Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a sweet spot for battery level with EV later hybrid mode?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:46 AM

I sometimes wonder what is the effect of battery charge level on efficiency in hybrid mode when using EV Later. Is a full charge what you are striving for before embarking on a lengthy highway ride or does that limit the efficiency of the hybrid mode as the car will be seeking to preserve that charge?

Does charge level matter at all in hybrid mode?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:57 AM

+2% of the set point.  So 93% EV later or less will be good, as you want the battery to go up to 95% if you set it at 93 or 62% if you set it at 60%.

Once you charge the "hybrid" battery to +2% of the EV later set point, the gas engine will start to sing high MPG numbers down the highway at 65mph.

See videos I made about this.  They are posted here.  Once you reach +2% above the set point, you will want to "re-ignite" the engine after every downhill to prevent the battery from discharging and then having to recharge back up.  Also shown another video about this.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 26 April 2018 - 05:59 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,261 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:36 AM

Would also depend on the terrain as driving in a mountainous area provides more opportunities for "free" regen on the downhill side so having more room in the battery would be better.  

I live on coastal plains (flat as a pancake) and don't really see any difference on fuel economy vs SOC but then again I pretty much just lock on the CC and drive.  

#4 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

Would also depend on the terrain as driving in a mountainous area provides more opportunities for "free" regen on the downhill side so having more room in the battery would be better.  

Very true. I've made mistakes in the past where my SOC was too high to make use of downhill regeneration forcing the use of friction brakes. Last fall I came down 5600 feet but fortunately I was into the hybrid portion of the battery when I started. By the time I got to the bottom I had 95% charge.

• fotomoto likes this

#5 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 314 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

To actually answer the question, there's no real sweet spot.

Entering the highway at full charge doesn't leave you any headroom to absorb downhill or deceleration energy; I typically switch from EV to EV Later when I'm on the ramp, when I know I won't be stopping for the next few minutes as the ICE warms up (so to speak).

For best battery lifetime, it's probably 50% or below; the cells prefer not to be at 0% or 100%.

For efficiency, it doesn't much matter, just cycle all the way around to EV later at the bottom of the hills to reap the energy you just gained.

Of course, if you play the game like I do, and cycle around whenever it's above the set point on the (mostly) flat, you're using gas to charge the battery, which is probably a losing proposition unless you're going to use that energy (switch to EV or Auto) when you leave the highway.

Slowing from freeway speeds gets you a few percent, so slowing down for an interchange impels me to cycle the EV button while on the ramp.

I also drive in L, and have learned to feather the pedal to charge or discharge pretty much as I wish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·