Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Switching between EV modes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Allornothing

Allornothing

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPittsburgh
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max SE Energi

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:22 PM

Hi all, new owner of 2017 Energy, I put a full charge on the vehicle and I'm having difficulty switching between modes, it seems like its stuck on EV mode I can push EV button and change the modes but it seems to default to the EV mode.  It comes up on the left side of the dash, switches between them and then nothing happens.  I'm trying to get it into Auto to make it easier on my wife as she learns the vehicle.  

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.  I've read the manual and it didn't help.  

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

It sometimes says EV at the bottom of the left pane even in EV Auto mode. That just tells you it's currently deciding to run in EV mode at that moment.

EV Now and EV Later are marked by an extra icon in the lower right of the left pane. Pay extra attention to that.

Side note, if you floor the accelerator when parked (trans in 'P') and the engine kicks on, you're either in EV Auto or EV Later.

#3 OFFLINE   Allornothing

Allornothing

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:02 AM

Thanks Spirilis oddly enough I though I was in but it stayed in EV mode until battery kicked.  I didn't know if I had to hit the OK button on steering wheel to confirm or not.  

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,151 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

Auto is the default mode.  You should be driving either in Auto mode or in EV later mode.

Auto mode on city street, EV later mode on faster than 40-45mph and all highways with no interruptions if possible when first starting the engine.  Also if you want to be technical, don't start the engine and just punch it on the highway, that won't work.  It needs to warm up at 1300 rpms before it can take the load, so if you go faster means it will come out of the battery and then the engine has to recharge it all back making your net MPG number lower.  Best to start the engine on a level road at 35mph and try to go between that and 40mph keeping the battery draw down to match the engine if possible (not higher).  Check this in engage screen.  Once the battery load is gone the engine is ready (say 1 minute later) and you can THEN speed up to whatever speed you want to go - gradually, and don't accelerate uphill, wait for the downhill or level road to get up to the speed you want to go.  This is if you want to do it the best way possible.  Some people don't care.

EV mode only use in the winter time if you are trying to prevent the engine from starting, driving with some heat when its not too cold out but you still want heat.

I generally drive with no heat in the winter as to not waste the battery for heat and use it for propulsion instead.  I can dress for the weather.

Once the engine is warmed up, you should be switching back and forth between Auto mode and EV later mode.  Don't use the battery to climb hills in the city, switch to EV later, climb, accelerate (only up to 2 bars on the Empower screen) and then switch back to auto mode.  The battery will last longer this way and the ICE will be most efficient where load is needed.

Hope this helps.  Alot more to it but this is a good start.  Any more questions please ask.  :)

And finally in short, whatever you do DON'T leave the car in Auto mode every day, drive it until the battery is dead no matter what and let it switch to EV later by itself.  That's the wrong thing to do.  You need to actively manage the battery usage.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 20 May 2018 - 07:41 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Allornothing

Allornothing

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Raja thanks for the reply, I've read alot of your posts you seemed to be very versed on these cars.  My wife will be driving it for errands, typically not long trips.  It seems to stay in EV mode I hit EV Auto mode and it still shows EV.  One thing I did notice if I hit the ev button on dash and let's say I hit Auto, it goes to EV, if I hit EV mode it goes to EV later.  I don't know if it needs to go to dealer or not.  I'm still learning this car, any help would be appreciated.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,151 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

There is 1 button in front of the gear shift to hit.

You press it and it cycles between 3 modes.  Car defaults to Auto.

Push it once and you're in EV Now.

Push it again and you're in EV Later.

Push it a third time and you're back to Auto.

Car is in EV mode in all 3 modes.  

In Auto mode engine starts if you floor it.

In EV Now mode engine never starts even if you floor it.

In EV later mode engine starts if you push the gas pedal past 2 bars of power.

Change left screen to Empower and you will see the blue bars.  Stay inside the blue bars and you're in EV mode.  Get out and you're in engine mode.

The blue bars are 4 bars long in Auto and 2 bars long in EV later.  In EV Now they don't exist as the engine never starts. (unless you use up all the battery).

Hope this makes sense.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 CMAX Energi Titainum

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

Raja,

I am new here, and just read this post. I am a little confused on the context of what you are saying. 

My goal is to use electricity only for my short term commuting. I get free electricity from work and I want to maximize my EV battery miles. I tend to put it in EV now mode and run it till the battery is low and the car switches to EV auto mode or I charge it again before it runs out of EV now miles.

Are you assuming you want to maximize your gas mileage say over a tank of fuel, so you are burning gas for sure?  This would be my situation if I was going on a highway trip, which I do do occasionally.

#8 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:36 AM

Allornothing,

I think you haven't realized that the dash button cycles and you have to hit the OK button on the steering wheel to accept the mode that highlighted on the dash. If you just leave a mode highlighted it will eventually accept it just as if  you hit the OK button. This car takes some getting used to how Ford wants you to communicate with it. I blame the software engineers, usually.

