Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Using the charger while exposed to the outside

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wnyguy2003

wnyguy2003

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCheektowaga, NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

Hi all

I just joined this site.  Looks like a lot of info!

I just moved and will be charging the car outside.  Can I expose the charger to the elements or does it need to be incased in something so the weather can't 

damage it? 

Also, what amp breaker do I need to install in order to charge the car on it's own line?

Thanks very much!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

Charging outside should not be a problem. I would position the unit off the ground if possible.  I also located my charger is a protected area to keep rain off it. Having a place to hang the charge cord is another plus to help it out of the way and off the ground.

A dedicated 15Amp circuit would work but a dedicated 20Amp circuit would be better if you are planing to put one in. Also get a high quality receptacle to help avoid overheating the plug that some people have encountered. Avoiding extension cords is advisable but if you do use one make sure it is at least 16 gauge or better yet 12gauge and as short as possible. 

Tom

Edited by Tom_NC_1, 01 May 2018 - 05:33 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   JeanLucBlue

JeanLucBlue

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX ENERGI

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:04 PM

I have not had any problems with my charger outside. I run it from my regular household plugged outside with the cord running on the ground alongside the base of the house to my car. However, I do have the 'box' part of the cord up on a little stand so it doesn't sit on the ground and I can see the blinking green light to know that it is working. 

#4 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

Without a garage, I worried about charging outdoors. Until I got my NRG Ti, and became familiar with the process. I made up this simple system to keep the plug off the ground. Only cheap parts from Ace Hardware were needed: a plastic electrical junction box, turned open-end-down, and a two-prong screw hook that happened to be the perfect width for the narrow spot on the plug.

NOTE- the uploader insists on posting this upside down. Just turn this 180 degrees, or you'll wind up with a not-so-clever installation!

Attached Files

Edited by GTIguy, 02 May 2018 - 11:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·