Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

New (to me) C-Max Energi Wont Start

ssn red triangle wont start towed p0aa6 u0554 stop safely now short to ground no crank yellow wrench

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hopeidontgetthewrench

Hopeidontgetthewrench

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:59 AM

Hi Folks,

I picked up a used 2013 C-Max Energi a couple weeks ago and it ran great for the first four days I owned it (20-30 miles/day). I charged it every night on 120 V. On the fifth day driving home from work a yellow wrench came on while in hybrid mode after depleting the HVB battery. I stopped at a gas station and turned it off. When attempting to turning it back on the yellow wrench was back along with a "stop safely now" message and the car would not start. I had the car towed back to the dealership where the tech pulled up codes P0AA6 and U0554. He cleared the codes and it started back up. The dealer kept it for a week to try and duplicate the issue, but nothing happened so I took it back two days ago and have been driving it 20-30 miles/day with no issues.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them? Any idea what the issue could be? I don't want to let my wife drive the car with our kids because I'm not sure if/when it will die again.

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

Attached are correspondence between the service tech at the dealership and Ford and some pictures of the dashboard when it wouldn't start.

Attached File  Stop Safely Now.jpg   81.37KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Yellow Wrench.jpg   79.51KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Dealer-Ford Communication.pdf   74.91KB   12 downloads

Attached File  Towing.jpg   110.97KB   0 downloads

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 476 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:09 PM

If you look there is a similar topic and it could be related to battery cooling is it getting warmer where you are located?

#3 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

"P0AA6 - Leakage resistance < 195 kohm when charge contactors are closed."

The HV battery is supposed to be electrically isolated from the rest of the car. Apparently some leakage was detected, water intrusion?

• cr08 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Hopeidontgetthewrench

Hopeidontgetthewrench

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the insight, guys. As far as I can tell there is no water inside the car near the battery. I can hear the cooling fan running when I plug it in at night so I think that's working okay. 

Jdbob, what is "P0AA6 - Leakage resistance < 195 kohm when charge contactors are closed" from? Ford? I'm a mechanical engineer, but I must admit I don't understand what electrical leakage is. It is a short circuit? If so, there would be a lot of smoke and the electrical components would be fried. 

In planning for this to happen again, I'd like to be able to reset the car the same way the tech did at the dealership. Does anyone know a good way to do this? Disconnect the 12V? Pull the HV disconnect behind the seat?

#5 OFFLINE   Hopeidontgetthewrench

Hopeidontgetthewrench

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:11 PM

@Jdbob got me thinking more about the water intrusion theory. Just before I bought it, the dealer did a thorough detailing and wash which included shampooing the carpets. To a regular guy who is not used to dealing with HV batteries, he probably just cleaned it the way every other ICE car gets cleaned without thinking about the amount of liquid that may have made its way onto the frame/chasis of the vehicle. Doing some more investigation, I took off the plastic covers to the battery and found what appears to be a WATER STAIN (see attached pics)! Could this be my issue? Now that it's dry, is the issue gone? I've been driving it for the past four days without any problems. In fact, for a 2013, the battery seems in pretty decent shape and I'm getting about 18-20 miles/charge.

What do you guys think? Is it possible I don't have a lemon after all? Just an over-zealous cleaning crew?

Attached Files

#6 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

I got the error code from a document called OBDSM1602_HEV.pdf which you should be able to find with google. Warning - it is very technical.

A short circuit would be 0 ohms rather than 195K (195000). 195K ohms is somewhere between a short circuit and an open circuit :) I guess they decided that anything less than 195K would be considered an error. Note that the high voltage is present in many places such as:

The HV Battery

The transmission and it's power converter.

The resistive heater

The A/C compressor

You can tell the HV wiring because the cables are orange.

The last 3 are all in the engine compartment. The cables and connectors are of course supposed to be waterproof. But stuff happens. Of course we don't actually know that was the problem at all.

There are a number of ways to reset error codes. I use a program called Forscan which is available for Windows PC, Apple phones, and Android phones. You also need an adapter that plugs into the OBD-II connector which is behind a plastic door under and to the left of the steering wheel. Do a search for Forscan on this forum if you want more information.

• fotomoto likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ssn, red triangle, wont start, towed, p0aa6, u0554, stop safely now, short to ground, no crank, yellow wrench

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·