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,151 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

Scott,

Sorry what confused you, what would you like to know more?

As far as your car, if its only a 5 mile commute to work don't bother charging at work.  Its not good to have the car sit fully charged all the time especially in the hot summer sun.  I would charge at home once a night and that's it.

You don't want to use EV now until the battery dies, unless you're on some short trip.  But there is no big reason to switch to EV now, you can stay in Auto for this purpose.  If you are going on a long trip do not go to EV now and drain all the battery first and then let the car switch by itself to Auto, that's bad practice and won't get you the best MPG numbers.

Lastly, you're in MA with me, so if you want a lesson on how to best use the car, we can arrange to hook up somewhere and I can show you how things work and answer your questions.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 11 June 2018 - 06:17 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

Scott, I'm in much the same boat as you; my commute is 10-12 miles, depending on route, all local roads.  There's a pay charger at my office and a free charger down the block at Chili's, so I take the walk unless the weather sucks or my knee blows up again.  There's one row of the parking lot that gets afternoon shade, so I part there.

I often go the work-week without burning any gas, but if I'm not going to complete the trip on battery (weekend outings, kid's events, dinner out), I stop avoiding the highways, bump it into EV Later, and burn the gas on the higher-speed section of the trip.

I'd be annoyed at any other PHEV that didn't give me that sort of control over battery and gas usage.

#11 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:14 PM

Hope this helps.  Alot more to it but this is a good start.  Any more questions please ask.  :)

And finally in short, whatever you do DON'T leave the car in Auto mode every day, drive it until the battery is dead no matter what and let it switch to EV later by itself.  That's the wrong thing to do.  You need to actively manage the battery usage.

-=>Raja.

I have the use mode that Stolenmoment describes for his daily commute. How he manages the car on longer trips on weekends makes sense, and seems to agree with what you prescribe, Raja.  I get what you are saying now and for when that applies. To me, different length trips require different techniques depending on what you value most.

I have several driving modes that I routinely do. One is short 7 mile round trip commute to work. I definitely won't pass up free electric charging at work, so I will look for a shady spot to charge and keep the windows open a crack so the interior temp doesn't get too high. I get charging at night for the battery temp, but that is on my nickel and why drive up my electric bill if I can get it for free? "You know, if its free its for me."  Is the battery that sensitive to hot summer charging?  BTW, I am getting 5.5 KW out of the battery right now in EV now mode. My goal for this mode is free "fuel" and  don't burn gas, so far it has been easy to achieve. I can charge every other day if I don't need the extra "juice" for errands after work.

Second mode is I drive around 50 miles which is a Mall trip or trip to the doctor's office. Gloucester is an island, so the saying is "you go ova da bridge". This is a mix of highway and around town. I will be using gas, so do the auto EV and EV later thing to use the battery on the around town part. I plan to use all the battery on the trip to minimize the amount of gas I use. Again, I don't burn gas if I don't  have to. I will charge at home at night for this type of trip, which is usually on weekends.

Lastly is long highway trips, from 150-500 miles. Again, use auto EV and EV later to use battery around town and burn the gas on the highway.

I do question if just using auto EV mode and letting the battery get used up really uses more fuel?? I can see the battery getting drained faster on the highway resulting in fewer miles from the battery, but using the engine on the highway uses more gas than around town, so is there really a difference?  I might try it on my 50 mile Mall runs and see what the car says.

Finally, I have a new driving mode that will last several months. I am on a new temporary work project that is in a different location. It is 24 miles from my house. I get free electricity there as well. So, I have been driving it starting with a full charge in EV now mode and making it with very little battery left. I charge at work to do the 24 miles home and charge at night at my house to do the 24 miles in the AM. So far, I have achieved no gas usage, which is great and my goal. Hopefully by the winter when I need heat it will be over and I will be back to my 7 mile round trip mode.

I tend to use EV now so the gas engine doesn't kick on if I go up a steep hill. By now I can see I would have to floor the pedal to make it kick on in EV auto mode, which I never do (well maybe once when I pulled out in front of someone) so it really doesn't  matter too much. I just feel "greener" in EV now mode.

Edited by ScottB, 16 June 2018 - 09:18 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:13 AM

The thing with Auto on long trips is that when you get to the destination, you don't have any battery left for local electric driving.

If I left it in Auto, the ICE would come on when I have to jump into the local rotary...

#13 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:02 AM

On a long roadtrip I found managing the EV modes important (run EV Later mode almost all the time, certainly on the highway) for the reason that you want to keep battery around for stop & go traffic, and anticipated heavy acceleration... EV Auto mode with a charged battery (charge depletion mode) gives the swiftest acceleration the car can offer.  Just gotta remember to flip back to EV Later once you're back on the highway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·