWh charge rate, which means they didn't increase the charger capacity/speed at all for this generation. Maybe not an issue for those who can charge overnight, but it'd be nice to hit 6+ kW at public chargers.

Next, the eCVT seems to mostly work as a series hybrid in our car... which, ugh. Not very efficient at all when in hybrid/EV Later mode at low speeds, and there's a small window at highway speeds that it seems to be fine at - but you have to game it by toggling between modes or doing @rbort's methods of driving (which is something my significant other has no interest in doing).

At least they're liquid cooling the battery pack this time.

I might be talking out of my rear here about things - please feel free to correct me :)

Doesn't sound like you are too far off. Though the one minor nitpick correction I'd make is ours are technically parallel hybrids. Serial is where the engine is only generating power and the traction motor is using that to solely move the car. This is how the Volt works in most modes as well as the i3 Rex.

But yeah, the charging rate sounds like it is still stuck at 3.3kw and potentially the eCVT is the same if not simply an upgraded version of those in the C-Max and Fusion. I'm definitely going to wait for more info to come out as there's very little in the way of technnical substance yet but definitely doesn't sound much different from the C-Max or Fusion, just crammed into the Escape and actually marketed giving the current push for more xEVs.

Personally I'm not too bothered by the charge rate or existing parallel hybrid configuration. If it is indeed just a C-Max powertrain thrown in the Escape with a bigger, liquid cooled battery, I would not be terribly disappointed. Could be better, sure. But it would definitely be a contender for a future purchase if I was still looking at PHEVs.

The one thing I am really curious about is how the heating system is handled with the PHEV model. I'm kinda hoping they go a heat pump or other source that isn't our current main coolant loop solution. I know why they did that with the Energi's as it greatly simplifies the build but it is far from efficient. However IF they decide to do something like the Outlander with no electric heating source and relying solely on the engine, then that would be a deal breaker for sure.

But ultimately we're still without a lot of useful technical info and in the grand scheme of things we have just a tiny fraction of useful information given it was just announced. I'll be patiently waiting for more to come out as we get closer to Spring 2020.

#17 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:25 AM

Huh?  What do you mean no electric heating source in the Outlander?

https://www.caranddr...ev-test-review/

The one thing I am really curious about is how the heating system is handled with the PHEV model. I'm kinda hoping they go a heat pump or other source that isn't our current main coolant loop solution. I know why they did that with the Energi's as it greatly simplifies the build but it is far from efficient. However IF they decide to do something like the Outlander with no electric heating source and relying solely on the engine, then that would be a deal 

#18 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:54 AM

Sorry. My brain was stuck on the Outlander for some reason. Meant the Kia Niro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·