Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

creaks and groans

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Allornothing

Allornothing

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPittsburgh
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max SE Energi

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

Is my Cmax energi the only one that creaks and groans going over rougher pavement.  The car just makes noise when driving, the slightest bump in road, uneven pavement, pulling into driveway the car sounds like it's fifteen years old.  It's a 2017 with 4500 miles that I got a month ago and didn't notice it at first but the more I drive it the more noise it makes.  I don't know if it's the weight of the battery, the design or what or maybe I'm the only one having an issue.  I thought I saw a post similar but I can't find it.  Other than the noise I love the car and especially the mileage. 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:06 AM

Nah, mine is older than yours but it definitely does the same thing.  Sounds/feels like the pillars/roof are flexing over a lot of uneven surfaces.

#3 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:43 AM

I suspect it's because Ford chose to reduce/eliminate soundproofing and insulation to save weight. {Jonathan}

#4 OFFLINE   Allornothing

Allornothing

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the input, at least I know it's not just my vehicle.  I have a 15 Escape with 65k on it and it has a more solid feel, less noise, squeaks and groans. 

Thanks again.

#5 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:11 AM

Is my Cmax energi the only one that creaks and groans going over rougher pavement.  The car just makes noise when driving, the slightest bump in road, uneven pavement, pulling into driveway the car sounds like it's fifteen years old.  It's a 2017 with 4500 miles that I got a month ago and didn't notice it at first but the more I drive it the more noise it makes.  I don't know if it's the weight of the battery, the design or what or maybe I'm the only one having an issue.  I thought I saw a post similar but I can't find it.  Other than the noise I love the car and especially the mileage. 

You are definitely not the only one.  Since new, our 2017 titanium ENERGI does nothing but creak and groan (even on smoother pavement - since day 1).  I've posted about this before and I would have honestly walked away from it because that stuff drives me nuts, but my wife loves the car, so I can deal with it as long as it's mechanically sound.  The car is a decent driver otherwise, but FORD sucks at making things "tight", plus the quieter interior amplifies noises more quite honestly. 

Greg

Edited by grege, 04 June 2018 - 02:11 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Allornothing

Allornothing

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:45 AM

Greg,

I knew someone posted, I was looking for it and couldn't find it.  It's my wife's car as well and she loves it, I really like it as well.  But rattles, creaks drive me nuts, I guess I'll just turn up the radio! 

• grege likes this

#7 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

Mine does it too and it's the door gaskets.  Wiping them down with silicone spray lube gets 'em quiet again.  Note: there are two sets; one on the door sill and the other on the door itself.

Edited by fotomoto, 04 June 2018 - 05:39 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Quake97

Quake97

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLansdale, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:47 PM

Would that be the mushy rubber things surround the door?  I just shinetsu'd them and they still creak.  I have a feeling it's something in with the windows that needs lubrication.  I had it from all four doors when things are quiet.

Joe

#9 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:02 AM

Would that be the mushy rubber things surround the door?  I just shinetsu'd them and they still creak.  I have a feeling it's something in with the windows that needs lubrication.  I had it from all four doors when things are quiet.

Joe

It's well beyond just the weatherstripping. I gummi-pfleged ours and that does not help at all. Our titanium cmax energi cracks and pops intermittently at every door panel and it seems to relate to the various "changes in plane" where different materials intersect and simply rub (e.g., where the door panels interest the glass).  So we get squeaks, snaps, and pops frequently.

Greg  

Edited by grege, 18 June 2018 - 02:03 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Quake97

Quake97

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLansdale, PA

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:55 AM

I think it figured it out, but don’t know how to fix it. It’s the black plastic stuff on the outside of the door. If you press on them you can hear the creaking. There’s probably some way to remove them, but haven’t gotten that far yet.

#11 OFFLINE   Allornothing

Allornothing

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:13 AM

I think it figured it out, but don’t know how to fix it. It’s the black plastic stuff on the outside of the door. If you press on them you can hear the creaking. There’s probably some way to remove them, but haven’t gotten that far yet.

Can you post a picture so we know what your describing?  I wiped down the gaskets with silicone spray and it helped but It's still there.  I normally just turn up the radio, but the sound on mine keeps quitting so I can't even do that.  

#12 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWoodstock, IL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

Mine does it too and it's the door gaskets.  Wiping them down with silicone spray lube gets 'em quiet again.  Note: there are two sets; one on the door sill and the other on the door itself.

You have to wipe down the rear hatch gasket in two different places.

The first place is between the hatch and the hatch frame, that goes without saying.

The second place is behind the gasket that goes around the frame.  The gasket folds back on itself, touching all along the opening, creating another opportunity for a squeak.

You have to pull the gasket toward you to create an opening you can wipe down.  As a diagnostic, I took a pack of index cards and put the cards all along the gasket in this area and noted that the squeaking stopped.  Then pulled them out one at a time until the squeaking started again. Thats where I used silicone grease, not lube, to take care of the noise.

• fotomoto likes this

#13 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:33 AM

I have a 2013 and have never had an issue...its one of the quietest cars I have owned.  I wonder if they changed the material of the seals in the new years.

#14 OFFLINE   JeanLucBlue

JeanLucBlue

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX ENERGI

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hey guys I have 'creaks and groans' in my 2013 Energi but with the driver side door. It sounds like my old 1970s convertable with the top up when I go over rough spots. I found out on some days just cracking the window open a tad helped it. But then I hear wind noise.

The black top part seems to be my culprit. It looser now so I am going to have them look at it with other mtce work. 

I did post about this a while back and when I brought it up then, they said they knew some people were complaining of the noise, especially on the driver front door, but did not know what to do about it now, so I shall see next week. 

Otherwise all other areas are fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·